Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Carry a 1911? Gun Guys

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Are they be the best/first choice for a serious defensive pistol for me? No.

But damnitall, they sure ride nice.
    It's still a relevant platform in a relevant caliber. That actually says a lot about a weapon designed 110 years ago. If a 1911 is what blows your skirt, by all means go for it. I still carry a 5" sometimes just because it's so damn American, and by golly I just like it.

Trying to prove any gun is the "best ever" is a fool's errand. There's so many metrics and personal preferences that it's impossible to quantify. If there was one, we'd surely know by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    It's still a relevant platform in a relevant caliber. That actually says a lot about a weapon designed 110 years ago. If a 1911 is what blows your skirt, by all means go for it. I still carry a 5" sometimes just because it's so damn American, and by golly I just like it.

Trying to prove any gun is the "best ever" is a fool's errand. There's so many metrics and personal preferences that it's impossible to quantify. If there was one, we'd surely know by now.
    We're now on what, eight pages of comments, on a fairly innocuous video of two old guys making a sales pitch for an old product. Everyone has something to say, even if they really have nothing to say. "Best ever" can usually be translated into, "seeking validation for my lifestyle brand".
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    38 Super with a 9mm barrel for practice.
    Yep !! 100% agree and I'd add a .22lr top end for practice. Mine is a plain 'ol Colt .38 super with very few reliability modifications; conservative polish on the feed ramp and breach face, that's it.
    They are heavy and for me that's the biggest drawback.

It's funny... I have Glocks and Berettas that are reliable and do everything that I want / need. I look at the Glocks the same way that I look at a fork in the drawer in the kitchen. The Berettas, while a bit more appealing to my soul from a mechanical art perspective, really just don't compare to the pull I feel for 1911s. No clue why. I only own one 1911. I don't think it offers anything over my current platforms. In many ways, it offers a less reliable, replaceable, and cost-effective option. But, darn it...why do I dream of just giving it all up and carrying and shooting 1911s in leather holsters? It makes no logical sense. So far I have resisted...so far...

I shot my LEOSA requal this week. Once with a lightweight Commander sized SR1911 in 9mm, once with a G19.5. Speed rocks were dead center, CNS shots were nearly touching, overall group was smaller, hits seemed faster…with the Commander. No malfunctions, no parts breakage, no drama.

I started on the job in 1982 carrying a 5” Colt 1911, I have carried a bunch of other guns over the years but my neural pathways always lead back to 1911.

I find I always come to the 1911 back within a month of trying something else. I've tried S&W 4 digit, Glock, H&K, and S&W M&P2.0. But I've been carrying a 1911 since the early 80's. I'm just confident in my abilities with it. I've never identified a real issue(s) the other pistols were better suited for. I got the ACW Classic Carry to replace a fickle WC Hackathorn Commander. I haven't been able to shoot it quite as much due to the ammo shortage, but after +1100 rounds (200 duty load JHP) I've had no stoppages of any type. I did clean it once. Well make pistol. As for being a relevant choice, it is as much as I am, I guess.

JW
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I just like mine, and have found it to be an easy option for me. Easy to carry, even concealed IWB under a t-shirt. Easy to shoot, and I can suck at 25 yards the way most people suck at 7.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    This thread made me get out mine and spend time dry firing. Now I think I will shoot in a match. Since 1911s aren't shot much, I will come in well.

Funny to hear "...1911s aren't shot much..." in matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This thread made me get out mine and spend time dry firing. Now I think I will shoot in a match. Since 1911s aren't shot much, I will come in well.

Site Supporter
    That might be a local effect but I see it here in Erie County and back in San Antonio. You might see 3 out of twenty participants with a classic single stack 1911..

User Tag List