Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Carry a 1911? Gun Guys

I just started thinking about the 1911. It makes a lot of sense, simple , accurate, safe. I had a BUL SAS which was so light and seemed the perfect fit. Like a dumbass sold it in moment of stupidity. Staccato is next on my list, I am thinkin a C2. I have a Dan Wesson ECO in 9 mm that is crazy smooth, insanely accurate. I know it’s the Indian and not the arrow, but I it makes it way easier. Two I really miss are an old aluminum frame Government Springfield, and a Springfield I had in .40.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    The Glock 21 is a handful, no doubt...but if you have large++ sized hands and can fit it, you'll find the 21 recoils softer than a 1911 as well, holds 13+1, it's a lot easier to suppress if that's something you're into, and sights are a lot easier to come by and change...it's near sacrilege, I know, but it actually is a great platform for launching 45ACP. The 37 was a swing at it, but since it never caught on...plinking ammo is near unobtanium, never mind good self-defense ammo; suppressing it is impossible unless you can find someone making threaded barrels; so on so forth...

The Gen 4 (without a backstrap), and Gen 3 SF models are easier to get non-XL hands around. I have a straight up Gen 3, so I don't know if they feel about the same to shoot, though I can't imagine recoil characteristics would change that much between them based on grip size..
    There in lies the rub. Unfortunately, I do not have large hands. I wear size 8 nomex flight gloves and jockey somewhere between medium and large nitrile gloves. I have not jumped down the suppressor rabbit hole and I'm aware that there is not aftermarket threaded barrels for 45GAP. There are more people denigrating 45GAP than have ever shot it. I realize it's not for everyone nor is it mainstream, but I am happy with it. The grip and trigger reach are identical to my G22 and G17. It's no 1911 but, I'm in bed with Block for the foreseeable future.

on high mileage G21s, they can go out of time due to wear and misfires occurs with slow deliberate press as opposed to hammer press.

look for a lot of peening on the firing pin cuts for the firing pin safety plunger. that means they are contacting each other.

The fix was replacing trigger bars and firing pin safety. I recall Glock telling me to buy a mess of trigger bars and hold them up to the light and those that had taller firing pin safety extensions..... to put those aside and use them to fix the ones that dont pass inspection.

The ultimate fix to all that was G21 + trigger bars.

A friend had a brand new G20 that was misfiring with slow press. We put a + trigger bar and went 100% after that.

we were in that platform from 1992 till 2020. It was a great piece, take care of it and it will last you a quite a while. My 1993 (AFN710) was replaced in 2011. While I carried something else on duty post 1998, I still carried it here and there and I still shot this piece a lot at firearm trainings and matches.

Funny story, I was big into SW with my CQB 45 around mid 2000s, We hosted a Glock Workshop at our range. The instructor was a jokester and I kept messing with him to shoot my CQB for the class. He finally got tired of me pestering him and he said... go put it on and we will have a contest. I ran to strap on my rig with the SW CQB45. We were standing on the caleche road which was about 90 yards from the range dirt berm. He said we will start from here. I was in my element as I knew the hold over for 100 yards with that piece. He said, me first. He drew his G35.... unloaded it and threw it about 25 yards down the caleche road and it bounced several times. He said your turn. With great disappointed I said you won. The entire class was laughing. He got eeee.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

" He drew his G35.... unloaded it and threw it about 25 yards down the caleche road and it bounced several times. He said your turn. With great disappointed I said you won. The entire class was laughing. He got eeee."

Oh man, that was cold. Cruel and cold, but I love it. When I was packing my Shorty .45 I'd've fallen for the same trick.

Cat
    Last edited by Catshooter; 08-02-2021 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
    I've kept up with this thread from the beginning and have enjoyed everyone's input. I'm a lover of the 1911/1911A1 platform and carried one daily for many years. She currently resides put away for only to be handled and looked at very seldomly a kin to having coffee with an old girlfriend reminiscing about the old times. I'm issued a G17.5 and carry my personal G17.5 off duty. I did not go quietly to the Glock continuum. I still love 45's and miss my 1911.

Back in 2003, Glock came out with models 37, 38, and 39 chambered in 45GAP. It was adopted by several state police departments. At the time I was issued a G22.4. To say I did not like the G22 would be an understatement. I impulsively sought out a G37.4 and bought it. It fit the 45 category while keeping all other ergos consistent with my duty pistol. Since then, my G22 and I worked out our differences and I got to purchase her after the transition to the G17. I also got another G37.4 at a steal, new in the box.

The Point to this rambling thought, is the fact that the G37's felt recoil is less than that of my 1911. I will always love and opine for my 1911. The G37 fits the niche and is able to combine them for now.
    I'm with you man. On a glove fit sizing chart my palms/thumb are extra extra large, finger just barley make medium so the 21 is out for me. I tried, I really tried. Love the round but just can't live with the girth.

The GAPs are the bomb. I the 39 & 37, never owned a 38. And you're right, many people (with tiny to zero imaginations) see no need for them. Not all of us have hands like SW CQB 45. I swear that guy could palm a medicine ball.

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry40sw View Post
    There in lies the rub. Unfortunately, I do not have large hands. I wear size 8 nomex flight gloves and jockey somewhere between medium and large nitrile gloves. I have not jumped down the suppressor rabbit hole and I'm aware that there is not aftermarket threaded barrels for 45GAP. There are more people denigrating 45GAP than have ever shot it. I realize it's not for everyone nor is it mainstream, but I am happy with it. The grip and trigger reach are identical to my G22 and G17. It's no 1911 but, I'm in bed with Block for the foreseeable future.
    To be honest, here (this forum) at least, I don't think anyone would denigrate 45GAP, other than it was a solution to a problem pretty much no one asked for...except for maybe like the NYSP (who I believe issued it)...and the NYSP is controlled by ex-NYPD, who have about as much institutional gun knowledge as they have institutional farming knowledge. Man, I'm glad I escaped that place...anyway.

I wouldn't mind a 45 GAP but I'm one of the weird ones that don't mind the size of a 45ACP double stack...so for me, shrinking it into a 9mm-sized platform doesn't buy me anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    To be honest, here (this forum) at least, I don't think anyone would denigrate 45GAP, other than it was a solution to a problem pretty much no one asked for...except for maybe like the NYSP (who I believe issued it)...and the NYSP is controlled by ex-NYPD, who have about as much institutional gun knowledge as they have institutional farming knowledge. Man, I'm glad I escaped that place...anyway.

I wouldn't mind a 45 GAP but I'm one of the weird ones that don't mind the size of a 45ACP double stack...so for me, shrinking it into a 9mm-sized platform doesn't buy me anything.
    But see Ed, you just did. It is very much a solution to a problem of mine (and others'): a .45 in a Glock I can hold and use comfortably. You're not weird that a 21 fits you, you just have hands/fingers that are correct for it. I'm the weird one, my fingers are way to short for the rest of my hand.

Even though I carried a 19 for more than 15 years (oh the beans in the wheel!) I was never happy with the cartridge. I want something that hits harder so I'm a sucker for a .45.

I think that if Glock had swapped places with the .40 & the GAP (GAP in '91) it would have ended up with more acceptance.

Cat

Nobody here is truly weird... Weird would be carrying a .400 Corbon.

A double-stack .400 Cor-Bon.

Cat

.41 Action Express for the weird hippster win.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List