Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal .38 Special "Train and Protect" LSWC-HP

Site Supporter

Federal .38 Special "Train and Protect" LSWC-HP

Federal's description is here. It looks interesting but I haven't found any testing online. I do know that the last iteration of Federal's +P LSWC-HP load was known for not expanding. Has anyone found anything on this new load?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Federal's description is here. It looks interesting but I haven't found any testing online. I do know that the last iteration of Federal's +P LSWC-HP load was known for not expanding. Has anyone found anything on this new load?
    At only 830 fps I would have zero confidence of getting ANY expansion with this load, if the lead alloy and cavity geometry if the same as their older 38G.

The Federal 38G +P load which was 50 fps faster was not a stellar performer.

Site Supporter
    Interested in following. Federal may have pulled a rabbit out of a hat. I would have to believe they released it knowing they would catch flak if it didn’t work. Worst case scenario it’s another source for LSWC.

Are there not already loads that work?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Are there not already loads that work?
    Yes, but availability is sketchy at this time. I first saw my carry load, Remington's 158-grain LSWC-HP, for sale today after about a year of its not being out there. Winchester's version is supposed to be good too. If Federal's new iteration of this load works well it'd give us another option. Plus it's about half the price - $.80/round versus $1.50/round for the Remington. I might order a couple of boxes just to play with it.

ETA: I ordered two boxes off Federal's website. I'll check for velocity and POI/POA when it gets here.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 07-20-2021 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Interested in following. Federal may have pulled a rabbit out of a hat. I would have to believe they released it knowing they would catch flak if it didn’t work. Worst case scenario it’s another source for LSWC.
    I think it far more likely it was a way to use up the millions of reject bullets accumulated over the years which failed the LE performance spec.

Developing in a special box to appeal to the mall ninjas and charging an exhorbitant price is good marketing and a way to make money selling your scrap.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I think it far more likely it was a way to use up the millions of reject bullets accumulated over the years which failed the LE performance spec.

Developing in a special box to appeal to the mall ninjas and charging an exhorbitant price is good marketing and a way to make money selling your scrap.
    Sounds like one heck of a business model

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It's exactly same as that load just in new packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Sounds like one heck of a business model
    Not the first time they've done it either. 168-grain .308 Match #308M with soft case heads which the government rejected repacked for commercial sale.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    It's exactly same as that load just in new packaging.
    Do you know this, or is it your inner snark monster talking?

User Tag List