Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nice Neighborhood and Equipment choice

Site Supporter

The Nice Neighborhood and Equipment choice

Being in a rain soaking morning, I read someone wanting advice about the home defense handgun. Usual revolver vs. semi question from someone that seems new to the game. One thing that touched me was he said - I live in a decent neighborhood with low crime, so under the circumstances, it fits the bill.

The it was a J frame. Doesn't want a rifle or shotgun. I can see that living in AK or the like will influence the choice as to OMG, the bear is eating grandma! We have bears 6 miles off and on the very remote chance I saw one, it decided to eat my artisanal cheese - I have a shotgun with slugs (LOL). But for break in humans? Why are humans in decent neighbors nicer than break in criminals in 'bad' neighborhoods. Certainly that horror show in CT with the girls tortured and burnt alive was in a 'nice' neighborhood.

Thus, I don't see 'decent neighborhood' as a factor in a home SD choice. Just a morning thought.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Being in a rain soaking morning, I read someone wanting advice about the home defense handgun. Usual revolver vs. semi question from someone that seems new to the game. One thing that touched me was he said - I live in a decent neighborhood with low crime, so under the circumstances, it fits the bill.

The it was a J frame. Doesn't want a rifle or shotgun. I can see that living in AK or the like will influence the choice as to OMG, the bear is eating grandma! We have bears 6 miles off and on the very remote chance I saw one, it decided to eat my artisanal cheese - I have a shotgun with slugs (LOL). But for break in humans? Why are humans in decent neighbors nicer than break in criminals in 'bad' neighborhoods. Certainly that horror show in CT with the girls tortured and burnt alive was in a 'nice' neighborhood.

Thus, I don't see 'decent neighborhood' as a factor in a home SD choice. Just a morning thought.
    It’s 2023. Criminals are mobile, particularly the smarter / more dangerous variety. They are not you and they don’t think like you. Nice neighborhoods full of nice soft people and their nice things are targets.

There’s an old saying that when the rabbit screams, the fox comes running, but not to help.

Site Supporter
    There are no nice neighborhoods anymore, if there ever were. Nice neighborhoods are the Take Out Window for Shitbags... My wife tells me I'm a pessimist. I say I'm a realist. 46 years of Police Work will do that to you...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s 2023. Criminals are mobile, particularly the smarter / more dangerous variety. They are not you and they don’t think like you. Nice neighborhoods full of nice soft people and their nice things are targets.

There’s an old saying that when the rabbit screams, the fox comes running, but not to help.
    Bingo. Criminals have cars just like you and me and they can use those cars to take them from the ghettos of the inner city to the nice McMansions of the the suburbs. If those criminals happen not to actually own a car, they can steal one and use it to commit their crimes. Those criminals also know that the people in the suburbs generally have nice things in their homes and jobs that take them out of their homes for the majority of the week so those homes should be unoccupied during the day.

There are plenty of accounts of home invasions that were originally planned as unoccupied burglaries but the residents just happened to be off that day or they worked nights or this or that. Maybe the guy who used to live in the house you just moved into was slinging dope out of his home and the guys planning to rob him don’t know he’s since moved out and sold his house to you. Tom Givens has written plenty about the myth of the “nice neighborhood.” He’s written fairly recently about violent crime in his nice Florida town. Why wouldn’t criminals find their way to nice areas? Unless you’re robbing drug dealers of their dope and cash, there isn’t much valuable stuff to steal in the hood. Sometimes, those criminals even move to the nice neighborhoods for the same reasons normal people do. That doesn’t mean they stop committing crimes.

Living in a decent neighborhood isn’t some forcefield against violent crime. All it does is decrease your odds of being a victim a little bit.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Bingo. Criminals have cars just like you and me and they can use those cars to take them from the ghettos of the inner city to the nice McMansions of the the suburbs. If those criminals happen not to actually own a car, they can steal one and use it to commit their crimes. Those criminals also know that the people in the suburbs generally have nice things in their homes and jobs that take them out of their homes for the majority of the week so those homes should be unoccupied during the day.

There are plenty of accounts of home invasions that were originally planned as unoccupied burglaries but the residents just happened to be off that day or they worked nights or this or that. Maybe the guy who used to live in the house you just moved into was slinging dope out of his home and the guys planning to rob him don’t know he’s since moved out and sold his house to you. Tom Givens has written plenty about the myth of the “nice neighborhood.” He’s written fairly recently about violent crime in his nice Florida town. Why wouldn’t criminals find their way to nice areas? Unless you’re robbing drug dealers of their dope and cash, there isn’t much valuable stuff to steal in the hood. Sometimes, those criminals even move to the nice neighborhoods for the same reasons normal people do. That doesn’t mean they stop committing crimes.

Living in a decent neighborhood isn’t some forcefield against violent crime. All it does is decrease your odds of being a victim a little bit.
    From the man himself:

https://rangemaster.com/wp-content/u...Newsletter.pdf

“Many years ago there were “safe” parts of cities and places to avoid. That has all changed. Modern society is completely mobile, and thugs can be encountered anywhere, at any time.”

We moved from 20 miles outside of DC to a small town in southwestern Va in 19. In 2020-2021 we both said we are SO d--n glad we made that move. But we both carry 100% of the time away from the house. We both have a 'get home bag' in our car based on a thread here back then about how to get home if you get caught in the middle of one of those 'mostly peaceful' demonstrations. 5 mags for the carry gun, IFAC, knife, light, etc. I am sitting at my desk and the drawer to my right is open. In it there is an M9A1 w/ 20 rnd mag, light, laser, and a spare mag. M9A3 same equipment in the kitchen. Our carry guns are in those same two rooms. Long guns in the safes. I can't imagine any safer place to live, but we take nothing for granted either. EDIT to ad. Guys and gals please check into local idpa or uspsa matches. I just shot my first 2 gun match today. Been shooting pistol matches for about 7-8 years. What I was reminded of today is how competition, even the lowest level, shows you how your stuff works...or doesn't. I got an M&P folding pistol caliber carbine for this match. Put a dot sight on it did maybe 150 rnds of practice last week. The dot was fine but in the match w/ unusual shooting positions I realize I need to space it up 1/4 inch so it is easier to acquire the dot w/o having to smash my face on to the stock. I also found that the pistol grip is kind of short. Probably fits a 15 rnd mag. The 17 and 23 rnd mags all have typical spacers on them and that spacer was dragging on the bottom of my palm so the mag didn't drop free. No spring pushing it out like my M9A1 so it is just gravity. Keep the grip vertical and pulled the spacers off, and problem solved.
    Last edited by CraigS; 07-29-2023 at 04:53 PM.

If your "nice" or not so nice neighborhood is in New York State you'll be limited to 10 rounds in a pistol or rifle. For equipment, you'll probably be best served with a 9mm or other duty caliber semi-auto pistol that you are familiar with along with a few loaded magazines and a good flashlight.

New York passed the "SAFE Act" a few years ago to keep people safe from "gun crime" but I doubt it lives up to the hype.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Site Supporter
    Lately, my answer is just "Glock 26"

I got one thinking it would be the gun I carried in the summer, but I wound up carrying it in the winter too. It's just easy. Easy to carry, easy to shoot, easy to find shit for, and in my (not expert) opinion, it is the greatest pistol that Glock ever made. Even better than the 19. And especially better once the MOS version becomes available for we, the peasantry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    “Many years ago there were “safe” parts of cities and places to avoid. That has all changed. Modern society is completely mobile, and thugs can be encountered anywhere, at any time.”
    This is absolutely correct, but the probability is still a variable. The other day I goofed on my new motorcycle and damn near ran out of gas. I was actually on my way to the range, and was carrying my normal carry gun, but I still backtracked to an area where I was more comfortable getting gas. No need to "poke the bear" on my shiny new bike that would be out of place. Managing a motorcycle at low speed and farting around at a gas pump (with limited visibility with a full-face helmet), is awkward and not conducive to presenting a pistol (both hands are required to flee on a bike) so I did what I could on the limited remaining range and went to a (little) better place to get gas.

I always liked the adages of "If you are carrying a gun do not go to places you wouldn't go if you are not carrying a gun" and "If you really think you are going to need a gun at the grocery go to a different grocery", but some people confuse this with a reason to not carry a gun.

Paradoxically, if he were to take advantage of the J-frame's greatest feature and keep it on him at all times, I would argue that he would be in a very strong position compared to most. However, the "nice areas" comment makes me think that the revolver will probably live out its days in a drawer or safe.

User Tag List