Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beretta 92X line

Site Supporter
    A 92x no rail compact is something I really want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I was wondering if someone would ask that question, and it's a good one.

The two main reasons I went the Beretta route vs. a 2011 or conceptually similar pistol are:
    1) For a serious use gun I require multiple copies -- one for carry, one for home defense, and one for training/practice. The price of the three Berettas is so much lower than the price for three Staccatos or especially three EDC X9s.
    2) Longevity. If I do end up keeping the Berettas I am pretty confident parts will be available for them for the rest of my life, as I would be with Glocks and 1911s. I hope Staccato is successful and stays around and I'm pretty sure Wilson Combat will be there long term, but will the current model Staccatos and the EDC X9? Hard to say.

But yes I have thought about exploring those options as well. When it comes to the WC gun, $10K vs $2.5K for a brace of three pistols is a huge difference. Even the Staccato is more than twice the price of a Beretta. I'm not saying the guns aren't worth the money, but money is a factor.

I still shoot 1911s, but just because I like them. All of my real practice is with the guns I actually use or plan to use.
    I thought the price would be a factor, but saw you were buying several, thought maybe if you bought fewer, however you thoroughly explain that. As for parts, many parts are interchangeable with a standard 1911. Staccato used to be STI, which I’ve been shooting since 1997 or so. As for Wilson, they’re expanding the line so I think they’re here to stay for some time.

So parts probably not an issue, but yes, the price is a factor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I thought the price would be a factor, but saw you were buying several, thought maybe if you bought fewer, however you thoroughly explain that. As for parts, many parts are interchangeable with a standard 1911. Staccato used to be STI, which I’ve been shooting since 1997 or so. As for Wilson, they’re expanding the line so I think they’re here to stay for some time.

So parts probably not an issue, but yes, the price is a factor.
    Glad to hear WC is expanding the line, yeah that makes it more likely they will support the guns for some time.

It seems like Staccato has been making changes to their model lineup frequently. Do they have a good track record for supporting discontinued models?

And I'm sure I could adjust to living with fewer copies of a gun if I had to. What I described is just what I am used to and have been doing for some years now. Typically I swap the carry gun and training gun once in a while to share the round count between them. It was a fairly expensive practice with 1911s too. It's just the way I do it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    It seems like Staccato has been making changes to their model lineup frequently. Do they have a good track record for supporting discontinued models?

And I'm sure I could adjust to living with fewer copies of a gun if I had to. What I described is just what I am used to and have been doing for some years now. Typically I swap the carry gun and training gun once in a while to share the round count between them. It was a fairly expensive practice with 1911s too. It's just the way I do it.
    You probably know this, but FWIW the only parts that are non-standard on 2011’s vs 1911’s are the magazine, Mag catch, Ejector pin, Trigger MSH pin. And those should be available from any of the different companies that make wdiebody 1911 frames based on the origins CMC design. That’s part of why the system has been popular with gamers since it came out.

I think there’s plenty of reasons to not own a 2011 based pistol, but parts availability/support isn’t one of them.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    You probably know this, but FWIW the only parts that are non-standard on 2011’s vs 1911’s are the magazine, ...
    For me, you can kind of stop there. Staccato uses a mag that is probably the best of the 2011's, and isn't compatible with many of the other double stack 2011's, and is actually a fairly new addition. They are not cheap either.

I'm a long time 1911 guy, but I recently dipped my toe into the Beretta world with a Langdon PX4 full size carry model. It seems like a nice pistol.

I get the feeling I'll end up a 92X at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    For me, you can kind of stop there. Staccato uses a mag that is probably the best of the 2011's, and isn't compatible with many of the other double stack 2011's….
    I’m willing to bet I have 20+ year old magazines that will fit and function in so called “Staccatos”.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’m willing to bet I have 20+ year old magazines that will fit and function in so called “Staccatos”.
    My compatibility point was in regards to the difference in double stack 1911 mags, from Para vs RIA vs STI vs etc.

In single stack 1911's, you're using the same mags across all the manufacturers.

Did you ever have to "tune" your STI mags?

My point with Staccato mags is STI mags were OK, but nearly everybody had to fiddle with them. The current STI mags (Gen 3?) have the reputation of being an improvement, but of course they are $80 mags. Didn't forum member Duke bail on the Staccato due to frustration fiddling with mags?

Did you ever have to "tune" your STI mags?

My point with Staccato mags is STI mags were OK, but nearly everybody had to fiddle with them. The current STI mags (Gen 3?) have the reputation of being an improvement, but of course they are $80 mags. Didn't forum member Duke bail on the Staccato due to frustration fiddling with mags?
    None of my STI or SV magazines are tuned. I either got real lucky or maybe my guns work well.

In single stack 1911's, you're using the same mags across all the manufacturers.
    Maybe in .45. I’ve read posts here where people say they have to use Wilson mags in their brand X 9mm 1911, but Tripps in brand Y.

Also, the number of variations and “improvements” to the 9mm 1911 magazine over the years far exceed anything STI has done.

But way off topic, congrats on the Berettas.

To make the defense 92s even better relatively inexpensively;
    - LTT 13# hammer spring
    - skeleton hammer
    - DIY smooth and polish hammer strut, trigger bar
    - shoot Federal or CCI ammo or test other ammo for reliability
    To make them even better;
    - LTT trigger job in a bag in black
    I suggest black vs NP3 only because it is easy to get the SA trigger under 3# w/ the NP3 which I don't think is a good idea for a defense gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    To make the defense 92s even better relatively inexpensively;
    - LTT 13# hammer spring
    - skeleton hammer
    - DIY smooth and polish hammer strut, trigger bar
    - shoot Federal or CCI ammo or test other ammo for reliability
    To make them even better;
    - LTT trigger job in a bag in black
    I suggest black vs NP3 only because it is easy to get the SA trigger under 3# w/ the NP3 which I don't think is a good idea for a defense gun.
    Thanks.

I have the LTT 13# hammer spring installed in all three of my 92Xs. My carry ammo is 124gr Federal HST, and I try to buy the corresponding American Eagle FMJ for practice whenever I can.

How does the skeleton hammer help?

I've thought about doing some more work on the triggers including TJIAB -- but I hesitate to do anything that makes the guns dependent on third party parts availability.

User Tag List