Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beretta 92X line

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I found that my 92X-D balanced much more like a 5" 9mm 1911 after I installed a factory stainless steel guide-rod.
    Interesting. I see that the steel one will add about an ounce, so that would be a positive for me.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Hopefully, I am not out of line resurrecting this thread, but I am at that awkward stage where I think I may need to get a relatively front-heavy, full-size, double-stack DA/SA 9mm with a manual safety and weaponlight rail for nightstand/credenza use buy two people with varying degrees of experience. The full-size 92X seems - at least on paper - to be a contender.

Though you are moving to other platforms, how close did you feel that the 92X came to being a 5" 9mm 1911 analogue?
    I don’t really see any similarities at all in handling, balance, etc between my 92X full-size and a 1911. They’re just totally different to me.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I don’t really see any similarities at all in handling, balance, etc between my 92X full-size and a 1911. They’re just totally different to me.
    Hmm...

I may be on a wild goose chase.

(There will be a TLR-1 or equivalent hung on the front, it that makes a difference.)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Hmm...

I may be on a wild goose chase.

(There will be a TLR-1 or equivalent hung on the front, it that makes a difference.)
    I dont think there’s anything you can do on the front end to make a 92, even one with a Vertec frame like the 92X feel like a 1911. In my hands at least, the 1911 seems longer front to back than the 92, but the 92 is wider side to side. Then there’s trigger reach. 92 is gonna be longer in DA mode. The trigger characteristics are quite different, even when the 92 is in SA mode.

The 92 having an alloy frame makes it feel a little more top heavy than the 1911 to me. 1911 May have more weight out at the nose than the 92, hard to say. Adding guide rod weight or a WML might rectify that difference, but I don’t think it’s gonna equal out all of the others.

Site Supporter
    Hopefully, I am not out of line resurrecting this thread, but I am at that awkward stage where I think I may need to get a relatively front-heavy, full-size, double-stack DA/SA 9mm with a manual safety and weaponlight rail for nightstand/credenza use buy two people with varying degrees of experience. The full-size 92X seems - at least on paper - to be a contender.

Though you are moving to other platforms, how close did you feel that the 92X came to being a 5" 9mm 1911 analogue?
    As a long time 1911 user, I was impressed by the full size 92X. I had bought a couple of Centurions thinking they would be the ultimate Beretta -- and they were nice too -- but I shot the full size better, no question. The balance of the full size 92X seems very good to me and it is just really a smooth shooting pistol. If I were to go back to the DA/SA world a full size 92X G model would be my choice. Beretta just did a nice job with that gun.

I recently dove into the world of Beretta as well.
    Picked up a 92x RDO, G version, off GB for $525 new.
    A bit of shooting with it since I got it.
    With the factory sights.
    20 yards:
    Name:  20211121_100702.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  39.5 KB

Installed Wilson Combat Battlesights, with a red fiber up front and the U notch rears. Definitely a better sight picture for me as opposed to the factory orange blob.
    The first target is a DA, then SA shot, repeated, with the 18 round mag.
    The second one is DA only, reset after every shot. Again, at the 20 yard target frozen in the snow at the range.
    Name:  20220213_130602.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  63.9 KB
    Name:  20220213_130352.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  44.1 KB

I see the appeal of the metal guide rod, and a 13 pound hammer spring... It's on the top of the list.
    The TJIAB might be an option down the road.
    While waiting for the complementary free optics plate [trijicon] I bought a Burris plate and mounted up a Fastfire 3 that I got for cheap.
    There's no using the sights on the RDO once the plate is installed.... It'll be strictly the dot;
    Which I guess is really no different than any of us just relying on the dot we all have mounted on out ARs.
    Haven't shot it with the dot yet, but it is mounted, and I have been able to find it easily during dry fire.
    Name:  20220213_143339.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  62.0 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

CSW, I am a huge fan of the NP3 TJIB but will make a less expensive recommendation. The Wilson trigger bar brought the trigger position when the gun fires to be the same within maybe a mm in DA and SA. I really like that. The LTT trigger bar does the same but it also reduces the reset distance tremendously. If $ are tight get an LTT bar and polish it a bit. Since you mentioned a 13# spring I recommend you grab a skeleton hammer also. Then you can go to a 12# spring for a range gun.

Need a little more weight up front? Tungsten guide rod:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/berett...de-rod-by-w74/

Beretta has a heavy rod also but the one I got looked like it had been machined w/ a chain saw. If I didn't have an old lathe to chuck it into to smooth it out I would have returned it.

@CSW: here’s a tip on teaching yourself to locate the dot that I’ve found useful-
    With a two hand hold(or as your hands meet in the presentation) angle the muzzle slightly upward-not “fly fishing”. As the muzzle comes into your peripheral vision, push it down and look through the glass. The dot should appear at 12:00 and move into position. I found beginning slowly with dry fire that it worked for me.
    Nice groups! Good luck

User Tag List