Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G42 - weirdness

Site Supporter

G42 - weirdness

My G42 got squirely at a carry gun match. Ran with FMJ and then decided to run a mag of HPs and it seemed to fire semi out of battery, jammed. It's done this before. I intend to test with at the square range with HPs and will report in semi sub forum later. Weird flash from the ejection port, jammed - racked it, clearly and it shot the rest of the HPs - they were Barnes TAC-XPD 380 ACP Ammo 80 Grain.

It had correctly chambered and shot about 36 Blazer FMJ before, so I think my racking skills and mags were OK. It shot the rest of the stage with FMJs ok. The gun was lubed before the match.

About shooting the G42, out of 54 targets, 44 As, 8 Cs, 1 D and 1 M. The last two were too low, I think I was used to my big gun trigger and gave the little guy, a too enthusiast pull. Seventh in terms of As. Most guns were the more compact 320s, 365, etc. No other 380s. The guy who collects the empties gave me some jocular shit about 380s. My times - forget it as I stroll from position to position.

So I'm ok with my close in shooting skills with the gun BUT - I don't know if I trust it with a load of HPs or carrying it with just FMJ. Thus, it's going back in its coffin till I can test it as the square range with more HPs. The 432 will become my pocket gun of choice.

When I first got the 42, it was a horror, jamming on everything, firing partially out of battery. Went back to Glock and now ....
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0-ACP-vs-38-Sp
    I searched but couldn't find more from DocGKR dating back 12 years or so.
    I recall he elaborated more regarding .380 ammo way back then, but the wording in the referenced thread do still say to go with penetration rather than just expansion (my words) which means to me, go with the FMJ for .380 carry.
    Perhaps the "sticky" was edited down to what it is now with .380 mainly mentioned in the title with .38 Special being addressed more.

I can't answer why that Barnes JHP ammo isn't working 100% in the G42.
    Although tempted, I never bought into a .380 due to general reports of unreliability with various guns and ammo brands/types/models.
    I can't even remember even ever shooting the caliber even though I may have shot a few rounds using someone else's pistol at the range.

My smallest guns are my J-frame revolvers; a new Ruger LCRX in .327; and then a Glock 43; in no particular order as the sizes are similar.

I'm not dead yet, so there's still a chance of me getting a .380 someday, but I really have no need, and even less desire to do so.

Site Supporter
    My two 42s are a couple of years old with corresponding followers. Weak hand only in the GSSF indoor matches I would usually get one failure to fully chamber with AE and Lawman FMJ. I stopped shooting Pocket Glock. My 432UC has taken it's place for pocket carry.
    Adam

How many rounds of the Barnes had you vetted the gun with?
    Every gun is a law unto itself with every different shooter.

Site Supporter
    No idea. Been awhile since I shot it. It's always been grumpy. But it's so like it did before. I do recall that when it was new, just after release - it jammed solid as a rock somebody's HP. My buddy Karl Rehn has to show me a magic trick to deal with things where the slide wouldn't even move for a tap, rack.

Site Supporter
    My guess is that the extractor may have crud in that section where the spring is. Also check extractor claw for damage. While inspecting, remove parts in firing pin tunnel and remember to keep oil out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    No idea. Been awhile since I shot it. It's always been grumpy. But it's so like it did before. I do recall that when it was new, just after release - it jammed solid as a rock somebody's HP. My buddy Karl Rehn has to show me a magic trick to deal with things where the slide wouldn't even move for a tap, rack.
    Have you sent it back to Glock? Jammed solid to the point you couldn't tap-rack sounds like a manufacturing defect in a component. Chamber, extractor, that sort of thing.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

FWIW, I’ve had much better luck with the newer 42s—several of them—than my original first run one, which sucked, to say the least.

That said, I’m curious as to what changed in yours. I’m with Willie regarding a top-end detail strip and once over with the pipe cleaners. I’d also respring it while the slide was apart, since there’s only 2 to be concerned with: striker and plunger/extractor. I’ve never bothered to change the little striker block safety coil spring, but I’ve seen jamming Glocks go back to rock solid with just a deep clean and new striker, extractor, and RSAs, and fresh lube on clean metal. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Have you sent it back to Glock? Jammed solid to the point you couldn't tap-rack sounds like a manufacturing defect in a component. Chamber, extractor, that sort of thing.
    Yes, it went back to Glock after that. The first ones were very problematic and many went back. When it returned, it was a touch grumpy but this time was the worst. I'm not in the mode for multiple trips or rebuilding it. I might shoot out the ammo and then sell it. Some trainer folks I know say the ones they see are grumpy too.

Do I want another 380, I dunno. I didn't like the LCP. A bigger 380 isn't appealing. It was a pocket gun and I do have the 432.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Yes, it went back to Glock after that. The first ones were very problematic and many went back. When it returned, it was a touch grumpy but this time was the worst. I'm not in the mode for multiple trips or rebuilding it. I might shoot out the ammo and then sell it. Some trainer folks I know say the ones they see are grumpy too.

Do I want another 380, I dunno. I didn't like the LCP. A bigger 380 isn't appealing. It was a pocket gun and I do have the 432.
    OOB ignition is bad. I've had 3 total, and the results ranged from hot gas, carbon, and brass shavings to the face to blown-off grips and a hurt hand. Fortunately none were in a plastic gun where there isn't much protection for your hands.

I recommend getting rid of that gun and buying a new G42. It really is the best .380. I don't love the LCP. It's very unergonomic. I do love my Kahr p380s! I had to add some parts and do some polishing, so they're not quite good to go out of the box. I've had zero issues with them after the work.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-19-2024 at 06:06 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List