Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun 509T X2

Quote Originally Posted by edwardcharles View Post
    No issues for me either, I was really just inquiring about the consistency of Holosun’s claims that the X2 has much better lens clarity.
    I think the V2s are more consistent than the V1s. I had some really bad v1s and some that were close to the v2.

Personally I like the 509T, MPS and then the ACRO P2 in that order but I have also had good luck on my Holosun durability

Optical comparison: 509t2, 509t2 ACSS, Acro, SRO

Below is a qualitative, descriptive comparison. I could not figure out a way to take photos through the optics with an iPhone.

The optics differ in three obvious ways: window size, brightness/clarity, and pincushion distortion. Together, these produced a subjective quality that I'll describe as usability as an aiming device.

Pincushion (least to most): Acro >> SRO > 509t2 ACSS > 509t2
    The most obvious "problem" with the 509t2 is the significant pincushion distortion in the top 25% of the window. This is likely due to the angled lens. Interestingly, the 509t2 ACSS has less pincushion. The SRO has some pincushion as well, but because of the large window, it's much less noticeable. The Acro is optically superior, and had no noticeable distortion.

Brightness/Clarity: Acro >> 509t2 ACSS > 509t2 > SRO
    Again, the Acro stood out in optical quality, but the 509t2 ACSS was a close 2nd. The SRO was noticeably inferior to the other optics in brightness and clarity.

Window size: SRO > 509t2 (both) > Acro
    The huge window and thin frame of the SRO are its main advantages. It's easy to ignore the frame and focus on the target. However, the 509t2's window is large enough (especially in width) that I don't notice it either. By contrast, the Acro's tiny window and thick frame are more distracting. The Acro is tunnel-like.

Usability: SRO = 509t2 ACSS > 509t2 > Acro
    Note: this is a subjective preliminary evaluation, and I need more time with the Acro and 509t2 ACSS before I can provide a strong opinion.

The SRO is a popular optic in USPSA CO because it is reliable and has a big window. I still think it's the default choice unless a closed emitter is needed.

The 509t2 ACSS surprised me because it was optically superior to the regular 509t2 (based on a sample size of 1 each). Moving the gun simulating transitions, I found it just as easy to use as the SRO.

If I stare through the 509t2 and concentrate on the top part of the window, the pincushion distortion is distracting. I don't notice it while shooting dynamically. The bright and clear glass and relatively thin frame make the window disappear. For its size, the 509t2 is the winner.

At arms length, the Acro's bright-clear-undistorted yet tiny window with a big frame was less usable than any of the other optics. I'm going to need more time with the Acro, but I don't expect I will be buying more of them. Except for it being possibly more rugged than the 509t2, I can't see choosing the Acro's tiny window in a relatively large optic.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-23-2022 at 12:12 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

At this point I'd say the 509T's biggest negative is its proprietary footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Below is a qualitative, descriptive comparison. I could not figure out a way to take photos through the optics with an iPhone.

The optics differ in three obvious ways: window size, brightness/clarity, and pincushion distortion. Together, these produced a subjective quality that I'll describe as usability as an aiming device.

Pincushion (least to most): Acro >> SRO > 509t2 ACSS > 509t2
    The most obvious "problem" with the 509t2 is the significant pincushion distortion in the top 25% of the window. This is likely due to the angled lens. Interestingly, the 509t2 ACSS has less pincushion. The SRO has some pincushion as well, but because of the large window, it's much less noticeable. The Acro is optically superior, and had no noticeable distortion.

Brightness/Clarity: Acro >> 509t2 ACSS > 509t2 > SRO
    Again, the Acro stood out in optical quality, but the 509t2 ACSS was a close 2nd. The SRO was noticeably inferior to the other optics in brightness and clarity.

Window size: SRO > 509t2 (both) > Acro
    The huge window and thin frame of the SRO are its main advantages. It's easy to ignore the frame and focus on the target. However, the 509t2's window is large enough (especially in width) that I don't notice it either. By contrast, the Acro's tiny window and thick frame are more distracting. The Acro is tunnel-like.

Usability: SRO = 509t2 ACSS > 509t2 > Acro
    Note: this is a subjective preliminary evaluation, and I need more time with the Acro and 509t2 ACSS before I can provide a strong opinion.

The SRO is a popular optic in USPSA CO because it is reliable and has a big window. I still think it's the default choice unless a closed emitter is needed.

The 509t2 ACSS surprised me because it was optically superior to the regular 509t2 (based on a sample size of 1 each). Moving the gun simulating transitions, I found it just as easy to use as the SRO.

If I stare through the 509t2 and concentrate on the top part of the window, the pincushion distortion is distracting. I don't notice it while shooting dynamically. The bright and clear glass and relatively thin frame make the window disappear. For its size, the 509t2 is the winner.

At arms length, the Acro's bright-clear-undistorted yet tiny window with a big frame was less usable than any of the other optics. I'm going to need more time with the Acro, but I don't expect I will be buying more of them. Except for it being possibly more rugged than the 509t2, I can't see choosing the Acro's tiny window in a relatively large optic.
    This more or less tracks with my experience except I don't notice the pincushion effect as much.

I personally would buy a 509TV2 over an ACRO if they were the same price. The MPS is nice too

I wished the 509T ACSS used a 509T footprint

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    This more or less tracks with my experience except I don't notice the pincushion effect as much.

I personally would buy a 509TV2 over an ACRO if they were the same price. The MPS is nice too

I wished the 509T ACSS used a 509T footprint
    I believe it does use the same clamp footprint--just a longer cutout. I think you can mount a 509t2 on a 509t2 ACSS plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I believe it does use the same clamp footprint--just a longer cutout. I think you can mount a 509t2 on a 509t2 ACSS plate?
    Think you are right

So the 509t ACSS has a different footprint than a regular 509t2, but the 507 ACSS uses the same footprint as the regular 507?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    So the 509t ACSS has a different footprint than a regular 509t2, but the 507 ACSS uses the same footprint as the regular 507?

Thanks
    That’s my read of it.

My 509 X2 green died after 100 rounds (mounted on Wright Armory P2000SK). Did fine at range, cleaned gun, was very careful to keep solvent away from void that exposes the underside of the mount plate, but when I reassembled, optic no worky. Ordered new batteries to see if that’s the issue, and if not I’ll go through Holosun CS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    My 509 X2 green died after 100 rounds (mounted on Wright Armory P2000SK). Did fine at range, cleaned gun, was very careful to keep solvent away from void that exposes the underside of the mount plate, but when I reassembled, optic no worky. Ordered new batteries to see if that’s the issue, and if not I’ll go through Holosun CS.
    New battery fixed the issue

User Tag List