Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun 509T X2

Site Supporter

Holosun 509T X2

As some of us speculated when the original 509T's began to be heavily discounted, Holosun is apparently releasing a "Gen 2" version of the 509T, the 509T X2.

A denizen of the interwebs found the owners manual on the Holosun website:

https://holosun.com/uploads/20210624...wLC09uQB4AZvo0

Name:  509 X2 1.jpg
Views: 8462
Size:  33.4 KB

They are redesigning the lens some to reduce edge distortion. It appears that they are also adding the circle only reticle, which was absent on the original.

I'm waiting for someone to stock the 509t-gr so I can pick one up. I've been using a 507k-rd on my 365XL for the past year and love it. I also have a 510c (in green) on a rifle and really like how the green looks - not enough to replace my 507k with a green version but maybe eventually...

The original is in dire need of a redesign to reduce the distortion. It is horrible. But with the new ACRO coming on line I see little reason to stick with Holosun.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    The original is in dire need of a redesign to reduce the distortion. It is horrible. But with the new ACRO coming on line I see little reason to stick with Holosun.
    The Holosun still has a bit of a size advantage in a few key dimensions, but unless the distortion is significantly improved I won't consider another one.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Sincere question — if you can see distortion in the original 509T, aren’t you focusing on the wrong thing? I absolutely respect the Acro, but whenever I shoot it and a 509T, between the display size and frame, the Acro feels like a port hole by comparison.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sincere question — if you can see distortion in the original 509T, aren’t you focusing on the wrong thing? I absolutely respect the Acro, but whenever I shoot it and a 509T, between the display size and frame, the Acro feels like a port hole by comparison.
    Your question wasn't directed towards me, but I really wanted to like the 509T. I had 5 of them. The amount of distortion varied pretty wildly between the different units. One of them seemed just slightly worse than an RMR and if I stayed target focused it really wasn't too noticeable. The others varied from worse to much worse and would actually distort the image enough in some parts of the optic that it would noticeably change the shape of the target/reticle and make getting good hits difficult, especially if the dot wasn't centered in the optic where parallax was a consideration also.

I haven't used an ACRO to compare, but have 3 of the P2 models preordered. None of them are intended for pistol slides until I get a chance to look through them though.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Your question wasn't directed towards me, but I really wanted to like the 509T. I had 5 of them. The amount of distortion varied pretty wildly between the different units. One of them seemed just slightly worse than an RMR and if I stayed target focused it really wasn't too noticeable. The others varied from worse to much worse and would actually distort the image enough in some parts of the optic that it would noticeably change the shape of the target/reticle and make getting good hits difficult, especially if the dot wasn't centered in the optic where parallax was a consideration also.

I haven't used an ACRO to compare, but have 3 of the P2 models preordered. None of them are intended for pistol slides until I get a chance to look through them though.
    I have four, run them in circle dot and haven’t noticed your issues. Not sure if I have been lucky, you unlucky, or I am not discerning enough to notice. That said, an improved 509T is always a good thing!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have two 509Ts and I don’t think the distortion is too distracting, but maybe a month ago a student showed me his and the distortion was WAY worse than mine. It seems there is some inconsistency in manufacture. Hopefully (and I’d expect) the new ones will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I have two 509Ts and I don’t think the distortion is too distracting, but maybe a month ago a student showed me his and the distortion was WAY worse than mine. It seems there is some inconsistency in manufacture. Hopefully (and I’d expect) the new ones will be better.
    I would say that statement can be applied across the board for holosuns products. I have a 508 that is significantly more blue, with a huge amount of edge distortion present. Compared to my 507's, this 508 is horrid. I have a singular 509 that I get a long with fairly well whereas every RMR i've ever looked through is a fishbowl to me.

I wish Holosun would take what's good, ie their optics with almost no distortion and apply that across the board.

User Tag List