Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: middle finger

I know a USPSA Master class shooter that shot with his middle finger cause his index finger got chopped off in accident. I didn't notice this until roughly 4 years of intermittently running into him at matches.

It's definitely doable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    it will reduce the DA and the SA but the SA not by as much. It will stay in the "safe zone".
    He is pretty good about his finger off the trigger, I explain to new shooters that the trigger finger also has another name "the booger picker" and since you don't walk around with your finger up your nose waiting for a booger, you shouldn't keep your finger on the trigger waiting for a shot. This seems to stick with them.
    cracker, that's a somewhat gross analogy and I doubt it would meet Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission guidelines, but I suspect it's very effective. Rock on.

Agree with all the above- it's a technique, but at least for pistols its only applicable for adapting to physical limitations/injuries. Rifles are another story- fast bolt action shooting often involves the middle finger, plus its a technique for left handed operation of a non-ambi safety selector on ARs (maybe others?).

I've had to shoot pistol with my middle finger before due to a crushing injury to my index the day before annual qualifications. I was slower and I had to put a great deal more conscious thought into my manipulations, but it was very much doable. I knew another gent who shot bullseye rather seriously who lost his index finger to bone cancer. He adapted and continued shooting well after the amputation.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

...He is pretty good about his finger off the trigger...
    I'm not convinced that "pretty good" is the level of trigger finger discipline at which a new shooter should consider reducing the safety margin designed into the trigger to be a good idea. This sounds like the wrong gun becoming the really wrong gun to me.

One of the guys in my LE academy class was missing his dominant index finger at the second knuckle. He shot with his middle finger.

I cannot imagine doing it outside of a medical reason. My ring and pinky fingers on my strong hand have maybe half the available grip strength of my middle finger (not that I'm squeezing with my strong hand much beyond a "firm handshake," but I'm not exactly tickled pink by a loss of grip strength or leverage).
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Not to take things off-topic concerning new shooters but:

This caught my attention because, recently I’ve been trying harder to improve/maintain my support-hand-only game with various drills, and this thread reminds me that it’s also a really good idea to at least learn what happens when you shoot/reload/go for a BUG without the full use of your hand/fingers (on either side). I’ve done a fair bit of training for that and it’s a good tool to have in the toolbox.

As we know, it’s reasonably common for people in pistol fights to be shot in or around the hands- I’ve experienced this myself (in both directions) in numerous Simunitions runs over the years. (Took one right to the support hand middle finger at Gunsite last October from the muzzle of a certain “faster than I was” Bob Shimizu, and still have a very slight scar to prove it.).

I’m sure many of you have seen numerous LEO UOF videos where the officers took rounds or splinters to the hand- last year’s incident involving a female officer in a traffic stop comes to mind.

I have a retired LE friend completely missing his index finger who lost it that way- but he is still quite a competent shooter with a Beretta 92, using his middle finger. Out of curiosity, I’ve tried it a few times myself, and found that it was no worse than the usual finger in terms of trigger control. (Recoil control dominant-handed only, not so much, as I’m missing part of that hand’s pinky- which is why I can’t wear my engineer’s ring).

I'll defer to my betters here but f my memory serves (never reliable) doesn't Eric-Grauffel (the best competition shooter in the world) use his middle finger for the trigger pull?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    I'll defer to my betters here but f my memory serves (never reliable) doesn't Eric-Grauffel (the best competition shooter in the world) use his middle finger for the trigger pull?
    No. He does hook his trigger guard with his support hand, but that’s the extent of the weirdness.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    No. He does hook his trigger guard with his support hand, but that’s the extent of the weirdness.
    You're right and thank you!

Any idea where I left my keys?

Site Supporter
    Not talking flipping people off, but using the middle finger for the trigger. I have a friend who tried this when shooting the other day. He shakes and has a hard time holding the gun steading. It improved his shooting a lot , he can hold his gun steadier. He is shooting a sig 226 with decocker and is a new shooter. he has some hand problems and says he dont have the strength to pull the trigger with his index finger.
    Thoughts?
    Is he shooting 1 handed or 2 handed? I can see this working reasonably well 2-handed, but it does not leave many fingers around the grip 1-handed.

My first suggestion would be lighter springs and/or a professional trigger job. If that does not work, I would suggest another gun.

I also suggest getting GripMasters in various spring strengths and using them frequently.

User Tag List