Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: middle finger

middle finger

Not talking flipping people off, but using the middle finger for the trigger. I have a friend who tried this when shooting the other day. He shakes and has a hard time holding the gun steading. It improved his shooting a lot , he can hold his gun steadier. He is shooting a sig 226 with decocker and is a new shooter. he has some hand problems and says he dont have the strength to pull the trigger with his index finger.
    Thoughts?

Get a different gun.
    Do hand exercises.

Some people don’t do well with 8-13 pound triggers.

I think in extenuating circumstances like your friends its completely acceptable. Some people need to modify the way they do things due to physical limitations. As long as he is safe and capable then rock on. Outside of that, if you were doing it just because you thought it made you better some way.....I'd totally make fun of you.

Edit. Or depending on the physical limitations of the hands...get another gun
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

At one of the USPSA clubs I shoot at, there is a Super Senior guy with very arthritic hands. I guess some days are worse for him than others. Sometimes he will shoot his Glock freestyle while actuating the trigger with the middle finger of his strong hand, and other times he uses the index finger. He is quite accurate with both methods. I notice that he is very deliberate during reloads and other gun manipulations --possibly because his fingers cannot be straightened fully.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I have new springs for his gun and will be dropping the trigger pull down, not sure he will want to use his index finger after that or not, with his index finger on the frame away from the slide he has is much steadier.
    He is not doing this for a wow factor or because he thinks its tact-a-cool he is limited to how straight his finger will go, his little finger is a "C" all the time but it fits his grip fine.

Site Supporter
    Especially since he’s a new shooter make sure he has a safe index to keep his middle finger off the trigger when he’s holding the gun and not shooting. For whatever reason this can be a big problem (keeping your damn finger off the trigger) for people who take up shooting later in life, especially males.

Since he is a new shooter learning to shoot left handed may present less problems if he has better strength or dexterity with his fingers on that hand.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    I have new springs for his gun and will be dropping the trigger pull down, not sure he will want to use his index finger after that or not, with his index finger on the frame away from the slide he has is much steadier.
    He is not doing this for a wow factor or because he thinks its tact-a-cool he is limited to how straight his finger will go, his little finger is a "C" all the time but it fits his grip fine.
    Does reducing the DA pull also reduce the SA pull? That could be a concern if it becomes too light for this guy to use safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Does reducing the DA pull also reduce the SA pull? That could be a concern if it becomes too light for this guy to use safely.
    it will reduce the DA and the SA but the SA not by as much. It will stay in the "safe zone".
    He is pretty good about his finger off the trigger, I explain to new shooters that the trigger finger also has another name "the booger picker" and since you don't walk around with your finger up your nose waiting for a booger, you shouldn't keep your finger on the trigger waiting for a shot. This seems to stick with them.

middle finger

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    it will reduce the DA and the SA but the SA not by as much. It will stay in the "safe zone".
    When I use light hammer and trigger return springs in my CZ p-07s, I add a heavy sear spring to keep the SA pull above 3#.

It doesn't really matter what finger you use as long as the sights don't move when you squeeze the trigger.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List