Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magna Friday

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Magna Friday

In my continued quest to find comfortable stocks for my N and K frames, I decided to try standard Magnas. I was gifted with big Slovak hands, but most unfortunately little Studda Bubba fingers. I’ve tried about everything on the N’s, the best (of the worst) being a set of Ahrends. The K frame isn’t much better. The Targets are just a bit too thick as well. I have scrounged up a set with a hairline crack, so I might try hitting them with a rasp and doing some surgery on them to see what I get. In the meantime...the Magnas. I should probably at least order up one pair of BK’s while I’m at it too, just to see how they work. Right now, the Magnas seem a bit “skinny” fore to aft.

Name:  FDAD385E-624F-425C-8356-5915542454CD.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  103.3 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    In my continued quest to find comfortable stocks for my N and K frames, I decided to try standard Magnas. I was gifted with big Slovak hands, but most unfortunately little Studda Bubba fingers. I’ve tried about everything on the N’s, the best (of the worst) being a set of Ahrends. The K frame isn’t much better. The Targets are just a bit too thick as well. I have scrounged up a set with a hairline crack, so I might try hitting them with a rasp and doing some surgery on them to see what I get. In the meantime...the Magnas. I should probably at least order up one pair of BK’s while I’m at it too, just to see how they work. Right now, the Magnas seem a bit “skinny” fore to aft.

Magmas do not work for me without a Tgrip adaptor. And best, even then, with some judicious shaping.

My lone Nframe wears a rosewood Hogue monogrip. My Ks have gone through a number of grip variations. Right now, my faves are Ahrends and Altamonts. All of those fill the sinus between the trigger guard and the grip frame, with enough bulk and mass where needed and thin where needed.

Tough to find these days, but the Pachmayr grip adapters work best for me on a square butt K with magnas.

But the creme de la creme on a square K for me is a set of Spegel’s with one finger groove. Pure nirvana.

Can’t get the file to load presently but if you go through some of my old posts you’ll see the Spegel on my model 17.

I am old school and use Magnas on Ks and Ns with the Tyler T or BK grip adapter. Makes a good strong, correct trigger finger alignment for me. Easier to conceal than the old S&W targets, shorter than the Hogues. Ahrends are out of business and the Altamont copies of the Magnas are too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

You got a nice pair!
    ...the rules state you must post a second photo of the other side of each gat!
    ...and close ups of each gat individually!

I've been looking for Tyler T adapters for some 1950's K's, but, as I'm sure everyone here is aware, they have gone full-stupid in price (ebay, et.al.).

I came across an ebay listing that's got me curious and need to message the seller (well known/legit) and inquire about the possibility of them doing some in K/L and/or N sizes.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/27486209520...gAAOSw70hg6JSG

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Magmas do not work for me without a Tgrip adaptor. And best, even then, with some judicious shaping.
    Magna + T-grip for the win.

Name:  8225E986-01BF-48D8-AA6B-BADDABC55E22.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  59.4 KB

I actually prefer a Pachmayr but haven’t seen one for sale in years.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    You got a nice pair!
    ...the rules state you must post a second photo of the other side of each gat!
    ...and close ups of each gat individually!
    Best I can do right now:

Name:  98ECB37B-73E4-4584-8050-EEA361D34DFF.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  1D0ECA45-9724-4AAA-96D1-EDE63BDE2562.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  101.5 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I don't have really big hands, but I hate the Magnas, both for comfort and even more for looks. Only thing less comfortable on old N-frames is a set of the later "Cheese Graters", and close behind, Magnas and a Tyler grip adaptor, I just hate the feel of them. Every N I have has either some kind of target grips on it, or some pair of rubber grips. Not a big fan of sharp checkering or "points" some grips have. If it's wood, I greatly prefer grooves for my hand meat to sink into over checkering.

@entropy

Stumbled across a set of stocks you might be interested in looking at for your HP - pm sent.

Site Supporter
    Question re: the Tyler T-grip and BK grip adapters:

1) How many of you have fingers that come anywhere close to fitting the finger groove?

2) If your fingers do not fit, how do you grip the gun to best deal with the mismatch between the finger groove and your fingers?

On the one gun on which I have a T-grip adapter, my middle finger ends up right over the hump between the finger positions on the adapter.

I have medium sized hands.

User Tag List