Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magna Friday

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Question re: the Tyler T-grip and BK grip adapters:

1) How many of you have fingers that come anywhere close to fitting the finger groove?

2) If your fingers do not fit, how do you grip the gun to best deal with the mismatch between the finger groove and your fingers?

On the one gun on which I have a T-grip adapter, my middle finger ends up right over the hump between the finger positions on the adapter.

I have medium sized hands.
    The Tyler-T adapters for S&W J, K/L and N frames all fit my hands just right.

If your looking to get rid of any Tyler-T's, I'd be happy to help you with that!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    The Tyler-T adapters for S&W J, K/L and N frames all fit my hands just right.

If your looking to get rid of any Tyler-T's, I'd be happy to help you with that!
    This is for a 2 1/2" Colt Python. The only compact grips I can find for this gun are the original splinter grips. I also have Pachmayr Gripper grips for this gun which fit my hand much better (although I prefer an exposed backstrap for trigger reach) but are long enough so that they make little sense on the gun. So no, I am not looking to get rid of it. I am seriously looking to learn what people do to make these things work.

This is for a 2 1/2" Colt Python. The only compact grips I can find for this gun are the original splinter grips. I also have Pachmayr Gripper grips for this gun which fit my hand much better (although I prefer an exposed backstrap for trigger reach) but are long enough so that they make little sense on the gun. So no, I am not looking to get rid of it. I am seriously looking to learn what people do to make these things work.
    Since Steve McQueen's gun in Bullitt was a Diamondback with DS grips, could DS grips be used on a Python?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Since Steve McQueen's gun in Bullitt was a Diamondback with DS grips, could DS grips be used on a Python?
    It has been a long time since I had the grips off the gun, but I also own a Detective Special (sharing the D frame size with a Diamondback). If I recall correctly, the Python grip frame is longer than a D-frame's grip frame, but I can double check this weekend.

Question re: the Tyler T-grip and BK grip adapters:

1) How many of you have fingers that come anywhere close to fitting the finger groove?

2) If your fingers do not fit, how do you grip the gun to best deal with the mismatch between the finger groove and your fingers?

On the one gun on which I have a T-grip adapter, my middle finger ends up right over the hump between the finger positions on the adapter.

I have medium sized hands.
    I've had a Tyler T-grip, in combination with a Birami Hip Grip, on my Detective Special for about 30 years. The finger grooves match up to my hand just fine, not that I care about the grooves. If the grip had been made without that bump, it wouldn't have made any difference to me. My glove size is L, which I suspect is average for men.

Site Supporter
    It has been a long time since I had the grips off the gun, but I also own a Detective Special (sharing the D frame size with a Diamondback). If I recall correctly, the Python grip frame is longer than a D-frame's grip frame, but I can double check this weekend.
    Yes, the Python is larger in every dimension than the D frame.

Pachmayr adapters are nice, and extend slightly lower on the frame than Tyler-T's.

Pachmayr:

Tyler-T:

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    @entropy

Stumbled across a set of stocks you might be interested in looking at for your HP - pm sent.
    Copy. Thanks much.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Pachmayr adapters are nice, and extend slightly lower on the frame than Tyler-T's.

Pachmayr:

2” M15!

I’ll be in my bunk...

Site Supporter
    If it’s for shooting and not looking at, and isn’t cast so the finger groove is hollow why don’t you just grind/file or dremel off the hump?

As to the OP of this thread part of the reason s&w grips are rare is that almost all factory wood grips from them suck and when the guns were tools and not collectors items people tossed them in the garbage where they belonged and got something that worked or if they were budget minded they grabbed a wood rasp and some sand paper and did what they could. Right now my N frame sports a modern set of plywood S&W grips that I dremeled down into something that is very similar in form to the miculek grips, if you haven’t tried some if might be worth a shot.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List