Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal 9mm HST redesign

I think the changes might push me more to the 124gr +P loading. Better expansion with still pretty good penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Great vid. Kind of makes me like the older version better as I have never heard of penetration issues with it. I haven't researched it though. Thanks again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    I think the changes might push me more to the 124gr +P loading. Better expansion with still pretty good penetration.
    I think we're into "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" territory here. I use the 124-grain +P version because it shoots to the sights on my guns and it's easier and cheaper to find 124-grain projectiles to reload for practice. I'd be comfortable switching to anything on Doc's list if the need arose.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    It's hard to beat the Speer Gold Dot 124-grain +P JHP, Winchester Ranger T-series 124-grain +P JHP, or the Federal HST 124-grain +P JHP for the balance of expansion and penetration that they offer.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Personally, I don't think I'd stop carrying the 147 gr HST standard based on the above. I think most of mine is the older version, but either way.

I have a lot more of that on hand than the 124 gr +P and standard...but all work fine out of my Glocks...with the 147 shooting a little better overall.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Personally, I don't think I'd stop carrying the 147 gr HST standard based on the above. I think most of mine is the older version, but either way.

I have a lot more of that on hand than the 124 gr +P and standard...but all work fine out of my Glocks...with the 147 shooting a little better overall.
    I'm sure mine is the older version, but I don't care. It will be the least of my problems if I get in a gunfight.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm sure mine is the older version, but I don't care. It will be the least of my problems if I get in a gunfight.
    Ain't it the truth.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Vending Machine Operator
    I've stuck with 147-gr. HST and am also unconcerned about the small adjustment. I'd expect a professional developer with lots of professional clients to continue small refinements, but I think my 147-gr. stockpile (which probably has a bit of each based on the dates I bought it) is probably still better than 90+% of 9mm JHPs, runs well in my guns, and as has been noted, is a distant priority compared to me putting rounds on target.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List