Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal 9mm HST redesign

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Given that .357 bullets are usually .358 diameter and 9mm bullets are usually .355 or .356, that may or may not work well in terms of accuracy, depending on what your barrel(s) like. Not saying don't try it, just that you'll have to test it out in order to determine whether it actually works well. Also I suppose there's some possibility that adding 2-300 FPS may put the bullets outside of their designed-for velocity window and negatively impact expansion and/or penetration - again, something to test.
    Jacketed .357 bullets are just that. Groove diameter are .355 iirc. So it's not that far off.

If they're a bit harder than the bullets originally were they might do ok at 1250.

Who knows

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Jacketed .357 bullets are just that. Groove diameter are .355 iirc. So it's not that far off.

If they're a bit harder than the bullets originally were they might do ok at 1250.

Who knows
    Right, and some 9mm guns actually like .357 or .358 bullets better than what should be normal for them. My point was really just that you can't assume without testing, especially when it comes to something that might be used for something where bullet performance matters like self defense or hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Right, and some 9mm guns actually like .357 or .358 bullets better than what should be normal for them. My point was really just that you can't assume without testing, especially when it comes to something that might be used for something where bullet performance matters like self defense or hunting.
    Agreed. It would really just be for testing. I'm happy with xtps or SWCs for carry

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Agreed. It would really just be for testing. I'm happy with xtps or SWCs for carry
    How many would you be looking for?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    How many would you be looking for?
    I'm not sure. I don't have a good way to test them in a media right now which I think would be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As noted, "new" HST still works fine, but a bit less expansion in order to optimize barrier penetration.
    Given this,would you still recommend the 147 over the 124 +p? Thanks!

Didn’t Cor-Bon somehow “bump” up the diameter of the Sierra 115 JHP for one of their early 38 Special loads? I don’t know if a handloader could do that at home or not.

Yes.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

tnoutdoors9 AMMO REVIEW: 9mm 147 gr Federal HST in Calibrated Gel (2021)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQg_D7mcVRw

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post

tnoutdoors9 AMMO REVIEW: 9mm 147 gr Federal HST in Calibrated Gel (2021)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQg_D7mcVRw
    Great vid. Kind of makes me like the older version better as I have never heard of penetration issues with it. I haven't researched it though. Thanks again.

User Tag List