Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint ACRO P-2

Aimpoint ACRO P-2

Great overview and your observations from your initial testing echo my own thoughts with regards to the ACRO P-2.

I have also been lucky enough to get early access to one of two ACRO P-2 sample units from the official Aimpoint distributor here in Estonia. Having already owned the ACRO-P1 they reached out to me and asked if I would like to take one for review, of course I said yes and have been running it since 20th of July.

Like you I also noticed that the P-2 was thicker on the left side, you can tell when you look at the ACRO's overhang from the slide on each side. I compare it directly to the P-1 and it protrudes about 1mm more on the left, but its negligible and just born of the new design. The new controls are a welcome change and I prefer the new digital buttons compared to the original controls which sometimes caused me to accidentally change the brightness settings when manipulating the slide.

Aimpoint claim the ACRO P-2 is brighter by up to 30% and this is certainly apparently when you run the ACRO P-2 and P-1 side by side, I would say setting 7 on the P-2 is equivalent to setting 8 on the P-1 and settings 8 and 9 are plenty for even the brightest of days. If Aimpoint can deliver on their promise of 5 years continuous on setting 6/10 with the CR2032, then I expect the ACRO P-2 will become the professional choice for enclosed emitter designs.

Anyway I'm glad to have one, I feel its certainly a major step up, the improved battery life, controls and brighter diode make this a worthy upgrade in mu opinion.

if you'd like to see it up close, check out my Youtube Channel, I posted the first quick look video there and I'm about to release another shortly with it mounted to my Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS.[IMG][/IMG]

Any updates on a release timeframe for these? I recall the initial estimate being late August.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by The Expat Gunner View Post
    Great overview and your observations from your initial testing echo my own thoughts with regards to the ACRO P-2.

I have also been lucky enough to get early access to one of two ACRO P-2 sample units from the official Aimpoint distributor here in Estonia. Having already owned the ACRO-P1 they reached out to me and asked if I would like to take one for review, of course I said yes and have been running it since 20th of July.

Like you I also noticed that the P-2 was thicker on the left side, you can tell when you look at the ACRO's overhang from the slide on each side. I compare it directly to the P-1 and it protrudes about 1mm more on the left, but its negligible and just born of the new design. The new controls are a welcome change and I prefer the new digital buttons compared to the original controls which sometimes caused me to accidentally change the brightness settings when manipulating the slide.

Aimpoint claim the ACRO P-2 is brighter by up to 30% and this is certainly apparently when you run the ACRO P-2 and P-1 side by side, I would say setting 7 on the P-2 is equivalent to setting 8 on the P-1 and settings 8 and 9 are plenty for even the brightest of days. If Aimpoint can deliver on their promise of 5 years continuous on setting 6/10 with the CR2032, then I expect the ACRO P-2 will become the professional choice for enclosed emitter designs.

Anyway I'm glad to have one, I feel its certainly a major step up, the improved battery life, controls and brighter diode make this a worthy upgrade in mu opinion.

if you'd like to see it up close, check out my Youtube Channel, I posted the first quick look video there and I'm about to release another shortly with it mounted to my Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS.[IMG][/IMG]
    Which BUIS are you running on that pistol?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Which BUIS are you running on that pistol?

Hi Wayne, I’m running the Ameriglo GL-429 XL suppressor height sights. Kept it nice and simple this way.

Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    Any updates on a release timeframe for these? I recall the initial estimate being late August.
    My source on the inside confirmed there is no update for public availability at this time. All initial shipments are going to Mil/LE only!

It was suggested back in May that we could see them start to ship in August, but with today’s update I expect this may push back at least a month or two.

Anyway, I’ll keep checking periodically and post updates when more information becomes available.

I can tell you, based on my experience with the ACRO P-2 so far it’s definitely worth the wait.

A nearby department had one for T&E, and I and others took the opportunity to work with a P-2 a bit. I’ll echo basically what @The Expat Gunner said: the P-2 appears to be a significant improvement in several areas. First, agreement on the brightness increase. I did a side-by-side comparison with the P-1 I run on my personal 19, and I would say his “comparison is spot on; “7” on the P-2 is like an “8” on the original. “10” is almost too bright to my eyes, even in summer sun. Mounting is the same system of a crossbar, which is excellent. Aimpoint is now specifying 25-26 inch pounds on that outside screw if I understand correctly. Of course, the screws should have some sort of thread locker also.
    Concur also that the battery cover protrudes very slightly on the left as the shooter views it, but it becomes unnoticeable when shooting. The cover is a tough plastic material, which is an improvement to my eyes. The earlier metal cover shows wear as one changes batteries monthly. The 2032 fits tightly in its compartment. Some care would seem prudent rescrewing the cap on-the threads are fine. The plastic edge of the Aimpoint tool fits in the slot to tighten. The adjustment screws and the mounting screw are T10 torx. That commonality is smart and appreciated.
    The glass seems a little clearer to these “mature” eyes. The assembly also seems improved; a couple of the earlier 1s we have around had some slight sealant(?)at the very edge, but the P-2 in this one example is perfect.
    We shot from 3 yards to 50; all hits when we did our part. The control pad is better in the sense that one has to be deliberate in changing intensity-the cap protects it and there is a tactile “click” when changing. The minus button turns it off; either will turn it on. If anything, the pad seems more resistant to wear, etc. The P-2 appears to be as tough or tougher than the original. @Wayne Dobbs, we’ll buy some-where do we send the money?!?

For anyone that has an ATEI milled Glock for the ACRO with irons forward, are there any issues with the irons forward interfering with the Safariland ALS mechanism in the RDS holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    The cover is a tough plastic material, which is an improvement to my eyes. The earlier metal cover shows wear as one changes batteries monthly.
    Interesting design choice. Just to be clear, is this a plastic cover over a metal inner liner? And if so, are the threads on the liner? Or are the threads polymer too?

Sorry that was unclear. It is a plastic cover over a metal cap. The threads are metal, but pretty fine, so I think a little care in screwing it back on is warranted. As stated, I like it better than the earlier style.

Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    Strohman Enterprises told me they expected a mid-SEPT receipt date for their first batch. Fingers crossed I'm in that batch.

User Tag List