Page 75 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint ACRO P-2

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    How is everyone's P2 doing?
    My first one that's mounted on my carry gun has been carried daily since August of 2022. I've adjusted zero on the gun once since I mounted it, but it was an exceptionally small adjustment (two clicks at 25 yards) that could just be explained by a different lot of my carry ammo. (124 grain +P HST)

I made the adjustment because it was just a hair to the left when I shot some bullseye and then I checked it with some carry ammo and found the same issue.

I took this optic directly off my old carry gun (Gen5 G17) and installed it on this one without even re-applying more VC3 to it.

I ended up shooting the entire scored day of Professional Pistolcraft Instructor with it in December...and I ended up winning Top Gun and posting the highest score on the Pistol Master standards...with just one shot slightly into the 9 ring leaving me with a score of 99.6% on the bullseye portion of that exercise.

At this point the gun has seen probably close to 4,000 rounds with that mounting of the optic plus the movement and vibration that comes with daily carry. Zero movement from the optic.

The one I purchased for my training gun some time later eventually experienced a failure of the controls. I only noticed because I was in the middle of a class and I went to adjust the optic to do some precision work and the dot no longer responded to the buttons. I knew that a federal agency was experiencing the same thing with some of their units that they were getting about the same time as I got mine, so I wasn't worried. Aimpoint had me a replacement in less than a week and that optic has been mounted to my training gun since June. It's been through at least 5,000 rounds since then without further issue.

No optics company is shipping perfection these days...not that any ever did...but Acro issues seem to be few and readily resolved by Aimpoint. I have no trepidation about mine or buying any in the future.
    3/15/2016

What Aimpoint did successfully, was to take their long gun design philosophy and turn that into a pistol optic.

That design philosophy resulted in no multi reticles, no sleep mode, heavy weight, a small display, and lots of frame around the display that makes target focusing harder. Perhaps the Acro's most important attribute is that it is not made in China.

If I were Aimpoint, I wouldn't be worrying about Holosun, unless Holosun brings production to the US. I would be worrying about Sig, because Sig clearly wants Aimpoint's military and law enforcement business.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So far, so good. The first P2 I got has been mounted on a full size M&P since I got it in '22; the second on a compact M&P since '22 as well; the third is resting because I've got another optic on that gun; and the 4th is on an A300.

Yes, I have seen a few with internal issues - fogging, sealing, a loose part - most in pics and only one in person. As Tim mentioned, we're talking about stuff made by man. It's why I work broken dot stuff.

@GJM - I'll agree that Sig is certainly pushing to get every dot gov/mil contract available. In other related news, I'm starting to see glimmers that end users are aware of what all is going on.

How is everyone's P2 doing? Buddy of mine got one and had to return it due to internal fogging. Unknown if the optic was old stock or brand new, but bought new in any case.

I'm starting to need more Acro dovetail dots, and I'm stuck if I should buy more Steiner MPSes since I am happy with mine, or try the Acro.
    We have had a dozen and a half or so P2s mounted on Glock MOS guns for around 2 years with no reported issues. A couple of early P1s had lens issues, but Aimpoint quickly made it right. I have a personal P2 on a 19 as I type this. I am not dedicated in recording rounds, but it's approaching 10,000 on a Tango Down plate-no issues.
    I shoot other enclosed emitters and appreciate them, but if forced to run only one, it'd be a P2. I harvested a deer last week with it; temp at freezing, mild field use. I change the battery every 6 months. My particular unit has a Tango Down front lens guard and battery cap mounted for over a year, and other than retightening the tiny lens guard screws, they've been very satisfactory.
    YMMV, etc.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    How is everyone's P2 doing? Buddy of mine got one and had to return it due to internal fogging. Unknown if the optic was old stock or brand new, but bought new in any case.

I'm starting to need more Acro dovetail dots, and I'm stuck if I should buy more Steiner MPSes since I am happy with mine, or try the Acro.

You want to try one, PM me for PF pricing
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    We have had a dozen and a half or so P2s mounted on Glock MOS guns for around 2 years with no reported issues. A couple of early P1s had lens issues, but Aimpoint quickly made it right. I have a personal P2 on a 19 as I type this. I am not dedicated in recording rounds, but it's approaching 10,000 on a Tango Down plate-no issues.
    I shoot other enclosed emitters and appreciate them, but if forced to run only one, it'd be a P2. I harvested a deer last week with it; temp at freezing, mild field use. I change the battery every 6 months. My particular unit has a Tango Down front lens guard and battery cap mounted for over a year, and other than retightening the tiny lens guard screws, they've been very satisfactory.
    YMMV, etc.
    Aimpoint gets credit for significantly improving the Acro with the P2 -- 2032 battery to fix the short battery life problem, brighter dot intensity, and better feeling windage and elevation adjustments. Probably more improvements not readily visible. Based on things reported on the forum, and directly by pm, I am aware of a surprising number of issues on early P2 units, unrelated to holding zero, although Aimpoint does a great job with support.

I can't recall seeing an Acro, other than mine, on the range or in the LGS. Infrequently, I see them at a USPSA match, and they seem to fall into three main categories -- issued by the shooter's employer, new guy or lots of rain in the forecast.

If you are looking for a telescope for your handgun, the P2 is probably the best one available.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What Aimpoint did successfully, was to take their long gun design philosophy and turn that into a pistol optic.
    This is essentially what the original end user wanted. Whichever military unit had been running T1s or 2s on handguns and wanted an even smaller version that was better suited for use on handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Perhaps the Acro's most important attribute is that it is not made in China.
    I'd say its most important attribute is that it is an Aimpoint. The ACRO footprint has become the default mount for the closed emitter optics based on Aimpoint's name recognition. People in the know say the 509's clamp is better (more clamping force and more secure) but companies aren't lining up to use the 509 footprint for new optics.

Interestingly enough the new Trijicon RCR seems to be built to match the ACRO feature set. Dot reticle only. No auto mode, etc.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I still like the Acro P2 on my G20.4 grizzly gun, but prefer the 509 for most other uses.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I still like the Acro P2 on my G20.4 grizzly gun, but prefer the 509 for most other uses.
    Could you splain. Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Could you splain. Tks.
    The Acro seems like the most robust PMO, with the 509 a close 2nd. My G20 gets hard field use when worn OWB as my primary bear defense. So far, the Acro has held up to rain, dirt, impacts, belly crawling through thickets, and nuclear 10mm loads. The window is a bit smallish and the optic is big, but I’ll trade that for durability.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List