Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint ACRO P-2

Aimpoint ACRO P-2

Hey everyone,

I recently obtained a sample Aimpoint ACRO P-2 and I figured I’d start a new thread about it since as we know, it’s got some serious updates from the P-1. While I was waiting for the M&P mounting plate I threw it on a Glock to do a little cold exposure test. The plate came in yesterday and I mounted it to my M&P M2.0 CORE. It’s resting while the threadlocker cures and I’ll be shooting it this week.

First, I’ll give the disclaimer… While probably obvious right now I didn’t buy this optic (they aren’t available yet) and it isn’t mine. It is one of two provided by Aimpoint for evaluation and feedback and will be returned once we’re finished running it. I have permission to post my experiences with no strings... good or bad. Some or lots of my comments will be statements from me as well as my partners. I will speak frankly, and my comments should be considered my own opinions and not those of my employer. I’m an ACRO fan (and Aimpoint overall) to begin with, so there’s also that.

One P-2 is being used by my partner and I’ll address his initial thoughts in a bit. The other got thrown on a Glock 17MOS gen5 for some quick cold weather and condensation/fogging testing. I think this is important because while our needs in Southern California don’t generally require an optic to deal with high humidity and condensational fogging of the optic window, other areas do, and I like to see what worst case does. If I know worst case, I can plan for the rest of situations I may face. In addition, with Aimpoint going to the CR2032 and mounting it on the outside of the housing, I was wondering if the battery would be more susceptible to the cold. Duracell lists the low operating temperature for their 2032 batteries at negative four degrees.

The Glock/ACRO P-2 was placed in a chest freezer along with a remote thermometer and left from 1705hrs until 2102hrs (almost four hours). Upon removing the pistol/optic from the freezer, the temperature inside the freezer as indicated by the thermometer was minus 10 degrees Fahrenheit and the outside (ambient) temperature was 88 degrees Fahrenheit. Relative humidity was 31% for a dewpoint of 53.5 degrees. All condensation between -10 and 32 degrees formed as frost and after the optic reached that temperature condensation continued as water until the optic acclimated to at least 53.5 degrees.

I immediately checked the optic and found it to be activated and operating properly. I took the pistol out and condensation began almost immediately. The view through the window was occluded with condensational fogging within thirty seconds but the dot remained clear, crisp, and visible for the several minutes it took for the pistol to reach a high enough temperature for the condensation to stop. I’ve done this test several times with different optics, and it is one of the things that has really made me a fan of enclosed emitter optics for duty use.

The first picture is focusing on the optic while the second is focusing to infinity as you'd be looking through it.

Some other initial thoughts:

The P-2 looks cooler than the P-1 with it’s deeper contoured housing, but overall seems slightly more bulky, particularly on the left side due to the thicker battery cap. It’s not a concern but when mounted it seemed off center until I realized it was the battery cap. On the other hand, the cross-bolt mounting screw is flat which is an improvement and the previous mounting screw protruded further than the current battery cap.

The P-2 has lower profile buttons. I was told this is to minimize the potential for accidentally hitting them and changing the setting. In addition, the buttons are moved to the forward portion of the housing. I like the brightness buttons on the P-1 but like these more since I run my optics at a single brightness setting and because they are much less likely to be hit while manipulating the slide.

The window is still super clear with no discernable distortion, and the brightness of the P-2 is much improved from the P-1. My partner’s first comment running the P-2 was “It feels weird to have to turn an ACRO 'down' in daylight". When using the P-1, I always run it on max. I haven’t shot the P-2 yet, but that simply won’t be the case, and I’m betting that will further help battery life.

I’m not a fan of the Aimpoint M&P mounting plate. The plate can be moved forward and backward in the slide cut and I’ve seen them come loose. That said, we were mounting optics differently when that was happening so I figure I’ll give it a try. I degreased everything (slide, plate, and screws), used alloy steel screws from McMaster-Carr, and I used a 6-32 x 3/8” screw instead of the supplied 6-32 x 5/16” screws supplied by Aimpoint. I don’t know if that will make a difference, but it gives more thread engagement surface area for the Loctite 248 threadlocker. I torqued a few extra (18 total) inch pounds as well. We’ll see.

Wish I could give this 10 Likes!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Well done keep it coming!

Site Supporter
    Outstanding comments, Trey! Keep 'em coming!

ACRO P-2 is a completely new optic, not just the old one with a new battery. The battery, battery compartment, switch, housing, lens system and emitter are all brand new and it shows big time in the samples I've dealt with. Pistol Mounted Optics (PMO) are clearly the great leap forward and the improvement in both the training world and operational performance in OIS's is a verifiable fact.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Big fan of the P-1 (minus the battery life). I've ordered the P-2, any idea if it has the same mount system? I have a C&H Glock plate that I red Loctited my P-1 too and I really don't want to try and take that off.

The P-2 is the same mounting system as the P-1.

Thx SoCal. Hopefully it’ll ship soon. I’m hearing end of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Outstanding comments, Trey! Keep 'em coming!

ACRO P-2 is a completely new optic, not just the old one with a new battery. The battery, battery compartment, switch, housing, lens system and emitter are all brand new and it shows big time in the samples I've dealt with. Pistol Mounted Optics (PMO) are clearly the great leap forward and the improvement in both the training world and operational performance in OIS's is a verifiable fact.
    Please convince my department that a closed emitter sight is pretty darned close to a requirement in an environment like Florida. Maybe you know a voodoo shaman or something that could get through to them?

Our training division does not seem to understand that humidity plus A/C plus a singular window means an occluded optic 99% of the time we exit our vehicles.

As the French say...Le Sigh...

Awesome.

It’s still ugly as sin but so is my Glock so... [emoji2375]

I’m all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Well done keep it coming!
    This. Have a Site Supporter membership on me, @SoCalDep.
    #RESIST

User Tag List