Page 39 of 83 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint ACRO P-2

All this continues to convince me that if possible, direct Acro or 509 mounts are the way to go.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I conditionally agree. If you dedicate to a specific unit, e.g., an ACRO P2, rock on.
    For ME, I like the ability to move to another mfg. if improvements occur-an enclosed Trijicon for example.
    I put up with the little battery in the P1; I can check tightness every now and then.
    Cooper once wrote a “pistolero” would necessarily handle a weapon daily or so. That seems fairly reasonable, IF attention is paid to safety. So the dry fire, manips., etc. would include a security check. John Hearne wrote about doing 10 draws before leaving the house, etc.
    Very few folks would be this dedicated, tho…

Question.

The highly educated and clearly experienced at my Agency have decided that they are going to change the batteries in the RMR's every year at in service.

They are going to do this before we qualify and partake in whatever training they have planned for that day.

Does anyone know the realistic cure time of 248, 243 and vc3? I figure I can let them work their stupidity, shoot for the day and then re torque without removing the screws. It is basically a cardinal sin to do ANYTHING to your weapon at this Agency because the world will end immediately...or so they seem to think.

What they don't know can't hurt them and its my life on the line.
    Last edited by Magsz; 05-05-2022 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Cat’s out if the bag. Glock is showing the ACRO cut gun at SHOT.

Photos courtesy of Frank Woods.
    Attachment 83051

Attachment 83052
    I still think plates will be going the way of the dodo bird. Does anyone have any further info on whether or not glock will be releasing direct mount models in the near future?

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I conditionally agree. If you dedicate to a specific unit, e.g., an ACRO P2, rock on.
    For ME, I like the ability to move to another mfg. if improvements occur-an enclosed Trijicon for example.
    I agree, and any improvements should include a closed emitter and compatibility with existing taper mount footprints.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Does anyone know the realistic cure time of 248, 243 and vc3?
    Loctite's cure time can vary based on temperature, the properties of the metal and finish on the slide/fasteners, etc.

Generally speaking you're going to want to allow a full 24 hour cure to ensure the Loctite actually sets up in a durable fashion. That means installing the fasteners and leaving it alone for 24 hours.

If you use Loctite's primer/activator it can reduce the cure time to four hours according to Loctite. Use of the activator is probably a sane idea in any case as the substrates we are using (our slides and mounts) are typically more "passive", meaning they are reluctantly lending electrons to the thread locker which means it takes more time for the chemical reaction that solidifies the thread locker to occur.

Of course, use of the primer/activator and application of the thread locker has to follow a proper cleaning and degreasing of the threads on the fastener and the hole.

If you don't use the primer/activator, a full 24 hours is the realistic curing time. If you do use the primer/activator I still wouldn't shoot the gun in less than 4 or 5 hours.

I figure I can let them work their stupidity, shoot for the day and then re torque without removing the screws. It is basically a cardinal sin to do ANYTHING to your weapon at this Agency because the world will end immediately...or so they seem to think.

What they don't know can't hurt them and its my life on the line.
    Shooting the gun immediately after applying thread locker essentially shatters the latticework that causes the thread locker to turn solid. If that's what they are mandating you to do, it's an exceptionally poor strategy that doesn't show any comprehension of how LocTite actually works.

The only hope you have in that specific scenario is that your shooting is done almost immediately after the thread locker is applied and before it has had the chance to start working...the odds of which are really, really slim. Applying more torque to the fastener will also have the same effect. It's meant to be applied (and applied correctly, which in blind hole applications means putting it in the hole and actually ensuring it gets down to the bottom of the threads...air bubbles can prevent this and people don't realize it) and then the fastener is torqued and then you don't subject that fastener to vibrations for at least 24 hours.

I don't even re-assemble my pistol when I've applied Loctite. I get the fasteners torqued and put the slide in a relatively warm place and don't touch it for at least 24 hours.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 05-05-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by ssc45 View Post
    I still think plates will be going the way of the dodo bird. Does anyone have any further info on whether or not glock will be releasing direct mount models in the near future?

Cheers, Steve
    My understanding is that Glock has samples in the field for US law enforcement(I don’t know about foreign agencies). They will be available to agencies only initially. Trijicon RMR, ACRO and Holosun 509 footprints available.

@Clusterfrack: my understanding is that the Holosun 509, ACRO and Steiner MPS have different footprints, so I’m not sure how one would standardize.

@TCinVA - thanks for the specific information. I had not even considered not assembling, and now will…

Edit to add: I think a Leupold Delta Point version also available.
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 05-05-2022 at 03:47 PM.

How about screws that come with blue loctite like material already applied -- screw and go, or a cure time?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Does anyone know the realistic cure time of 248, 243 and vc3? I figure I can let them work their stupidity, shoot for the day and then re torque without removing the screws. It is basically a cardinal sin to do ANYTHING to your weapon at this Agency because the world will end immediately...or so they seem to think.
    VC-3's drying time as published is 10 to 30 minutes. Note that this is letting the coated part sit in the open; once it's dried on the screws, then you use it to secure the optic/plate.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How about screws that come with blue loctite like material already applied -- screw and go, or a cure time?
    No cure time needed. Nylon patches and VC-3 are not reactive threadlockers like Loctite. This is why you need to reapply Loctite 242 after each use, due to the bonding of the locker to the threads, while nylon patches and VC-3 are advertised as multi-use.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I’d leave them alone overnight, as it seems the thread locker has to interact with the threads in the hole. @GJM, respectfully asking your experiences, as you and your wife have a lot of field experience.

Ill also defer to @TCinVA as he seems to have researched Loctite…

User Tag List