Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Board Game / Card Game Thread

Second Catan and Carcassone… Quest for El Dorado is another fun one; my 6 year old has a good grasp of it, and enjoys it as much as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    YOU enjoy them or you and your family/kids enjoy them?

One of the problems I've found in the board game world is that this distinction is not often clear these days. There are so many adult geeks playing games that it gets harder to find stuff that's good for the whole family.
    That's a fair criticism. Of the ones I listed, I would expect the gameplay and/or theming of Dixit and Chimera Station to be appealing to both kids and adults. BoardgameGeek is still going to be a good resource for you in terms of trying to find a wider selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Second Catan and Carcassone… Quest for El Dorado is another fun one; my 6 year old has a good grasp of it, and enjoys it as much as we do.
    Yeah, I have Quest for El Dorado, and it's good. It's sort of like mini-Dominion in terms of the cards/deckbuilding aspect of it, but with a board to travel across in order to achieve a goal vs just trying to accumulate victory points like in Dominion.

Site Supporter
    Another thought is the advent of cooperative games. Great for families who don't actually want to play *against* each other. At your kids ages, Castle Panic is a good choice. Pandemic (thematically appropriate) is also good, but might be just a hair advanced. But it's easy to help out, because you are all playing together. The thing about co-op games, you lose a lot. I mean, a lot. If you are winning consistently, you're probably playing a rule wrong.

Azul might also be a good choice. And I'll echo @olstyn, Puerto Rico, Carcassone and Dominion are all great games.

Also, consider dexterity games as an option. Caroom, Crokinole and Pitch Car are all fun for the entire family, relatively quick and easy to learn. Getting good at flicking those little disks...lifetime of challenge.

I'll look at what I have at home and see if anything else jumps out at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    Puerto Rico, Carcassone and Dominion are all great games.
    I have to admit that every time I play Puerto Rico, I giggle a little bit on the inside at what the woke police would say about that game, especially related to the fact that the worker tokens you place in it are brown. "RACISM!!!!" Like, sorry man, it's just a game piece, chill out...

Not a board game per se, but some of my fondest memories as a child involved playing Tripoli for pennies with my family.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I have to admit that every time I play Puerto Rico, I giggle a little bit on the inside at what the woke police would say about that game, especially related to the fact that the worker tokens you place in it are brown. "RACISM!!!!" Like, sorry man, it's just a game piece, chill out...
    I actually realized that we mostly play San Juan. Which is the card game, "lite" version of Puerto Rico.

Two other games. Can't Stop. An old game about probability and guts. And Call my Bluff/Liar's Dice. Another dice game about probability and bluffing. The math is very straightforward, but it does require some. So, it's both fun and "educational" (it doesn't actually teach anything, but it will consistently reinforce addition and multiplication.)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I was playing Canasta at a pretty young age. In the 1950s.
    My man! I recommend the same.

While I grew up down the bayou in south Louisiana, Mom’s side of the family was originally from the Midwest and were total card sharks. I almost can’t remember a time before I played Canasta. Great for all ages, and holding and keeping track of all the cards is fun for the littler ones.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Qwirkle is pretty solid from bright 6 year olds on up. It's sorta like scrabble, in that you get more points by laying down bigger combinations of tiles in a single growing mass of tiles, but you're making patterns instead of words.

Small World is a super simple Risk-like game that plays a lot faster than Risk.

User Tag List