Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board Game / Card Game Thread

Board Game / Card Game Thread

I didn't see a thread particular to this. There's a gamers gaming thread but I ass-you-me'd that's about video games...

We (me and wife are 46, kids are 13 and 10, both girls) like to play some games together, but we're kind of in a rut. We do the classis like Uno, and we've also tried some of the newer ones like Exploding Kittens and Bears vs Babies (although I'm not much of a fan of the last two).

Monoply has worked out ok. Little one kinda gets mad/bored but it also takes a long time.

there's a few other new ones we've tried but they're escaping my mind at the moment.

We could use some suggestions for something new.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Buy a set of dominoes and learn how to play 42. The 10 year old is old enough, and it helps with critical thinking/strategy (don't read too much into that anyone, its a game). Best way to explain is that its similar to spades, just with dominoes.

Backgammon is always fun too, but that is a two person game.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Not sure if this is the right niche for you but Munchkin is one my family has enjoyed on and off:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U7JJWE...01Z08AJ9Z7RFJD

Just silly fun. If you like it there are quite a few variants with different themes.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

10 is a rough age because they generally seem to consider themselves too old for the little kid games, but they're not quite up to some of old person games. So I always say Scrabble as a go-to game, but for 10 and even 13, it's quite a stretch, depending on how much they read and such. Most of my gaming these days is with a 10 year old--our youngest--and sometimes his 13 year old sister. For board games, we like Clue, Qwirkle, Blockus and Ticket to Ride. We also do a fair bit of Yahtzee and Skip-bo. We do play some Monopoly but generally we just play until all the properties get bought up so the fun part is over. Once people start getting to the 'you owe me eleventy billion dollars' we find that mad/bored stage is inevitable and since we're playing for fun, why deal with that stage? With some of the older kids, we had a lot of success with Risk and Settlers of Catan, as well as the inevitable D&D. I used to play Diplomacy quite a bit when I was a kid, but my kids never seemed to have any interest.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

I was playing Canasta at a pretty young age. In the 1950s.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Ugh, there are so very many better games than Monopoly.

Just to list off a few I personally enjoy:

Dominion
    Power Grid
    Dixit
    Carcassone
    Puerto Rico
    Chimera Station

The list goes on and on. Tons of good games out there. Check out https://boardgamegeek.com for tons of options.

Codewords may be an option. It may be more fun with 6-8 people, but you definitely could play it with just the 4 of you.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Ugh, there are so very many better games than Monopoly.

Just to list off a few I personally enjoy:

Dominion
    Power Grid
    Dixit
    Carcassone
    Puerto Rico
    Chimera Station

The list goes on and on. Tons of good games out there. Check out https://boardgamegeek.com for tons of options.
    YOU enjoy them or you and your family/kids enjoy them?

One of the problems I've found in the board game world is that this distinction is not often clear these days. There are so many adult geeks playing games that it gets harder to find stuff that's good for the whole family.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

https://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/usa/

Ticket to Ride works from bright six year olds (played with my grandson) to drunken shouting matches between adults.

Comes in many forms of different sizes. I have only played the standard board representing the USA.

I second Catan for reasonably bright 12 year olds to adults. One of my favorites. Haven't played since COVID.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    YOU enjoy them or you and your family/kids enjoy them?

One of the problems I've found in the board game world is that this distinction is not often clear these days. There are so many adult geeks playing games that it gets harder to find stuff that's good for the whole family.
    I would look at stuff under "German games" or "Eurogames" in board games. Catan and Ticket fit, I think.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List