Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The pistol design elements mix-and-match game

The pistol design elements mix-and-match game

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    …a USP squared-off grip.

… how the squared-off grip guns are generally associated with higher performance shooting and gunhandling
    I vastly prefer a Glocklike (USPlike) square grip to a sculpted round ‘ergonomic’ grip (p30, M&P). For me, the square shape presents an unambiguous grip. There’s one way to index the gun, and I can tell if I’m off my grip by a millimeter. Ergo type grips feel ok in a wider range of positions.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

A G42 with the capacity of a G43x.

They could call it the G42x.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    A G42 with the capacity of a G43x.

They could call it the G42x.

Do that without lengthening the grip and I'm in. But that means Glock would have to go to a metal-only mag so it will be up to Shield to do it. [emoji849]

Re-design the 43 frame to have the same width as the 43x and 48. Toss the 42 into that mix as well, while we're at it.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Hell, considering the modularity of the P30 grip, I'd almost bet that someone (HK??) could design grip modules that would, once installed, give a USP squared-off grip.

A thing that I do not understand is how the squared-off grip guns are generally associated with higher performance shooting and gunhandling, yet it's a coin toss on whether new designs will attempt to follow the performance or will instead try to get super-swoopy-curvy. Is it case of "feels good in the hand" driving sales and therefore designs?
    @Clusterfrack is right on the money. It's a consistency thing, at least for some of us.

To be clear, I think we're talking about a performance difference that's pretty subjective and of like a .0001% difference for some people. In the grand scheme of things, it probably does not matter. For myself, it's a matter of "the grass is greener" and wishing that few degrees of lateral movement under recoil could be eliminated more easily, or grip could be established just a little more consistently but, it's just not that big of a deal.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

I was watching Forged in Fire yesterday and I noted that one of the expert judges made mention of the rounded grip of the entry from one of the contestants and pointed out that it was much more likely to turn or twist in the hand in use than a more square grip which prevented the blade from twisting during striking. I assume that recoil from firing a gun and reaction from striking with a blade share some characteristics.

P2000 with the ability to be run SAO (i.e. hammer back, safety on). If there's a way to convert one, please enlighten me. Prior searches for such a conversion have universally resulted in a dead end.

Alternatively, a 9mm HK45C (HK9C?)
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

I want a modern version of the P7M13. In fullsize, compact, and subcompact, that can all use the fullsize mags. It should have a polymer frame, rail, but the squeeze cocking system of the original.

Squeeze-cocking is cool, but is there a price point that makes a difference?

I shot a buddies P7PSP, and I was almost a little hurt that the trigger was no better, and the recoil no softer, than any of the other more vanilla 9mm pistols that I had experienced.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    I’ll jump on the Glocks with a well done thumb safety. Maybe the safety from the 92x Performance. It was pretty nice.

P250 combined with P-07.

Ruger SP101 with Taurus 856 capacity.

User Tag List