Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The pistol design elements mix-and-match game

Site Supporter
    A Beretta APX/CZ P10C sized double stack .380 ACP with the S&W Shield EZ style internal hammer and grip safety, but with an HK light LEM style fire control. Ambi manual safety optional.
    Interchangeable backstraps for small hands.
    Slide has a threaded hole on either side to install a short optional peg or 'charging handle' to assist with gripping the slide to cycle it. VP9/S&W style slide serrations that are slightly wider at the rearmost of the slide as well.
    Glock 17/19 style sights and dovetail, Glock style 1913 slot on full-length dust cover that takes Glock keys for most lights/lasers. Factory rear sight will be a nice sharp 90* profile with the slide to assist with one-hand slide cycling techniques.

The pistol would come with a LULA style mag loader or have an exposed follower side-tab like a .22 magazine or the S&W Shield EZ mags to assist with loading.
    Anything more than 13-14 rounds would be great, but making the magazine reliable and easy as hell to load takes precedence over raw capacity.

The idea is a near-full-size pistol that has absolutely minimal recoil that can be run safely and effectively by someone with very compromised hand/upper body strength. If it could be done in 9mm, that'd be great, but I'd start with .380 ACP.

Basically, I want an ideal nightstand pistol for people like my buddy's 5ft1in 90lb wife with Ehlers-Danlos who will always have weak hands and joints, or my 71 year old Mother with carpal tunnel and arthritis. Or my old retired 1SG who has minimal use of his left arm from the elbow-down due to a nerve injury, and his right hand has severe arthritis. The only thing worse than seeing him struggle to rack the slide on a Glock 17 was thinking about a man that used to effortlessly one-arm an M240 being left unable to effectively run any available pistol.

This thread needs pics!

I call it the "USP30L". P30L slide, front frame section, trigger guard, mag release, and slide release. USP grip. Ideally with P30 mags. Obviously LEM because I'm a weirdo. Would probably be less inconsistent under recoil.

Name:  hk-usp30l-v1.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  37.7 KB
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

A CZ Shadowline Compact that weighs 4 oz. less than the current version (34.5 oz when loaded with 14 +1 rounds of 124 gr. GDJHP ammo)

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    This thread needs pics!

I call it the "USP30L". P30L slide, front frame section, trigger guard, mag release, and slide release. USP grip. Ideally with P30 mags. Obviously LEM because I'm a weirdo. Would probably be less inconsistent under recoil.

So close, yet so far away.

The blaspheming of ze Deutsche perfection ist complete!

I have yet to test ANY of these configs in live fire, so you've been warned. This is just from an initial test fit between the various combos. I'll create a thread at some point, but I have a lot of measurement and testing to do first.

P30 Slide on USP Compact Frame
    Attachment 72190
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I would love to have a 1911 in 9mm that was lightweight, reliable and priced like a Glock.

I would also love to have a hammer fired DAO 6-8 lb trigger Glock 48ish sized gun.

I would also like both of those guns to have a rimfire trainer available from the factory.

I would like Smith and Wesson to stop putting locks in their revolvers and offer a D-frame'ish sized 6rd series of ccw oriented revolvers in multiple calibers. .22 LR, .22 mag, .327 Fed, .357 Mag, 44 spec.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So close, yet so far away.
    Unfortunately, neither the P2K or P30 slides seem like they'll work on the USP Compact frame (9mm). They assemble, the slide locks back, and look like they're fine. Though, I tried to function check both and neither slide would allow the hammer to drop. Still trying to diagnose it and see if there's an easy solution, but looks like they may be a no-go. The P2K, on the other hand, looks like it may work with the P30 slide as it passed an initial dry function check so far.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

P2000 and P2000SK with a DAK trigger and an optics mounting system

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I would also love to have a hammer fired DAO 6-8 lb trigger Glock 48ish sized gun.
    A polymer 6946/3954/4583/4553 would be nice.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

This thread needs pics!

Along similar lines, I would love to have a Walther P99 AS with the decocker button relocated to the rear of the slide like some of the HKs so that you could mount an optic on top and yet retain the full function of the AS system. While I'm living in fantasy land, let's make it a "Carry Optics" special and build it on a steel frame with a a 5" barrel.

This thread needs pics!

Hell, considering the modularity of the P30 grip, I'd almost bet that someone (HK??) could design grip modules that would, once installed, give a USP squared-off grip.

A thing that I do not understand is how the squared-off grip guns are generally associated with higher performance shooting and gunhandling, yet it's a coin toss on whether new designs will attempt to follow the performance or will instead try to get super-swoopy-curvy. Is it case of "feels good in the hand" driving sales and therefore designs?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List