Page 89 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Moderna 2 for me was 12 hours of nothing, then ~6 hours swapping between full-body shuddering chills and then puddling sweats. Rinse. Repeat.
    Then 12 more hours or so of feeling less crappy, but still crappy. Not fun, but, worth it.

I was prepared for the same today.

Moderna 3 has been none of that. Just a slightly sore arm and slightly sore-all-over feeling this morning. Managed a good gym workout after some Acetaminophen. Feeling like I would benefit from another round of it this afternoon (slightly warm and a little tired), but, probably will skip it.

Sample size of 1...
    That's good to hear. My Moderna 2 was early March and my day after was not unlike yours except mine was more low grade headache that wouldn't go away, then fine the day after that. I just scheduled myself for Moderna 3 on Friday, Nov 6. I'm hoping the booster dose will be a little gentler but if I have a crappy or semi-crappy day after at least it will be on a Saturday.

As the thread nears 90 pages...

Any new info re: Moderna v Pfizer in terms of boosters. Is the not-official-but-kinda-maybe-accepted answer still that Moderna "lasts" longer, and that a booster might not be as necessary at 6 months as with e.g. Pfizer? Any idea on when that starts to be a good idea? 9 months? A year?

I did the Moderna booster on Friday (#2 was end of January) and the side effects were similar, but an order of magnitude less. I felt fine for the first 12 hours post shot, then the next 6-8 were mild to moderate headache plus full body aches and chills. #2 was significant magnitude, #3 was more of an annoyance that could be dealt with via Tylenol.

I found it interesting that the M Booster was half as much active ingredient as #1 or 2, but still more than the initial Pfizer (100/50 IU vs 30 IU). What bearing that has on long term effectiveness, I have no idea.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    As the thread nears 90 pages...

Any new info re: Moderna v Pfizer in terms of boosters. Is the not-official-but-kinda-maybe-accepted answer still that Moderna "lasts" longer, and that a booster might not be as necessary at 6 months as with e.g. Pfizer? Any idea on when that starts to be a good idea? 9 months? A year?
    I don't really know the data that well with the moderna vs the pfizer but fundamentally the mechanism of action of the vaccine is similar enough that I think it's splitting hairs. I still have to look at the data re boosters overall, but I don't know if we have a ton of good evidence to say that pfizer or moderna are significantly different overall

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm going to hold off on the booster for the 65 and older crowd for the time being...

I've had the two Moderna jabs...and my training / workouts and all is going fine, but every now and again I feel a little "flutter" for a second, and all this talk about myocarditis has me nervous...despite my not being the "age group".

It's probably just reading the back and forth generated by Newb's posts...but then you never know. (The flutter is not when working out...but only been noticed when I'm sitting in front of the laptop.)
    Funny you should mention that…
    I’ve noticed a change in the VO2max calculated by my Apple Watch in the last several months. After 2.5 years of having it consistently above 41, and averaging 43, it fell steadily over the last 5 months, bottoming out below 38. Same frequency and intensity of workouts over the past 18 months.
    Name:  C613D6A4-F4F8-41D4-BDE1-254F13913C42.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  30.5 KB
    Then, last week I had a thought, and dug out my vaccination card. First Pfizer shot in May, second on 1 June. Interesting that it coincides exactly with the drop in capacity.
    I know correlation doesn’t equal causation, but it’s certainly interesting. And it does leave me a little reluctant to consider a booster and any point in the future.

Thanks for that, @GyroF-16

Not sure what to make of it, and I try not to be one who overreacts, but being pretty self-aware as far as my mental and physical state, there's definitely something that wasn't there previously. I had the 2nd Moderna jab at the end of February.

My training, (weights, sandbags, kettlebells) today, and my last Concept2 erg row are right where I'd expect them to be...but every now and again, I'm aware of that little momentary flutter. (As I say, generally when I'm sitting in front of the laptop.)

Of course I'm six months older, and not getting any younger...so that's a possible factor as well...loathe as I am to admit such.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Funny you should mention that…
    I’ve noticed a change in the VO2max calculated by my Apple Watch in the last several months. After 2.5 years of having it consistently above 41, and averaging 43, it fell steadily over the last 5 months, bottoming out below 38. Same frequency and intensity of workouts over the past 18 months.
    Name:  C613D6A4-F4F8-41D4-BDE1-254F13913C42.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  30.5 KB
    Then, last week I had a thought, and dug out my vaccination card. First Pfizer shot in May, second on 1 June. Interesting that it coincides exactly with the drop in capacity.
    I know correlation doesn’t equal causation, but it’s certainly interesting. And it does leave me a little reluctant to consider a booster and any point in the future.
    Given that your apple watch is calculating this with the formula (HRmax/HRrest) * 15.3, that is a change I wouldn't put too much stock into. It is not actually measuring oxygenation, it is a purely ratiometric value more influenced by your caffeine intake than not.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Given that your apple watch is calculating this with the formula (HRmax/HRrest) * 15.3, that is a change I wouldn't put too much stock into. It is not actually measuring oxygenation, it is a purely ratiometric value more influenced by your caffeine intake than not.
    Yes, I recognize that it’s very much an approximation based on running pace / calorie burn compared to heart rate.
    I was just puzzled, as I couldn’t figure out what had changed- every day for 4-5 months. Resting heart rate is only slightly higher (58 vs 60) over the same timeframe. But heart rate for exercise seems to have risen significantly during exercise.

ETA: I just re-read your post. So you’re saying that the VO2max I’m being shown is only related to exercising heart rate compared to resting - independent of workload (pace or calorie burn rate)?
    I’m assuming that “HRmax” is the max during exercise, not my calculated max HR (like 220-age).

Interested to learn more here…
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 10-25-2021 at 06:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Got a text from CDC this afternoon inquiring about my booster status. I assume WalMart gave me up to Uncle Sam? Only 48 hours post vax. I'm impressed.

I'm in the VAERS system from doses 1 and 2, so, it was easy enough to report for dose 3.

Wife and I also got phone calls from our County Public Health letting us know that a booster was available. The two local counties I've interacted with on COVID stuff seem to have their acts together quite well.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Sample of 1, anecdotal: received the Moderna booster around 1400h yesterday. Went home, dozed and had dinner with the wife, retiring a bit early.
    Nothing really to note early AM. Went into the office, and just before lunch started to feel a bit flushed and achy- nothing alarming. I surmised it was the booster activating the response. After lunch, a brief session on indoor range beginning to evaluate the green Holosun 509T. Noted no degradation in average performance for me. Zeroed the sight, ran three drills and decided to call it, feeling some aches. Went by gym for a little exercise bike.
    I’ve been home for several hours. Took some “vitamin I”, had an adult beverage and all seems well.
    Happy to have had the opportunity.

User Tag List