Page 77 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Merck announces new treatment.
    ——————
    WASHINGTON — Merck & Co. said Friday that its experimental COVID-19 pill reduced hospitalizations and deaths by half in people recently infected with the coronavirus and that it would soon ask health officials in the U.S. and around the world to authorize its use.

If cleared, Merck's drug would be the first pill shown to treat COVID-19, a potentially major advance in efforts to fight the pandemic. All COVID-19 therapies now authorized in the U.S. require an IV or injection.

Merck and its partner Ridgeback Biotherapeutics said early results showed patients who received the drug, called molnupiravir, within five days of COVID-19 symptoms had about half the rate of hospitalization and death as patients who received a dummy pill. The study tracked 775 adults with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 who were considered higher risk for severe disease due to health problems such as obesity, diabetes or heart disease.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/01/10422...lization-treat

Site Supporter

COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Any after effects following the 2nd or 3rd shots?

2nd Moderna gave me a day of yuck. Just wondering if the typical reaction (if any) to the booster is similar to dose 2.
    Hoping that after 6 months, the booster reaction is much less icky than the dose 2 reaction (3-4 weeks after dose 1).

?
    After my second Moderna shot I had my resting heart rate reduce slowly a couple bpm every day from 55 all the way down to 38. Then after a couple of weeks finally reversed itself. EKG showed a slight non-scary abnormality; at the time Moderna heart inflammation side effects weren’t a known thing so the doc assumed it was just coincidental timing, and couldn’t be related to the vaccine. So I’m going to be really going slow and exploring my options re: booster shots. With my second shot experience I would be more comfortable with a non-Moderna booster, but then again there is no data on that kind of combo so it’s not currently recommended.
    Last edited by luckyman; 10-01-2021 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Edited for auto-correct picking wrong words

Got my Pfizer booster (3rd) shot yesterday, six months and one day after receiving my second shot. Absolutely no side effects. I didn't have any for the first two shots either.

Half dose for Moderna booster

Sorry if this got mentioned and I just missed it. FDA is looking at a half dose of Moderna for the booster, according to Bloomberg's anonymous sources.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    ——————
    WASHINGTON — Merck & Co. said Friday that its experimental COVID-19 pill reduced hospitalizations and deaths by half in people recently infected with the coronavirus and that it would soon ask health officials in the U.S. and around the world to authorize its use.

If cleared, Merck's drug would be the first pill shown to treat COVID-19, a potentially major advance in efforts to fight the pandemic. All COVID-19 therapies now authorized in the U.S. require an IV or injection.

Merck and its partner Ridgeback Biotherapeutics said early results showed patients who received the drug, called molnupiravir, within five days of COVID-19 symptoms had about half the rate of hospitalization and death as patients who received a dummy pill. The study tracked 775 adults with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 who were considered higher risk for severe disease due to health problems such as obesity, diabetes or heart disease.

I am exclusively referring to this drug as Ivermercktin
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Decoding molnupiravir-induced mutagenesis in SARS-CoV-2
    J Biol Chem. 2021 Jul; 297(1): 100867
    ...molnupiravir could become a paradigmatic example in the use of lethal mutagenesis as an antiviral strategy. However, there are inherent risks in this approach. NHC can be metabolized by the host cell to the 2′-deoxyribonucleoside form by the ribonucleotide reductase and then incorporated into the host cell DNA. The mutagenic effect of NHC has been shown in animal cell cultures (10), raising concerns on the potential risk of molnupiravir-induced tumorigenesis and the emergence of detrimental mutations in sperm precursor cell generation and embryo development.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    ——————

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    What reaction, if any, did you have to dose 2? Similar to dose 3?
    Just trying to get a feel for whether dose 3 might be as unpleasant as dose 2.
    Your dose 2 may have been a non-event, of course.

I''ve multiple patients who had gotten their 3rd under the immunocompromised indications, even if they weren't. Nobody reported anything worth mentioning.

Last week I had a chat with our hospital's only infectious diseases doc. She said she'd take the booster (she is young). Asked if she had any clinical outcomes data, she didn't. Them boosters will be available next week. I am gonna talk to my ICU and hospitalist colleagues and find out how many severe breakthrough cases they've seen in otherwise healthy 50+ year olds, and decide then.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Should folks be "brand loyal" re their boasters?

P with P
    M with M
    JJ with JJ

etc.

THX.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Decoding molnupiravir-induced mutagenesis in SARS-CoV-2
    J Biol Chem. 2021 Jul; 297(1): 100867
    ...molnupiravir could become a paradigmatic example in the use of lethal mutagenesis as an antiviral strategy. However, there are inherent risks in this approach. NHC can be metabolized by the host cell to the 2′-deoxyribonucleoside form by the ribonucleotide reductase and then incorporated into the host cell DNA. The mutagenic effect of NHC has been shown in animal cell cultures (10), raising concerns on the potential risk of molnupiravir-induced tumorigenesis and the emergence of detrimental mutations in sperm precursor cell generation and embryo development.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Should folks be "brand loyal" re their boasters?

P with P
    M with M
    JJ with JJ

etc.

THX.
    I was under the impression that the only shot with a booster available is Pfizer. Is that not that case? I got moderna, but my last dose was in early February so I'd be tempted to get a booster if I could.

User Tag List