Page 71 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Friday news dump:

An FDA advisory panel voted 18-0 to recommend Pfizer boosters for those 65+ and those with high risk or occupational exposure. If the FDA follows the panel's recommendation, qualifying patients could get a booster 6 months after their 2nd shot.

The same panel voted 2-16 - i.e. against - recommending boosters for the general population citing concerns a third dose might cause additional instances of myocarditis in those under 18. They wanted more data than was available at this time from the 300-person Pfizer booster trial or 3-million person Israel booster report.
    I have no time to look or review the source data. From what I remember off the top of my head, their votes didn't meet my own internal consistency test.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I have no time to look or review the source data. From what I remember off the top of my head, their votes didn't meet my own internal consistency test.
    If you find yourself with 8 hours to kill:

materials:
    https://www.fda.gov/media/152243/download

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 19.30.32.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  62.1 KBName:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 19.32.46.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  55.4 KBName:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 19.33.21.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  60.4 KBName:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 19.34.11.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  70.9 KBName:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 19.35.18.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  60.0 KBName:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 19.35.52.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  52.7 KBName:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 19.37.18.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  81.5 KB

Emphasis mine:

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 19.39.23.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  59.2 KB

Because we distributed vaccines to older populations first, it is hard to see enough data on 6+ month vaccine efficacy in younger populations. The fact that we have delta now vs alpha confounds things further. Knowing what I know at this point, I'll personally be getting a booster at 6 months (as a healthy ~40 year old)
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 09-17-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Careful, I got yelled at by the gun forum medical expert just for asking a question about this

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Careful, I got yelled at by the gun forum medical expert just for asking a question about this
    Want some salsa for that chip on your shoulder?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Want some salsa for that chip on your shoulder?
    I am glad you got the message. How are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I am glad you got the message. How are you doing?
    If you think I was presenting myself as a medical expert, or that I yelled at you.....I guess I'm doing more emotionally healthy/stable than you are.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Friday news dump:

An FDA advisory panel voted 18-0 to recommend Pfizer boosters for those 65+ and those with high risk or occupational exposure. If the FDA follows the panel's recommendation, qualifying patients could get a booster 6 months after their 2nd shot.

The same panel voted 2-16 - i.e. against - recommending boosters for the general population citing concerns a third dose might cause additional instances of myocarditis in those under 18. They wanted more data than was available at this time from the 300-person Pfizer booster trial or 3-million person Israel booster report.
    I'll be getting a booster next month. That will be 3 shots this year while 46% of the eligible population hasn't had any shots. I'm not doing it for anyone but myself and my wife and the fact that if I do get covid I likely won't be taking up space in the hospital for someone that wasn't smart enough to get vaccinated.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Speaking of vaccination rates, here are 2 more slides on that subject that I found interesting:

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 20.33.24.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-17 20.32.36.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  44.7 KB

(it seems odd to me that those aged 65-74 have a higher vaccination rate than 75+ )

If you find yourself with 8 hours to kill
    A projected time frame for that is the second half of 2035

I'll personally be getting a booster at 6 months (as a healthy ~40 year old)
    Well, if FDA wins this one, as a healthy 40 year old you can't have it .

Seriously though, since they have spelled out a concern about uncertain risk of a myocarditis, I wonder if vaccine providers will be willing to take any liability risks by giving boosters to "unapproved" groups. Obviously, boosters in such groups would be totally voluntary but the liability climate here is such that providers may choose not to bother.

I am nearly sure that they will carve out some exception for health care workers. As a healthy 50~ year old over 8 months post, I am sitting tight until I see a rise of severe breakthrough infections in healthy 50 year olds, or boosters show clinical outcomes, or delta booster is here.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

They did recommend boosters for anyone in a high risk occupation (not defined), as well as those with health conditions.

Basically they felt the most compelling reason for the general population to get the booster was to prevent infections, but they rejected the prevention of infections as a priority given that T & B cell responses seem to still be doing a good job preventing serious disease in most breakthrough infections. They would rather focus on vaccinating the unvaccinated (and don't seem to think you can do both).

With the rare incidences of myocarditis after shot #2 in those under 29 and the very low risk of serious disease in that age group, they also did not think it was appropriate to open boosters up to 16 year olds at this time. They indicated they would prefer to see a staggered approach while they collect more data on booster safety.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 09-18-2021 at 02:28 AM.

User Tag List