Page 55 of 185 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    That's a bit more than cool!!

Super congrats!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks, I finished out that block with a victory lap, got lots of extremely positive feedback the whole way thru, feels good to round it out with a score like that. Anyway back to the COVIDs etc.

Interesting analysis of the data out of Israel.

https://www.covid-datascience.com/po...are-vaccinated

Basically Pfizer is really good at preventing hospitalizations and severe illness even with Delta, but you need to look at per capita vaxxed vs unvaxxed instead of raw numbers as high or low levels in different populations sets will mess with the number.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Percentage Vaccinated vs Non-Vax?
    My local smallish hospital has been providing vaccinated vs non-vaccinated numbers for the past few days, which are posted on the Health Department website. They are also breaking down numbers of people in the icu, ventilated, etc.

Friday was interesting, with 22 admitted with covid, 17 who were non-vaccinated.

Today's numbers were 25 admitted, with 23 unvaccinated. 4/4 unvaccinated in the ICU; 1/1 unvaccinated on a ventilator.

Our percentage here is about even with the U.S. for vaccinations, with 59 percent of those over 12 years old vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Percentage Vaccinated vs Non-Vax?
    Just happened to se an email from Dept of Health late yesterday. Overall in NC for new covid admissions it's 88% unvax,12% Vax. For ICU they didn't break it down further, but it's even higher unvaccinated.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I just realized it would be interesting to see an animated graphic that was a 3D graph/map of covid cases in time. Like seeing all the NYT state graphs side by side at the same time. Could see the case counts rise, fall, spread, etc. Seems likely to reveal some geographic patterns. Might even be useful.

Anyone know of such a thing?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Just happened to se an email from Dept of Health late yesterday. Overall in NC for new covid admissions it's 88% unvax,12% Vax. For ICU they didn't break it down further, but it's even higher unvaccinated.
    Would be interesting to know more about those 12%.... Age, comorbidities, location (are you more/less likely to be admitted vs outpatient by location), etc.

The Canary for getting a booster, for me, would be a rise in the admissions rate of vaccinated people with no known comorbidities... if that data is even available. At nearly 7 months post vax-2, I'm hopeful that a spike of otherwise healthy people being hospitalized is still months or more away.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I just realized it would be interesting to see an animated graphic that was a 3D graph/map of covid cases in time. Like seeing all the NYT state graphs side by side at the same time. Could see the case counts rise, fall, spread, etc. Seems likely to reveal some geographic patterns. Might even be useful.

Anyone know of such a thing?
    That would be interesting. I can't seem to find such a thing, but I did find a stats page:

https://www.statista.com/topics/6084...-19-in-the-us/
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    So now my next dilemma is if I'm getting my children vaccinated when that time comes, at the ages of 10 and 6 they do not qualify yet. But with the potential risk of myocarditis and pericarditis I'm wondering what others would do or are doing here with their children? I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before I need to make that choice.
    My 10yo gets a poke as soon as it's permitted. I'm going to go get a third poke on general principles. I'm hoping I don't wind up having an autorenew prescription to pfizer.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Of course, I have to point out that we are all discussing tinnitus onset…

On a firearms forum.

Just wanted to follow on to this, and actually add something to the forum I have experience with.

Quick notes on tinnitus:

Creds: I have progressive tinnitus in both ears, due to otosclerosis, where the stapes bone in my middle ear has over calcified as a result of exposure to loud sounds. It usually occurs later in life and is usually genetic. I was diagnosed in my 30s, and assumed it was from head trauma/a youth filled with loud music and occasionally, industrial machinery. I ended up having one ear operated on, was going to do the second when COVID hit, so that has been delayed. I have a very good and well-regarded expert here in NYC who was quite confident that it was due to just an incident or two of gunfire in an enclosed space sans ear pro.

Anyway, even after the surgery (which transformed my "bad" ear into my "good" ear, while the new "bad" has progressively gotten worse, my doc informed me that there are a multitude of factors that contribute to the subjective experience of tinnitus. Even minute changes in blood pressure, atmospheric conditions, pitch/volume of ambient noise (ranging from silence to certain voices), allergies/congestion, etc. The blood pressure is a big part; even if you are not clinically hypertensive, stimulants, sodium intake, hydration levels, physical activity, and any kind of mental/physical stress can cause a change in tinnitus. He mentioned that I should expect to hear it surge during weightlifting (I do) and shared that some patients give up caffeine in order to lessen it (to which I said, just shoot me instead).

All of this to say, I had wondered if it had been made worse by my Moderna vax, but concluded in the end that it was more or at least just as likely stress/caffeine. No way to make a certain conclusion with an N = 1 and no control group, and certainly no blind on a very subjective phenomenon.

User Tag List