Page 51 of 185 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Vermont, that has the highest vaccination rate, is not overrun with COVID patients.
    To be fair, we were never overrun with COVID patients, even pre-vaccine. Since the beginning, we've only had a single day with a case count of over 300, and that occurred last week. Our numbers this summer were pretty well in line with what they were last summer when we had no vaccines. I really think in our case, it's more our small and relatively spread out population, and widespread compliance with public health recommendations, in addition to very high rates of vaccination. I'm certainly not a vaccine skeptic, and I think widespread vaccination definitely played a positive role, but we were doing relatively well even before the vaccines rolled out and our numbers are going right back up, just like everywhere else. They just don't look all that dire because our numbers have never looked bad by comparison to other states.

I definitely think the vaccines work, especially against older variants. I was on orders with the VTARNG from November through June doing contact tracing with the state health department and you could see the impact of vaccination in the caseload as they were rolled out by age group. Cases among seniors started dropping like a rock and much of the caseload shifted to younger people, particularly high school and college students. I talked to a 95 y/o man who had severe respiratory issues pre-covid and was a breakthrough case, but he basically had the sniffles. Without vaccination, I'm sure he'd have been dead. I think that the current rise in cases even here where almost 70% of the population is fully vaccinated speaks to the fact that Delta is the real deal compared to older variants.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    As far as I know, it's the same test for both viruses, which means that most people will never know for sure what virus they got. The lab down the hall from me is sequencing virus. I can't remember how many per week--maybe a hundred. I've seen some of their data, and I talk with that colleague pretty frequently. Delta is definitely real.We had a local variant pop up, which I was afraid was going to be a super delta. Fortunately it wasn't.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Much obliged for y’all not starting some sort of a mutant Mississippi variant over there that does something like bonds and reproduces extra good in cholesterol cells or can actually live and reproduce on nothing but a substrate of fried food.

Sincerely,

Your neighbor in the state to the East.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 08-28-2021 at 10:26 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Much obliged for y’all not starting some sort of a mutant Mississippi variant over there that does something like bonds and reproduces extra good in cholesterol cells or can actually live and reproduce on nothing but a substrate or fried food.

Sincerely,

Your neighbor in the state to the East.
    I saw a spirograph graphic a few weeks ago that claimed that a variant is created every ten hours and they've mapped a few hundred.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    I saw a spirograph graphic a few weeks ago that claimed that a variant is created every ten hours and they've mapped a few hundred.
    Yeah. The CDC actually has a pretty good rundown of some of the major variants here.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iant-info.html
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    A 4th dose so close to a booster that is reported to be very effective seems unnecessary, bordering on overdose.

Not a Dr. Only my unqualified intuition.
    I don't know if it's an OD, but it's definitely a test with one subject. Any reference I made to @Ed L being able to get a 4th shot with his new vax card would be months down the road, if that's even considered necessary.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    The virus mutates every 2-3 transmissions, but 99.99+ % of the mutations are inconsequential. Michael Lewis' book The Premonition briefly talks about how public health officials used genomic sequencing to trace the roots of an outbreak in Humboldt County (one drug dealer spread it to a bunch of seemingly random people throughout the community, including staff at a nursing home).

More recently an unmasked, unvaccinated teacher infected a bunch of kids in her class (who then went on to infect kids in other classes and at sleepovers). Marin County ran sequencing which the CDC used to publish this tree:
    Name:  snapshot_www.cdc.gov_1630229847373~2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  35.6 KB

14 people had the exact same virus, 9 had various single mutations.

Name:  mm7035e2-F2.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  37.4 KBName:  mm7035e2-F1.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  55.0 KB
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 08-29-2021 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I don't know if it's an OD, but it's definitely a test with one subject. Any reference I made to @Ed L being able to get a 4th shot with his new vax card would be months down the road, if that's even considered necessary.
    Thanks, I realized that when you meant when you wrote that. I was just speculating about what a 4th dose might help heighten my immunity if taken three weeks later as a follow up to my third shot. I don't want to wind up in a hospital bed with "Covid vaccine test with one subject" written on the top of my medical chart, even though the medical staff might pay more attention to me for research purposes. I would certainly like to help efforts against Covid, but I am not quite ready to donate my body to science at this point.

Post 3rd vaccination report: For whatever reason I started to feel worse late last night about 75 hours post vaccine with a headache and body aches--not nearly as bad as the day before. I woke up feeling a bit blah on Saturday, then felt better. I would still rate it much easier than my second shot.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-29-2021 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Clearly.

Well the novel Coronavirus may be the our current focus, but it sounds like you have some valuable information on some more...exotic threats.

We probably need a new thread for our really "intrepid" members to share information so the rest of can protect our members.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Is anyone doing a side effects topic?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Is anyone doing a side effects topic?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Somewhere on this forum there is a thread line on tinnitus and the vaccines. Thankfully, my own tinnitus is no more shitty than it’s been for decades, after 2 doses. I’m optimistic.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List