Page 32 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I’d say that door #2 is still mostly correct. The key metric is hospitalizations and severe infections which are still exceedingly rare in vaccinated populations. There might be some debate about the utility of masking, but we certainly would not be facing the prospects of entire health systems collapsing like we are in Mississippi where the vaccination rate is ~30%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...r-2021-8%3famp
    I strongly lean towards #2 myself, but the idea that we would be able to go "right back to normal " given the vast numbers of unvaccinated on the planet, new variants, etc. was far overblown. But the more vaccinated by %, the closer we are to something like the old normal, no doubt.

I have some thoughts on not pushing narratives of crises that pretend to more certainty of the future than is feasible, and on moving away from PR style manipulation to bloodless data presentation, but they belong in the covid politics thread, or perhaps a new thread in our politics section.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My point being is that if smells like perfumes from a person more than 6' away from me are not drawn up into the filtration system, other things in the air like viruses are reaching me before they are drawn up into the filtration system.
    I don’t know if I agree. Water droplets are much larger and may be more susceptible to airflow management (for the lack of knowing what it would actually be called.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I don’t know if I agree. Water droplets are much larger and may be more susceptible to airflow management (for the lack of knowing what it would actually be called.)
    Correct. Aerosol dispersal is not driven by diffusion (thermal energy). Airflow is the primary mechanism.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html

Scent particles are typically very tiny, and are rapidly dispersed by diffusion.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-12-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    There's enough genuinely terrible things to come out of covid that this doesn't really rate...but one thing I'm a bit choked about is that there does seem to have developed a bit of a false dichotomy between "vaccine" and "stuff that's generally good for you." There's enough wackos that push stuff like "just boost your immune system naturally by eating worm paste and local bee pollen and you won't need the vaccine" that I think it generates a bit of an either-or reaction in a lot of the general public. Either you take the vaccine, or nothing. Boosting your immune system? JUST GET THE VACCINE, STUPID!

It's unfortunate because I doubt there's a sane doctor in the western world who wouldn't say "yeah, boosting your immune system by getting more exercise, drinking less, losing weight, eating well, that's all going to help you generally and you should do that too." So there isn't actually a dichotomy. You should do natural stuff to be healthier and it will help increase your odds of surviving not just covid, but everything.

But the wacko naturalists always seem to suck up all the oxygen in the room on that stuff, and I think a lot of people end up thinking that the vaccine is the one total and complete solution, and every other thing is a waste of time advocated by crazies. Granted, the vaccine is obviously the single thing most likely to save you, but proactively managing your health by doing lots of exercisey, natural things is also a good idea. But the polarization over the vaccine just blanks out every nuance of the discussion, which I hate.
    There is an element of truth to the distrust of the natural thing, as they tend to loudly preach that all chemical stuff is like, totally a bummer, man, and if you just use this all natural stuff which I happen to be selling, you can cure like anything.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Just in case anyone is interested: one of the reasons there's a lot already known about aerosol dispersal mechanisms of 100 to 5 micron pathogens is the threat of an Anthrax attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Correct. Aerosol dispersal is not driven by diffusion (thermal energy). Airflow is the primary mechanism.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html

Scent particles are typically very tiny, and are rapidly dispersed by diffusion.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Just got moderna dose 1. I’m already covid recovered and man the combo of these situations is rough. Major fever and aches going into day two. Slowly getting better.

FDA authorizes third dose for the immune compromised.
    ——————
    Late Thursday night, the FDA amended the emergency use authorizations for both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines to allow for an additional dose for certain immunocompromised people, specifically, solid organ transplant recipients or those who are diagnosed with conditions that are considered to have an equivalent level of immunocompromise. The CDC estimates the population to be less than three percent of adults.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/13/10272...unocompromised

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    FDA authorizes third dose for the immune compromised.
    ——————
    Late Thursday night, the FDA amended the emergency use authorizations for both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines to allow for an additional dose for certain immunocompromised people, specifically, solid organ transplant recipients or those who are diagnosed with conditions that are considered to have an equivalent level of immunocompromise. The CDC estimates the population to be less than three percent of adults.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/13/10272...unocompromised
    Thanks! just called my friend who got a new kidney two years ago to let him know.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I strongly lean towards #2 myself, but the idea that we would be able to go "right back to normal " given the vast numbers of unvaccinated on the planet, new variants, etc. was far overblown. But the more vaccinated by %, the closer we are to something like the old normal, no doubt.

I have some thoughts on not pushing narratives of crises that pretend to more certainty of the future than is feasible, and on moving away from PR style manipulation to bloodless data presentation, but they belong in the covid politics thread, or perhaps a new thread in our politics section.

Read this last night and it nicely states how this thing ends. It’s not news to anyone really. It becomes endemic and we try to separate severe Covid 19 disease from SARS-Cov-2 the virus through immunization and prior infection.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ndgame/619726/

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My point being is that if smells like perfumes from a person more than 6' away from me are not drawn up into the filtration system, other things in the air like viruses are reaching me before they are drawn up into the filtration system.
    I think you may have hit upon it mate.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List