Page 21 of 185 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Student
    You guys should really all wait until someone opens the politics thread again or else you'll have made this thread another slog too.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    But there is some data that is confusing. The delta variant is supposed to be very contagious. As such, we would expect high infection rates until we see a change in behavior. But that is not the case. Places with high incidents of the delta variant suddenly stop having new cases, and I cannot see any correlation between human behavior and the drop in infection rates. That suggests our understanding is not complete.
    I agree that our understanding of most things in medicine are incomplete. However, the only places that I know of that have declining cares are places that have already gotten slammed, have high vaccination rates, draconian lockdowns, or some combination of these factors.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, for what it's worth I didn't tag you into the conversation or otherwise try to do anything to you. Kind of odd to chime in on a conversation out of left field and tell me to leave you the fuck alone...
    That was not directed at you in any way shape or form.
    Meant that I want the Government out of my life .

I was just blowing off steam ..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    You guys should really all wait until someone opens the politics thread again or else you'll have made this thread another slog too.
    I wholeheartedly agree!

Quote Originally Posted by karandom View Post
    What side effects are you and your wife concerned about and what would you need to see to make the juice worth the squeeze? I ask honestly as there are a few people in my life that probably share similar concerns and it would make me feel better if I could help them feel more comfortable about getting the shot. I'd also like to see you vaccinated despite you being an internet stranger as I think the vaccine eliminates the nasty tail risk of COVID.
    Doctors almost killed my Son he was 9 years old at the time.. he had a blood clot they where treating him for childhood arthritis.
    The Connecticut Children's Medical Center had him in a pool and other forms of physical activity .. Took him to a blood guy they found out he had other issue.

"Fran Drescher Says the “Worst Part” of Her Uterine Cancer Diagnosis Was Being Misdiagnosed by Doctors for One Year"

I am so torn because the medical people on here are not puppets for the State .. I truly believe they are sincere !!!!!
    I have also listened to people I trust that they have seen bad results from the shots.

This is my problem that I will not inflict on anyone else ..I don't have COVID ..my house is paid for .. my cars are paid for.
    I have the means to hide out in comfort for a long time and see how things go.

Stay safe and thanks for your post !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 08-01-2021 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Doctors almost killed my Son he was 9 years old at the time.. he had a blood clot they where treating him for childhood arthritis.
    The Connecticut Children's Medical Center had him in a pool and other forms of physical activity .. Took him to a blood guy they found out he had other issue.

"Fran Drescher Says the “Worst Part” of Her Uterine Cancer Diagnosis Was Being Misdiagnosed by Doctors for One Year"

I am so torn because the medical people on here are not puppets for the State .. I truly believe they are sincere !!!!!
    I have also listened to people I trust that they have seen bad results from the shots.

This is my problem that I will not inflict on anyone else ..I don't have COVID ..my house is paid for .. my cars are paid for.
    I have the means to hide out in comfort for a long time and see how things go.

Stay safe and thanks for your post !!!!!!!!
    I can understand how having bad medical experiences would shape your view here. I would say diagnosing is hard and not always done correctly as your experience shows, but vaccine safety is a different game then diagnosing illness in my opinion.

I won't ask you to say exactly who is telling you they have seen bad experiences with vaccines, but I'd keep considering anecdotal comments like these relative to the much larger pool of patients the doctors and nurses on this board have seen.

For what it is worth, my anecdotal experience is that those who are vaccine hesitant seem to hear about a large number of adverse events relative to those that aren't. In my life there are less then a handful of people not interesting in vaccinating, but otherwise every single friend, family member, co worker and secondary acquaintance is vaxxed and I haven't hear of a single bad event other then feeling like crap for a day or two. I am not a doctor, but fiance is and she and every single one of their colleagues has been vaxxed since Jan with no issues. Also over 96% of doctors are vaccinated https://www.ama-assn.org/press-cente...ainst-covid-19 so keep that in mind if you hear "medical professionals" are not getting vaccinated.

Study Suggests Lasting Immunity After COVID-19, With a Big Boost From Vaccination

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2782139

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....28.21261295v1

Summary: The mRNA vaccines are highly effective at preventing symptomatic and severe COVID-19 associated with B.1.617.2 infection. Vaccination is associated with faster decline in viral RNA load and a robust serological response. Vaccination remains a key strategy for control of COVID-19 pandemic.

——

My comments: current mRNA vaccination does not prevent breakthrough infection by the delta variant. These infections are highly likely to be asymptomatic or mild. And most importantly, breakthrough infection may be equivalent to a variant-specific vaccine booster.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    We're all spreaders now. Vaccinated or not. I get a short term flu like illness and the unvaccinated gets a stay in the ICU.

We are. No doubt about that at all in my mind. Short of vaxxing everyone on the planet for perpetuity, this crap isn't going away. Ever. Masks. Vaccines. Distancing. None of those really will slow it down, IMHO.

Your third sentence is a bit over the top though. Not everyone that is vaxxed avoids complications, though it seems the vast majority do. And not everyone who isn't vaccinated ends up in a hospital ICU either. Hell, a good portion of folks are probably spreading it without ever getting sick or only having minimal symptoms, easily written off as something else. Without widespread surveillance of the population as a whole, no one really knows how many asymptomatic carriers are out there.

I have so far chosen not to be vaccinated, as I don't work with the general public, and my personal "bubble" is pretty small. I've been working throughout this whole pandemic (essential don't ya know), and honestly resigned myself to the fact that I was likely to be exposed at some point. I'm fairly healthy, without any major known comorbidity, and not in a highly risky age group.

I may have actually had covid at the very beginning (late Feb/earl March 2020), as there was a bug that went around work that had a lot of similar symptoms. I never lost taste or smell, but I did have 2-3 days of zero energy, fatigue, chills, and maybe a mild fever. I never got tested when I was first sick, because I didn't meet the testing requirements/presenting symptoms at that time. Afterwords I had a good 6-8 weeks of a dry, non-productive cough, and a general feeling of fatigue, and some shortness of breath/rapid heart rate. 3-4 weeks after my original sickness, with my dry cough persisting, I went to urgent care (really, a heated tent in the parking lot), was given some antibiotics, and sent, with a doctors order, to get a covid test. That whole process, even with an order from a doc for the test, was a giant Charlie Foxtrot. At first they wouldn't test me. Eventually I did get swabbed, and waited 3 days for a negative result, before I was allowed to come back to work. I figure if I did have it, after almost a month I probably wouldn't have shown a positive result at that time. I never have bothered to get tested for antibodies. Whatever it was, sucked for a good long while.

I had recently been considering getting the shots, because I'd like to get back into physical therapy for my shoulder ( I had surgery back in January, PT'd like hell in March/April/June, and still ended up with a "frozen shoulder"). When I was going before, masks were required, vaxxed or not. I don't care for wearing a mask all the time, but I've worn them where asked/required, particularly in places like a hospital or doctors office. They lifted the restrictions for vaccinated patients just before I chose to take a break from therapy to allow the frozen shoulder to resolve itself. I was assuming that they'd ask me to mask up if I went back, and being able to go without, was looking better all the time. That in and of itself would be a dumb reason to get the shots, so I have still been in a holding pattern. With the CDC recommending even vaccinated people wear masks indoors again, I don't think having the shots will matter if I go back to PT in a month or so. The risk of new strains etc bothers me slightly, but I mostly just figure its never going to go totally away at this point, unless it somehow burns itself out ( which seems unlikely).

Back on the fence I go... I may eventually get the shots. I don't normally get a flu shot (I've felt like I had the flu a couple times after, and had a rough bout with H1N1 despite a shot that year), but I've always been fine with other vaccinations. Something about this one just seems overly forced, which makes me suspicious. It seems to have obvious benefits, but I do wonder about long term effects, and the reported side effects, which are, admittedly, probably not outside the norms of most other vaccines. The fact that the makers of the shots haven been given immunity to liability, bothers me a bit, though I can understand why that would be put into play, when trying to ramp up a new vaccine in short time frames.

Long rambling post coming to and end here soon: I feel like the vaccine and covid has been politicized by all sides, propagandized by all sides, and I just don't trust anything at this point. The CDC has flip-flopped on things too much for my taste. I feel like if folks want to get it, they should. I feel like the push/shame/propaganda effort in the media has backfired, and brought about much of the pushing back and "anti-vaxxer" attitude. Plenty of DNA changing 5G nanomachine baloney muddying the waters too. I'd rather err on the side of risky freedom, than a locked down "safe" state... that isn't, and harbors other dangers, of greater threat than a mere virus.

Straying a bit into the politics there, so I hope that can be forgiven. I just wish folks would be less of a nosy neighbor/Karen, and live and let live. I've enjoyed reading the opinions of everyone, and also some of the data points and articles that have been presented. Particularly those in the medical field with first hand experience. I think we here on P-F do a better job talking things out, and presenting the facts of the issues at hand, than a lot of the other corners of the internet.

I see the people that have the chance to get vaccinated and don't and shake may head...

But it may benefit us in countries fighting to get enough vaccines for all, as you may know not all the world has access to them now, at any price.

User Tag List