Page 2 of 185 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Your quote of Clusterfrack doesn't link to a post by him saying anything about malaria.

Can you give a correct link so I can read what you're referring to? There's otherwise no context to your reply.
    I think he was quoting Joe.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

From CDC: 5,500 reported breakthrough infections of vaccinated people resulting in hospitalization or death from a population of 159 million fully vaccinated people.
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...ugh-cases.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    From CDC: 5,500 reported breakthrough infections of vaccinated people resulting in hospitalization or death from a population of 159 million fully vaccinated people.
    i know one of them. She has COPD. Probably would be dead if not vaxxed.

I wonder if by "breakthrough" what is really meant is "noticeable enough to get tested and confirmed"?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Student
    Moderna
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04470427
    Actual Enrollment : 30420 participants
    Actual Study Start Date : July 27, 2020
    Estimated Primary Completion Date : October 27, 2022
    Estimated Study Completion Date : October 27, 2022
    Pfizer
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728
    Estimated Enrollment : 43998 participants
    Actual Study Start Date : April 29, 2020
    Estimated Primary Completion Date : November 2, 2021
    Estimated Study Completion Date : May 2, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    So using this data we have a .003% of vaccinated people being hospitalized/dying from COVID. I realize this will change as time goes on and I also realize that it doesn't account for the infections of people who never knew they were infected, but the vaccines look pretty damned effective.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 07-18-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Just curious.

Is anyone here arguing that the vaccine is ineffective at reducing the number (and/or severity) of COVID cases?

(edit: clarification.)
    Last edited by David S.; 07-18-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Just curious.

Is anyone here arguing that the vaccine is ineffective at reducing the number (and/or severity) of COVID cases?

(edit: clarification.)
    I've heard it argued both ways of late but not here on P-F that I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Hopefully this is appropriate for this new thread?

New Study on Antibody Response Shows We Should Hit the Brakes on Push for COVID Vaccine Boosters

The story takes a while to get to the gist of the byline.... too much blather... but...
    The first embedded link is to Science Daily... Interesting read there as well.

Further down in the same story... Emphasis mine...
    IIRC, way before Covid, I read articles about the hypothesis that mRNA vaccines would lead to much more long-lasting immunity than traditional vaccines. Looks good so far.

But if a new strain bypasses the immunity of the current vaccination, I can't imagine we would have time to get a booster out without extensive genetic testing on the virus globally and a plan to produce and distribute the booster at transwarp speed.

Am I being too pessimistic?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    IIRC, way before Covid, I read articles about the hypothesis that mRNA vaccines would lead to much more long-lasting immunity than traditional vaccines. Looks good so far.

But if a new strain bypasses the immunity of the current vaccination, I can't imagine we would have time to get a booster out without extensive genetic testing on the virus globally and a plan to produce and distribute the booster at transwarp speed.

Am I being too pessimistic?
    I'm guessing, that a booster is, like anything, part of a solution that overlaps with other solutions. If some really new and nasty variation breaks out, you try it slow it down with social distancing, partial shutdowns, and quarantines to buy time for to research what the booster needs to contain. If I had any sway at an R&D branch of a pharmaceutical company, I'd have my people working on stuff for any variant that rears its head to reduce the lead time for the one that ends up becoming problematic. I imagine there are a few universities doing the same thing.

At least the we have better experience with the mass manufacture and distribution of vaccines now compared to a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I'm guessing, that a booster is, like anything, part of a solution that overlaps with other solutions. If some really new and nasty variation breaks out, you try it slow it down with social distancing, partial shutdowns, and quarantines to buy time for to research what the booster needs to contain. If I had any sway at an R&D branch of a pharmaceutical company, I'd have my people working on stuff for any variant that rears its head to reduce the lead time for the one that ends up becoming problematic. I imagine there are a few universities doing the same thing.

At least the we have better experience with the mass manufacture and distribution of vaccines now compared to a year ago.
    Yeah, and mRNA vaccines can be developed and produced faster than then the alternatives. But given the problems with vaccine acceptance, it's hard for me seeing boosters doing enough soon enough to affect the strain that evades the current vaccines as far as transmission goes.

Would it be prudent to start boosting against Delta anyway, on the assumption that the strain that does require a booster for sure will be more similar to Delta than the original strain?

I'm guessing the answer to that question is "no," since I pulled that reasoning out of my posterior.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List