Page 148 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1845

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm unvaxxed for COVID. Wife had the first dose several months ago, but I don't think she got a second.

SIL was scheduled to have her fourth dose this week. She seems better today than yesterday - just mild cold like symptoms.
    Hoping it continues to be mild for you.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Anyone know how the rapid antigen tests work or what could explain this?

Boosted subject felt fatigue and throat tickle, but the rapid antigen test showed negative during the 10-15 minute window for which the package says the results are valid. The next morning the test showed a faint positive, but again the instructions say not to interpret results after 15 minutes.

A 2nd rapid test that evening showed negative during the 10-15 minute window and remained negative the next day.

What, aside from covid, could cause a faint positive overnight one time and not the other? The test was left undisturbed on the same table under the same atmospheric conditions...
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-20-2022 at 02:55 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Anyone know how the rapid antigen tests work or what could explain this?

Boosted subject felt fatigue and throat tickle, but the rapid antigen test showed negative during the 10-15 minute window for which the package says the results are valid. The next morning the test showed a faint positive, but again the instructions say not to interpret results after 15 minutes.

A 2nd rapid test that evening showed negative during the 10-15 minute window and remained negative the next day.

What, aside from covid, could cause a faint positive overnight one time and not the other? The test was left undisturbed on the same table under the same atmospheric conditions...
    Rapid antigen tests use a technology called ELISA that rely on immobilized antibodies on the surface of the test to bind to a target from the sample reflective of the underlying disease process in question. When the antibodies bind, they produce a chemiluminescent reaction giving the result on the test. In the case of COVID, antigen tests use antibodies against specific viral proteins.

The longer the sample is allowed to sit on the test, the longer the possibility that you have a non-specific binding event (these antibodies especially in cheaply produced home tests are not going to be terribly specific). That is why they give you the detection window. However as mentioned these tests are often not very sensitive or specific so interpret with grain of salt.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-22-2022 at 06:42 PM.

New studies just out

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/...cid=mm7104e3_w

During Omicron predominance, VE against COVID-19–associated hospitalization was 81% among 2-dose recipients who had received the second dose 14–179 days earlier, 57% among those who had received it ≥180 days earlier, and 90% at ≥14 days after receipt of a third dose. VE estimates for patients who received dose 2 ≥180 days earlier significantly declined during Omicron predominance compared with estimates during Delta predominance.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/...cid=mm7104e2_w

Rates of COVID-19 cases were lowest among fully vaccinated persons with a booster dose, compared with fully vaccinated persons without a booster dose, and much lower than rates among unvaccinated persons during October–November (25.0, 87.7, and 347.8 per 100,000 population, respectively) and December 2021 (148.6, 254.8, and 725.6 per 100,000 population, respectively) (Table 2). Similar trends were noted for differences in the mortality rates among these three groups (0.1, 0.6, and 7.8 per 100,000 population, respectively)

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...?resultClick=1

These findings suggest that vaccination with 3 doses of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, compared with being unvaccinated and with receipt of 2 doses, was associated with protection against both the Omicron and Delta variants, although higher odds ratios for the association with Omicron infection suggest less protection for Omicron than for Delta.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    New studies just out

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/...cid=mm7104e3_w

During Omicron predominance, VE against COVID-19–associated hospitalization was 81% among 2-dose recipients who had received the second dose 14–179 days earlier, 57% among those who had received it ≥180 days earlier, and 90% at ≥14 days after receipt of a third dose. VE estimates for patients who received dose 2 ≥180 days earlier significantly declined during Omicron predominance compared with estimates during Delta predominance.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/...cid=mm7104e2_w

Rates of COVID-19 cases were lowest among fully vaccinated persons with a booster dose, compared with fully vaccinated persons without a booster dose, and much lower than rates among unvaccinated persons during October–November (25.0, 87.7, and 347.8 per 100,000 population, respectively) and December 2021 (148.6, 254.8, and 725.6 per 100,000 population, respectively) (Table 2). Similar trends were noted for differences in the mortality rates among these three groups (0.1, 0.6, and 7.8 per 100,000 population, respectively)

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...?resultClick=1

These findings suggest that vaccination with 3 doses of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, compared with being unvaccinated and with receipt of 2 doses, was associated with protection against both the Omicron and Delta variants, although higher odds ratios for the association with Omicron infection suggest less protection for Omicron than for Delta.
    Translation

Vaccines work.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I got my first COVID shot today. My main concern has been the reports I've read about people with hearing loss and tinnitus having their symptoms worsen with the vaccinations. My daughter, who has never had problems with her ears, developed tinnitus right after her first shot. So I hesitated, but now my employer is taking a hard line and requiring employees to be vaccinated.

Right now it seems my tinnitus is somewhat elevated. But I can't determine if it is related to the shot or not, because today at the range some dumbass pulled the trigger on a loaded pistol in the retail area. I was standing twenty feet away, but it was still loud. Sounded like a 9mm, and it destroyed a display case. The staff at that place are usually pretty good about safety, so it surprises me he was able to remove a pistol from his range bag and press the trigger without someone stopping him. They checked his bag afterward and found a second loaded gun. Obviously several major mistakes were made leading up to the bang, and my ears are pretty pissed off about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I got my first COVID shot today. My main concern has been the reports I've read about people with hearing loss and tinnitus having their symptoms worsen with the vaccinations. My daughter, who has never had problems with her ears, developed tinnitus right after her first shot. So I hesitated, but now my employer is taking a hard line and requiring employees to be vaccinated.

Right now it seems my tinnitus is somewhat elevated. But I can't determine if it is related to the shot or not, because today at the range some dumbass pulled the trigger on a loaded pistol in the retail area. I was standing twenty feet away, but it was still loud. Sounded like a 9mm, and it destroyed a display case. The staff at that place are usually pretty good about safety, so it surprises me he was able to remove a pistol from his range bag and press the trigger without someone stopping him. They checked his bag afterward and found a second loaded gun. Obviously several major mistakes were made leading up to the bang, and my ears are pretty pissed off about it.
    Good grief. That sucks -- didn't someone fire one off next to you previously, causing damage? Or am I thinking of another member?

What's the numbers on full vaccination + post breakthrough Covid infection?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Good grief. That sucks -- didn't someone fire one off next to you previously, causing damage? Or am I thinking of another member?
    Yes, that is how most (not all) of my hearing damage occurred. A large bore revolver was fired several times in rapid succession next to me on what was supposed to be a cold range. My hands were full of equipment so I couldn't cover my ears in time.

This thing today was not nearly as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    What's the numbers on full vaccination + post breakthrough Covid infection?
    Not quite what you asked for, but related analysis on why herd immunity still remains elusive:

Covid19 Delta Variant
    Vaccine effectiveness: 60% (CDC link: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...-effectiveness )
    R nought: 6-7 (link: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...cdc-chickenpox
    Herd immunity low: (1/0.60) × (1 - 1/6) = 139%
    Herd immunity high: (1/0.60) × (1 - 1/7) = 143%

Covid19 Omicron Variant
    Vaccine effectiveness: 10% after two doses, 75% immediately after booster, 45% 10 weeks after booster (https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/10/pfiz...r-omicron.html
    R nought: 7-14 (https://omicronb11529variant.com/is-...ng-politifact/)
    2 dose Herd immunity low: (1/0.10) x (1 - 1/7) = 857%
    2 dose Herd immunity high: (1/0.10) x (1 - 1/14) = 929%

Fresh booster herd immunity low: (1/0.75) x (1 - 1/7) = 114%
    Fresh booster herd immunity high: (1/0.75) x (1 - 1/14) = 124%

10 week old booster herd immunity low: (1/0.45) x (1 - 1/7) = 190%
    10 week old booster herd immunity high: (1/0.45) x (1 - 1/14) = 206%

User Tag List