Page 134 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1845

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

I could be misremembering but I recall pretty early in the vaccine push that the messaging was consistent with “you can still get it and possibly spread it, but the risk of having a case severe enough to warrant hospitalization would be reduced to practically 0%.” I remember the idea that the vaccinated couldn’t get covid falling by the wayside almost immediately.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    There were a few months here where you weren't required to wear masks of you were vaccinated. But things change.

The hallmark of scientific thought is that it takes into account new developments and allows for the possibility that you may be wrong.

It does still appear that the vaccine reduces overall severe side effects.

Anyways, here's a snap from my workplace detailing stats collected through the entire system, which includes 26 hospitals.

Bear in mind the definition of "fully vaccinated" here includes a booster.

I'd be interested in seeing a more in depth breakdown personally, but I'm not too stressed about the vaccine being ineffective or dangerous, even knowing a couple of people who developed myocarditis (and recovered very quickly)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I could be misremembering but I recall pretty early in the vaccine push that the messaging was consistent with “you can still get it and possibly spread it, but the risk of having a case severe enough to warrant hospitalization would be reduced to practically 0%.” I remember the idea that the vaccinated couldn’t get covid falling by the wayside almost immediately.
    Yep. The very first data from clinical trials of the mRNA vaccines said ~95% protection against the then current form of the virus. Not 100%. Not "you can't spread it". This is why scientific literacy is important.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    than shooting up experimental junk pharma products.
    What is the basis for your statement that one of the most widely distributed vaccines in history, having full approval since the middle of 2021, is "experimental junk pharma"?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Dropping in to this conversation from vacation… The action of the mRNA vaccines is well established by strong scientific evidence. The RNA is expressed, produces protein similar to that of the virus, and triggers an immune response. It’s saved 1000s of lives. This is a major breakthrough in vaccines that we should be celebrating.

Are there unknown side effects? Almost certainly. However, given the number of treatments, these seem very rare.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Yep. The very first data from clinical trials of the mRNA vaccines said ~95% protection against the then current form of the virus. Not 100%. Not "you can't spread it". This is why scientific literacy is important.
    That's what is beyond irritating to me about all this as well. I've been following the development of the vaccines from the beginning and I specifically remember exactly what you posted. Yet here a year and a half later, society seems convinced this is a brand new development with the vaccines. All along it was about reducing the severity of the disease process. If it also slowed down or stopped spread of it, that's even better. All I really cared about was not being hospitalized/vented.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    That's what is beyond irritating to me about all this as well. I've been following the development of the vaccines from the beginning and I specifically remember exactly what you posted. Yet here a year and a half later, society seems convinced this is a brand new development with the vaccines. All along it was about reducing the severity of the disease process. If it also slowed down or stopped spread of it, that's even better. All I really cared about was not being hospitalized/vented.
    Yeah, at this point it very much looks like a combination of intentionally moving the goalposts by people who are (for a variety of reasons) opposed to vaccination and reporters reporting on a report and not knowing what the heck they're talking about (big surprise, reporter reports in ignorance).

I think the "vaccines suck, people still get sick" response is a lot like saying "you shouldn't carry a gun because some people who carry a gun still get robbed/killed/whatever". I think the second statement would be ridiculed if someone stated it here, but I don't think it's that different from looking at the failure rate of vaccines and being like "nope, those are poop."

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Yeah, at this point it very much looks like a combination of intentionally moving the goalposts by people who are (for a variety of reasons) opposed to vaccination and reporters reporting on a report and not knowing what the heck they're talking about (big surprise, reporter reports in ignorance).

I think the "vaccines suck, people still get sick" response is a lot like saying "you shouldn't carry a gun because some people who carry a gun still get robbed/killed/whatever". I think the second statement would be ridiculed if someone stated it here, but I don't think it's that different from looking at the failure rate of vaccines and being like "nope, those are poop."
    Can I suggest a mod to this?

“you shouldn't carry a gun because while people who use a gun in self defense are much less likely to get robbed/raped/murdered, someone can still rip you off on the internet”
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Can I suggest a mod to this?

“you shouldn't carry a gun because while people who use a gun in self defense are much less likely to get robbed/raped/murdered, someone can still rip you off on the internet”
    Lol, yeah, that's an even better analogy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I’m glad you understood it at the time (not snark).
    I followed the reporting (no medical background, but literate, and fairly well educated), and I was under the impression that vaccines prevented or reduced transmission until only a few months ago.
    In addition, 6 months ago in my state, most businesses had signs on the door saying “Masks are required unless you are vaccinated.”
    I stayed in several hotels around the country last month with similar signs.
    My company’s contact tracing and quarantine policies were different for vaccinated vs unvaccinated until this week.

ETA - Hell, the nation’s leader even went to television and told us that it was our patriotic duty to get vaccinated to help stop the spread.

So I won’t dispute the facts of when the benefits of vaccines were known.
    But those facts seemed to rarely affect public policy, which likely contributed to widespread misunderstandings which are only now coming to light as Omicron very plainly spreads regardless of vaccines.

ETA - to be clear - I intend no political slant to my post, and am not opposed to vaccines. Just pointing out WHY so many people have believed that vaccines slowed or prevented transmission for such a long time.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 01-10-2022 at 01:56 PM.

User Tag List