Page 48 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    The US government is considering reducing the time between the second and third dose from the current 8 months down to five months.
    Well played on your end, Ed!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I don't doubt that we will need booster doses in the future or that they will have improved vaccines optimized to deal with new variants. When I registered on the website with this as my *first* dose, it required me to make an appointment to get a second dose in three weeks. This would really be my 4th dose. Obviously I am not planning to get what would be my 4th dose in three weeks. I don't want to be a test case.
    I got Pfizer. My clinic lost my paperwork and did not report anything to the state database or my PCP as required. I have two supervisors looking into it, but if they can't verify and register my vax I will be getting two more doses in the next five weeks as a requirement for employment. My wife has several health problems and has been told that if her health and/or religious exemptions are not improved in the next six weeks she will get four months of leave without pay. No one knows what will happen at four weeks and one day, although we have our suspicions.

On a brighter note, a coworker was in LA last weekend and they were offering free Dodger tickets for the newly vax'd. So they stood in line and got J&J on top of their 8 month old Pfizers and saw the Dodgers-Mets for free. They had no complaints.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I got Pfizer. My clinic lost my paperwork and did not report anything to the state database or my PCP as required.
    What about the little white CDC vax card you were supposed to get?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Doctors here where our hospitals are full of patients have begun to push for more people who test positive for covid to get monoclonal antibody treatments as an effective way of preventing hospitalizations.

When given early in the course of an infection -- that is day one, two or three of symptoms, certainly before day six -- you get the maximum benefit,” said Dr. Michael Saag, an infectious disease physician at UAB Hospital. “And what it does is it shortens the duration and reduces the severity of illness significantly, keeps people out of the hospital.

The old rules that had people over the age of 55 or 65, most of them have been vaccinated in our state, so we don’t see many of them anymore unless they’ve got a significant underlying disease,” Saag said. “But it’s really meant for most anyone who has an underlying condition of any sort. And so we’ve really liberalized the the eligibility criteria.”

The federal government purchased a large number of the antibody treatments for use in hospitals, but many hospitals are facing staffing shortages and logistical hurdles that make it harder to administer the treatment to all who request it.

Because the treatment is most effective when given early, Thrasher said the goal is to administer it to as many patients as possible, as soon as possible after they test positive.

“It’s sometimes hard to predict who’s going to get really sick,” he said. “The young folks who don’t have a whole lot of problems, they can still get really sick. So, I don’t turn down many folks.”
    https://www.al.com/coronavirus/2021/...erely-ill.html
    im strong, i can run faster than train

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    For whatever reason they didnt write shit on mine for 3rd dose. Wasnt really room I guess.

Site Supporter
    Never happened.

The clinic that vax'd us had us done by the first week in Feb as a favor to the first responders. What we figured happend was that we were at maximium 40 first responders in a clinic serving almost seven thousand employees, a medical school, two nursing schools, two EMS programs, a pharmacy school, a PT school, a OT school, and other programs over 30 sites. It looks like the paperwork flow went to employee health, where staff has access to their records and thier subordinate's records, as the primary gauge, and then sent to CDC, the state database etc. We have employee badges/IDs to get in the doors when necessary (and use the nice weight room), but we are not employees. Of the 25-35 of us that got vax'd (I know not everyone did) about 6 of us have no documentation in medical records, employee/occupational health, the local intranet, mychart, the state vaccination database (which has every flu shot I have had since 2016), the CDC, etc.; other than the receipt we were given after the second dose. Due to fraud issues, my receipt would have to be verified with the clinic documents. Which no one can find.

Given the government bureaucratic machinations, I have no doubt they will find my stuff. I will probably get a phone call 15 minutes after my second (fourth) dose saying "guess what Mr. UNM1136: we found your paperwork and will get it to the CDC, the state database, and employee occupational health this afternoon!"

Frankly I have been super busy with new hire training this year. I am the senior and primary FTO, so in the last 10 months I have had 7 new hires to train, and am getting ready for my 8th. Of those, only one has been a lateral hire; all others have been recruits straight out of the academy. That is on top of my firearms and active shooter training responsibilities, and my mandated training to keep up my certs. I don't think I could find my ass with both hands and three tries right now. Getting a vax card completely slipped my mind. We had a HUGE delta variant exposure this month, and Occupational Health was freaking out that there is no official record of my vaccinations. That is what started this whole shitshow, and now six of us are scrambling to get the clinic to cough up the paperwork. Monday is the deadline for us to get this resolved, or we have to do it again. Getting a vax card, had the CDC been notified, would have reduced the pains in my ass this month considerably.

pat

Well played on your end, Ed!
    If only I had this foresight with my investment decisions. Now, the big question is do I want to double down and get the dose that they have me scheduled for in three weeks--which they believe will be my second dose but which will really be my forth dose? Will this put me ahead of the curve before they decide that you really need a series of two boosters? Will this further boost my immunity and make me the Omega man? Or will this put me in the hospital and give them a novel case of someone who took 4 doses to study?

At about 51 hours after getting the 3rd dose I was feeling completely back to normal other than a tender arm. This was easier than my second dose which had me feeling sick for a number of days and seemed to take at least 5 days before I felt unsick and longer than that before I didn't feel abnormally tired.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-27-2021 at 11:01 PM.

I’m wondering how soon after a Shingrix vax I can do a Covid booster? I’m tempted, I’m flying in two weeks…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m wondering how soon after a Shingrix vax I can do a Covid booster? I’m tempted, I’m flying in two weeks…
    This is from March. I just got a Covid booster and flu vax the same day, so apparently that is OK.

"Wait at least 14 days before getting any other vaccine, including a flu or shingles vaccine, after you get your COVID-19 vaccine," the agency writes. "Or if you get any other vaccine first, wait at least 14 days before getting your COVID-19 vaccine."

If you get a #COVID19 vaccine, wait at least 14 days before getting any other vaccine, including those for flu or shingles. If you get another vaccine first, wait at least 14 days before getting your COVID-19 vaccine. Learn more: https://t.co/48x8hF7Aue. pic.twitter.com/CPfX5jiDSw

— CDC (@CDCgov) March 11, 2021
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    This is from March. I just got a Covid booster and flu vax the same day, so apparently that is OK.
    Thanks!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List