Page 47 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post

Adjusted VE during this Delta predominant period was 66% (95% CI = 26%–84%) compared with 91% (95% CI = 81%–96%) during the months preceding Delta predominance.

Effectiveness of COVID-19 Vaccines in Preventing SARS-CoV-2 Infection Among Frontline Workers Before and During B.1.617.2 (Delta) Variant Predominance — Eight U.S. Locations, December 2020–August 2021

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/...cid=mm7034e4_w
    Thanks for posting.
    Would've been nice if they also provided comparison of clinical outcomes during those two periods.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Just happened across this thread.

I got Moderna vaccination in February and March. Wife brought home COVID August 4. I stayed home and took care of her. Tested negative three (3) times during the two weeks she was home coughing, hacking, shortness of breath, etc.

She returned to work and so did I. Tuesday last week around 1530 i started sneezing and just had an overall feeling of not feeling well. Got tested…it was positive. Tuesday thru Thursday I had what I want to call was a type of summer cold symptoms (headache, congestion, sore throat, and low grade fever). Friday came and I started feeling better…no more fever, slight congestion, minor sore throat. Saturday no more symptoms. I go back to work Monday.

I watched my wife struggle to breathe walking to the bathroom, take a shower, and even eat. We almost went to the hospital a few times. She weathered the virus but it was a lonnnngggg two weeks. I will take a 3-day head cold over two weeks of hell any day. Glad I got the vaccine…and I will be getting the booster when available.
    One of my coworkers felt like crap for a week. Though he was just run down from working 12hr days. Not only tested positive but also double pneumonia. Came home, took a nap and went to run 5 miles. Then another 5 the next day and another the next day. Said screw it. Took a few days and was back to normal. I know a whole lot of people who got sick. Almost triple digits. From little kids to seniors. Some had recent chemo. The only death was a friend of a friend in another country. 4 hospitalizations none serious. Not one vaccination at the time of infection

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    For immune compromised folks getting the third dose, are pharmacies requiring a doctor's script?

There seems to be a dearth of information about how to get a third dose for immune compromised individuals. I have a relative who fits squarely into the category and, in between chemo, it seems like a good idea for her to get that third dose. I suppose it's something to nag the doctor about.

It sounds to me that anecdotally, particularly in Israel, that the breakthrough hospitalizations are immune compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    For immune compromised folks getting the third dose, are pharmacies requiring a doctor's script?

There seems to be a dearth of information about how to get a third dose for immune compromised individuals. I have a relative who fits squarely into the category and, in between chemo, it seems like a good idea for her to get that third dose. I suppose it's something to nag the doctor about.

It sounds to me that anecdotally, particularly in Israel, that the breakthrough hospitalizations are immune compromised.
    My ex just took her two immunocompromised kids in today for boosters, and all they asked was the DX - no order needed.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Third dose update: it is now 31 hours since I got my third dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Late last night I started to feel much worse with a killer headache and woke up with a killer headache and general body soreness. I took a Tylenol 5 with Codeine. As the day went on much of my body felt sore like a stubbed toe. I went back to bed to take a nap and woke up so sore that I did not want to move and just stayed in bed for an hour. I finally got out of bed, took another Tylenol 5 with Codeine. Eventually I felt better to the point where I could sit at a computer and walk around my place with minimum pain. I feel really worn out. I would rate the third dose as making me feel worse than the first dose but not quite as bad as the second dose. We'll see how things progress. I am hoping that the worst is behind me. But I will keep the thread updated since I am an early adopter of the third dose. If this is what the vaccine makes me feel like, I can't imagine what full blown Covid-19 would be like for me. Thus I am very glad to have received the third dose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If they end up giving a 4th shot as a booster, you've got an open spot on your new card. My "friend" told me that if you get shot #3 in one arm, and flu vax in the other, it's no big deal.
    I don't doubt that we will need booster doses in the future or that they will have improved vaccines optimized to deal with new variants. When I registered on the website with this as my *first* dose, it required me to make an appointment to get a second dose in three weeks. This would really be my 4th dose. Obviously I am not planning to get what would be my 4th dose in three weeks. I don't want to be a test case.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-26-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I don't doubt that we will need booster doses in the future or that they will have improved vaccines optimized to deal with new variants. When I registered on the website with this as my *first* dose, it required me to make an appointment to get a second dose in three weeks. This would really be my 4th dose. Obviously I am not planning to get what would be my 4th dose in three weeks. I don't want to be a test case.
    Any feedback from the shot-giver when you handed them your shot card with 2 doses already recorded?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Any feedback from the shot-giver when you handed them your shot card with 2 doses already recorded?
    He went in as if it were his first shot.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post

For my mother we just stopped by the local grocery store pharmacy as a walk-in, handed the pharmacist her CDC card listing the two prior doses, and he asked if she had a compromised immune system or cardiopulmonary disease. A verbal "yes" was all he required, no documentation necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I registered to receive my *first shot of the Pfizer vaccine* at a different drugstore chain, treating it as though it was my first shot. I cover the whole thing in depth in this post https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1259669. To save you the trouble of reading the whole post, I went to my regular pharmacy with a copy of my original vaccine card that only had one vaccine listed and claimed I was there for my second dose. The pharmacist asked why I had waited so long to get the second dose and I told her that I had a bad reaction to first dose. The pharmacist looked it up on a computer that had county wide records which showed I had received two doses at a central location.

It is now almost 48 hours since I received my third dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Today I woke up with a sore body and bad headache and I took a tylenol 5/Vicodeine. I still feel a bit sore and weak, but much better than I did the second day.

I just want to say that we have some amazingly knowledgeable posters in this thread, including people with medical backgrounds and even some doctors, and I really appreciate the time and effort they put into it.

The US government is considering reducing the time between the second and third dose from the current 8 months down to five months.
    From: https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/27/polit...den/index.html

President Biden said: "The question raised is should it be shorter than eight months, should it be almost five months? That's being discussed. I spoke with Dr. Fauci this morning about that," Biden said, referring to Anthony Fauci, his chief medical adviser and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases."

User Tag List