Page 60 of 185 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

What are we likely in for with one shot?
    From what Ive seen from my unvaccinated friends. Anything from this is going to really suck for the next week to waking up the next day and going for a 5 mile run. No one hospitalized, no one had anything more than a bad flu.

Hell, my co worker's unvaccinated 83/85 year old grandparents got it. They locked themselves in the house afraid that if they told anyone they were sick that they would infect those who tried to come over. They drank tea and took flu meds to knock down the fever. My coworker said it lasted about a week and a half then they were fine. Towards the end of the week they were taken to the hospital as a precaution but after testing released back home

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4RNR; 09-09-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    There has been discussion of whether wearing masks will interfere with children's language development. So I reached out to a friend who is a psycholinguist who studies language acquisition in the very young. She says that in that circle, there has been no uproar that such will occur. May there be long term studies, I imagine but just FYI, that specialty isn't worried now. Are folks who aren't SMEs bringing it up in their virus denial, I guess so.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    There has been discussion of whether wearing masks will interfere with children's language development. So I reached out to a friend who is a psycholinguist who studies language acquisition in the very young. She says that in that circle, there has been no uproar that such will occur. May there be long term studies, I imagine but just FYI, that specialty isn't worried now. Are folks who aren't SMEs bringing it up in their virus denial, I guess so.
    That's interesting. I imagine facial cues are important for child development?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    There's a theoretical point that speech perception is based on understanding motor facial cues. That theory is debatable for some techy reasons. So it is not unreasonable to suggest an impact. However, by the time kids get to school, you have fairly intensive learning from parents and other close care givers and pretty good language development. If not in a day care for the very young, I wonder if parents of infants and toddlers wear masks at home. I don't know.

Visually impaired children (if not with associated cognitive deficits) do learn language well. They don't have access to body language paralinguistic cues but with physical interaction and some more attention, they don't have deficient language skills.

A great deal of emotional and social info comes from body posture and the eyes, so it isn't that all cues are gone.

The speech perception acquisition based on motor cues (if that theory is the dominant process) happens way before kindergarten although the language acquisition systems are still in play with diminishing power until about 12.

If you are interested in the processes I'm talking about, look at the McGurk effect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

I wouldn't worry about it, I'd worry more about the illness and maintain rich interactions with kids. If we could get all the teachers to get vaccinated and the FDA to approve a kid vaccine, we could avoid this. About 30% of teachers seem resistant to jabs in some areas due to the crackpot psychology we are seeing. The pediatrician's organization has come out for rolling out the kid vaccine now. The FDA seems a fucked up bureaucracy for a crisis. They remind of a sergeant in a war movie who won't unlock the ammo locker at Pearl Harbor without a form. Same principle as some idiot who didn't want to refuel Air Force One during 9/11 at the base because that fuel was only for 'war'.

As I said in another thread, we had an ER ambulance emergency a few days ago, I would have been mighty annoyed in my loved one didn't get taken in because of a vaccine denying idiot. Ok, rant off.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If it were me, and I had only the J&J vaccine, I would do whatever it takes to get a mRNA vaccine ASAP.
    I've just got J&J, and asked my doc. He recommended not to get another one, despite me wanting to. I dunno. I'm fortunate that I don't interact with the public much and am in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The pediatrician's organization has come out for rolling out the kid vaccine now.

I had thought that the risks of vaccine outweighed the risks of kids having adverse effects from COVID. Has newer data come out to make them shift this belief? I only ask because I've seen various medical orgs take stances on other topics which are clearly based on beliefs or politics.

For what its worth, the UK advises against vaccinating healthy children under age 16:

Children aged 12 to 15 years old with underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk of severe COVID-19 should be offered COVID-19 vaccination. The range of underlying health conditions that apply has recently been expanded.

For otherwise healthy 12 to 15 year old children, their risk of severe COVID-19 disease is small and therefore the potential for benefit from COVID-19 vaccination is also small. The JCVI’s view is that overall, the health benefits from COVID-19 vaccination to healthy children aged 12 to 15 years are marginally greater than the potential harms.

Taking a precautionary approach, this margin of benefit is considered too small to support universal COVID-19 vaccination for this age group at this time. The committee will continue to review safety data as they emerge.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/j...-aged-12-to-15
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 09-09-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Anybody following this guy?

https://www.geertvandenbossche.org/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Today the American Board of internal medicine, American Board of Family Practice, and the American Board of Pediatrics issued a joint statement in support of a statement recently put out by the Federation of State Medical boards.

It states that doctors who knowingly spread misinformation about the covid vaccine risk having their licenses suspended or revoked.

https://www.fsmb.org/advocacy/news-r...cense-at-risk/

Snippet:

CMS to Require COVID-19 Vaccinations for Workers in ‘Most Health Care Settings’ — Including Home Health Care
    By Robert Holly | September 9, 2021

Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Send email
    President Joe Biden unveiled a new six-pronged national COVID-19 strategy on Thursday, including stronger requirements around vaccinations for U.S. workers.

Home health agencies were among the health care organizations explicitly mentioned in the plan. Along with either requiring or
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List