Page 93 of 185 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Medcram had an interesting discussion of the recent study that investigated heterologous boosters.

— Michael

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by elsquid View Post
    Medcram had an interesting discussion of the recent study that investigated heterologous boosters.

— Michael
    Thanks!! Good stuff....

My read... get either mRNA booster, regardless of what initial vax you had.
    I am not a medical professional. Just some guy on the internet. YMMV.

ETA: Looks like the best combination in this data set was initial vax Phizer with Moderna boost. Although, day 29 Phizer/Phizer data may say otherwise when published. Interesting.

Name:  Boost.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  87.5 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Thoughts on administering COVID vaccines to children? My son has been in school since October, and the elementary school has had less than five coronavirus infections in the last 12 months (the high school probably had 15-20 during the same period), and none associated with the school. All were infected off campus. I feel like his risk of contracting the infection is low.

I’m hesitant to give my kid the vaccination, especially when I see the death rates so low (143 according to the Pfizer paper in mid-october 2021). Is protection for an 8yo worth any unforeseen problems with the vax?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Thoughts on administering COVID vaccines to children? My son has been in school since October, and the elementary school has had less than five coronavirus infections in the last 12 months (the high school probably had 15-20 during the same period), and none associated with the school. All were infected off campus. I feel like his risk of contracting the infection is low.

I’m hesitant to give my kid the vaccination, especially when I see the death rates so low (143 according to the Pfizer paper in mid-october 2021). Is protection for an 8yo worth any unforeseen problems with the vax?
    Given he is a male in an area with very low rates of covid transmission, I (someone who has had 3 doses of pfizer) would wait a bit longer for more data to trickle in than is currently available from one ~1500 patient study. He would seem to fall under the FDA's third scenario estimate, in which case the vaccine might have a larger risk of hospitalization than covid19:
    Name:  Screenshot_20211102-225015.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  44.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    FDA grants emergency approval for Pfizer for kids 5-11. Harvard professor Eric Rubin, one of the FDA panelists, said this: "We're never gonna learn about how safe the vaccine is until we start giving it. That's the way it goes."

Rubin starts at ~6:51 (quote is after 6:52).

The most current risk/benefit data: https://www.fda.gov/media/153507/download

The FDA came up with 6 scenarios based on various assumptions. Their default assumption show the vaccine's benefits outweigh the risks (though not by huge margins for boys):

https://ibb.co/9hXNGxS

Their 3rd scenario (using the lowest rates of covid transmission) shows higher risks of vaccine related myocarditis hospital & ICU stays - largely for boys, but even for girls too:
    https://ibb.co/x6mqc1t

The other 4 scenarios show the vaccine benefits outweigh the risks.

Name:  2EC57A4D-6732-4F01-84FE-781787FE33A9.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  34.0 KB

Since coronavirus kicked off. We’ve had less than 5000 hospitalizations for a population of 1.4 million. I would like to say we’re in the lowest transmission group. I would like to keep my boy in the “wait and see” group as long as possible, unless there’s a reason so compelling to step into the vaccination group

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post

The FDA advisory committee data released a week or so ago showed the Pfizer vaccine is very safe in kids. The only serious adverse event that occurred within 1 month of the 2nd dose happened in the placebo group (see below) which is very reassuring.

Though COVID is generally mild to asymptomatic in kids, I would personally opt to have my kids vaccinated based on the safety data below + the fact that there is the rare but very life threatening syndrome MIS-C that can develop in kinds with COVID-19. Last I saw it was something like ~3/10,000 cases of COVID infections <21 who develop MIS-C, so not common, but vaccine would be worth it to me.

Hammertime
    Moderna #3 kicked my ass. The way I am responding to this 1/2 dose tells me I probably didn't need it. Near instant arm inflammation, progressing to fevers and shaking chills that lasted from 12-16 hours post injection. Now almost 24 hours out I am starting to come out of it, but feel super inflamed, and slightly feverish with a killer headache.

Took and Advil and tylenol this morning and am waiting for that to kick in. Probably should have taken it last night but was too sleepy to get out of bed.

For reference I am 52yo, and basically the healthiest person I know. I never get sick. Moderna #2 was way back in January 2020. I never got Covid (that I know) despite many exposures.

I am gonna call myself good to go on this pandemic/immunization thing for at least a few years.

Pfizer press release about Paxlovid, a protease inhibitor antiviral. Very encouraging.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...ment-candidate
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Got my third Pfizer jab on Monday. Arm was a little sore for about 12 hours but I felt just fine otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    That's good to hear. My Moderna 2 was early March and my day after was not unlike yours except mine was more low grade headache that wouldn't go away, then fine the day after that. I just scheduled myself for Moderna 3 on Friday, Nov 6. I'm hoping the booster dose will be a little gentler but if I have a crappy or semi-crappy day after at least it will be on a Saturday.
    Had Moderna 3 booster dose yesterday morning, 8 months after #2. Nothing until late in the evening when, same as after #2, I became cold, which lasted until the morning. Arm became sore as hell last night and still is, but no biggie. Had slight headache when I woke up this morning but that went away after a few hours. Just feel semi-crappy today like I have a cold. If history is a guide, that will be gone tomorrow and I'll be back to normal.

User Tag List