Page 91 of 185 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I actually feel better than I did after shot #2, but still not great. The chills/fever seem to be over, at least, and have been replaced by a headache.

I didn’t have the racing heartbeat with the other shots, though. I just checked it again and my heart rate is down to 74bpm. Normal for me is upper 60’s.
    Glad to hear that.

I'm pretty sure that the missus and I are going to hold off for a while on Moderna #3. I'm just not convinced that it hasn't had some less than desired effects on me...though I have no way to authenticate that at this point.

Still, I wouldn't want Covid...no way, no how.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I actually feel better than I did after shot #2, but still not great. The chills/fever seem to be over, at least, and have been replaced by a headache.

I didn’t have the racing heartbeat with the other shots, though. I just checked it again and my heart rate is down to 74bpm. Normal for me is upper 60’s.
    Glad to hear, Moderna #2 for me also had an elevated heart rate and a massive headache for about 36ish hours. I also forgot how to count while cleaning baby bottles...

The wife and I are going to wait for round three until the in-laws can come over for a weekend and provide some baby back-up.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Got the Pfizer booster yesterday. Not one to miss an opportunity to fuck with dad, my 17 month old didn't let me sleep for shit last night. I don't know how much is from the shot, or needing more sleep, or being prone to headaches, but today has been much worse than after the first two shots.

Still rocking natural immunity with zero side affects.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

I found that the natural booster was a bigger pain and had more & longer lasting side effects than the vaccine myself.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    So, if I post "why don't he write?"...how long should I wait?

I'm a bit reluctant to get the booster myself...for reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.
    If you don't see me proselytizing about Jiu Jitsu, commenting on 1911 threads or getting into fights in the COVID politics threads in the next month it's probably safe to assume I'm ded.

Nah but tbh most folks who got a mRNA vaccine still seem to be doing alright at my job. Some still get admitted but they do orders of magnitude better than the ones who aren't vaxxed at all.

Hell I've had married couples who made opposite choices (one gets vaxxed the other doesn't) and I found myself explaining to the vaccinated one, why the unvaccinated one is gonna get intubated tonight.

The booster is up to you tho...tbh most of the vaxxed COVID patients I see do significantly better even if they don't have a booster.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I'll let a few of you others go first -- the second M shot kicked my ass in April, and lingered for a while. But I like the idea of a smaller dose.

Speaking of waning effectiveness, this non-peer reviewed study of VA patients was interesting (J&J yikes!):

Specifically, in March, protection against infection was: 88% (95% CI, 87% to 89%) for Janssen; 92% (95% CI, 92% to 93%) for Moderna; and 91% (95% CI, 91% to 92%) for Pfizer-BioNTech. By August, protection against infection had declined to: 3% (95% CI, -7% to 12%) for Janssen; 64% (95% CI, 62%-66%) for Moderna; and 50% (95% CI, 47% to 52%) for Pfizer-BioNTech.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...66v1.full-text

Maybe Pangloss and Neph and others have some thoughts on it.
    Yes, someone in the know, please translate!

I don't understand what the info in parentheses means, but is this really saying that 5 months after a J&J shot, you're basically no longer protected? I thought the J&J vaccination was supposed to last longer even though it's not as effective.

I've only had one J&J vaccination (over six months ago), and this looks like the worst data I've seen about J&J.

I'm thinking about a Moderna booster, but I want to make an educated decision. Thanks!
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If you don't see me proselytizing about Jiu Jitsu, commenting on 1911 threads or getting into fights in the COVID politics threads in the next month it's probably safe to assume I'm ded.

Nah but tbh most folks who got a mRNA vaccine still seem to be doing alright at my job. Some still get admitted but they do orders of magnitude better than the ones who aren't vaxxed at all.

Hell I've had married couples who made opposite choices (one gets vaxxed the other doesn't) and I found myself explaining to the vaccinated one, why the unvaccinated one is gonna get intubated tonight.

The booster is up to you tho...tbh most of the vaxxed COVID patients I see do significantly better even if they don't have a booster.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    The VA MICU was eye opening, had an otherwise healthy 60 y/o die on my last day of service. Shitty disease. A lot of survivors with persistent O2 requirements too

FDA grants emergency approval for Pfizer for kids 5-11. Harvard professor Eric Rubin, one of the FDA panelists, said this: "We're never gonna learn about how safe the vaccine is until we start giving it. That's the way it goes."

Rubin starts at ~6:51 (quote is after 6:52).

The most current risk/benefit data: https://www.fda.gov/media/153507/download

The FDA came up with 6 scenarios based on various assumptions. Their default assumption show the vaccine's benefits outweigh the risks (though not by huge margins for boys):

https://ibb.co/9hXNGxS

Their 3rd scenario (using the lowest rates of covid transmission) shows higher risks of vaccine related myocarditis hospital & ICU stays - largely for boys, but even for girls too:
    https://ibb.co/x6mqc1t

The other 4 scenarios show the vaccine benefits outweigh the risks.

Site Supporter
    Taking IdahoJess out of the quote below intentionally to avoid pinging him again...
    I'll let a few of you others go first -- the second M shot kicked my ass in April, and lingered for a while. But I like the idea of a smaller dose.

Speaking of waning effectiveness, this non-peer reviewed study of VA patients was interesting (J&J yikes!):

Specifically, in March, protection against infection was: 88% (95% CI, 87% to 89%) for Janssen; 92% (95% CI, 92% to 93%) for Moderna; and 91% (95% CI, 91% to 92%) for Pfizer-BioNTech. By August, protection against infection had declined to: 3% (95% CI, -7% to 12%) for Janssen; 64% (95% CI, 62%-66%) for Moderna; and 50% (95% CI, 47% to 52%) for Pfizer-BioNTech.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...66v1.full-text

Maybe Pangloss and Neph and others have some thoughts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by uechibear View Post
    Yes, someone in the know, please translate!

I don't understand what the info in parentheses means, but is this really saying that 5 months after a J&J shot, you're basically no longer protected? I thought the J&J vaccination was supposed to last longer even though it's not as effective.

I've only had one J&J vaccination (over six months ago), and this looks like the worst data I've seen about J&J.

I'm thinking about a Moderna booster, but I want to make an educated decision. Thanks!
    I'll reference this piece and you can extrapolate the rest. Someone please correct me if I get something wrong...

88% (95% CI, 87% to 89%) for Janssen
    declined to: 3% (95% CI, -7% to 12%) for Janssen

First line says the vax provided 88% effectiveness for protection against infection in March. 95% Confidence Interval shows the protection level between 87% and 89% for the data set.

Second line is the same info with different results for August. 95% confidence interval showing between -7% and 12% with a mean of 3% effectiveness at preventing infection. Somebody with better stats knowledge will need to explain that -7%... My read is that it might mean that people who got Jansen were more likely to get COVID that people who got no vax.... but... my stats are rusty. Apologies.

ETA: PERSONAL OPINION.... I am not a medical professional of any kind....
    If my first vax was Janssen, I would have already gotten a full series of Moderna. Not the booster. A Janssen vax recipient, based on the data above, has, essentially, zero vaccine protection after 5 months. If I was starting from zero, I would certainly get Moderna, unless I had had COVID.

I am debating sending our son for Moderna booster. He had his second Phizer back in June. I feel like he's ok with the level of protection reported for Phizer, plus his youth and health, but, when it's open to him, I'll recommend he get a Moderna booster, unless I get some data that says otherwise before then.

Again... My OPINION only.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 10-29-2021 at 03:11 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List