Page 70 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    If the vaccine were 100% effective that would be correct. But it's not perfect - the vaccine greatly reduces but does not eliminate the chance you will contract Covid if exposed to someone with the virus. If you are vaccinated there is less chance you will be sick so less chance to expose others.
    So if you are vaccinated you have less chance of being sick. But if I am unvaccinated and give it to you the vaccine that you have is no longer working?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    So if you are vaccinated you have less chance of being sick. But if I am unvaccinated and give it to you the vaccine is no longer working?

I can't tell if you're trolling. The vaccine is effective but not 100% effective. That does not mean it "is no longer working." People get killed in car crashes even though they wear seatbelts, that does not mean seatbelts don't work.

I can't tell if you're trolling. The vaccine is effective but not 100% effective. That does not mean it "is no longer working." People get killed in car crashes even though they wear seatbelts, that does not mean seatbelts don't work.
    Legit question. I understand that vaccines aren't perfect but greatly protect the body to the point where most likely nothing happens but possibly of having cold or flu like symptoms exist. What I don't understand is how my none vaccination effects your vaccination. You have the protection even if imperfect. How do I make it worse for you if I'm unvaccinated.

You're vaccinated I'm not. I'm sick. You and I are sitting next to each other how do I make it deadlier for you?

Last edited by 4RNR; 09-16-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Legit question. I understand that. What I don't understand is how my none vaccination effects your vaccination. You have the protection even if imperfect. How do I make it worse for you if I'm unvaccinated.

You're vaccinated I'm not. I'm sick. You and I are sitting next to each other how do I make it deadlier for you?

If I am driving with my seatbelt, I am protected but not 100%. If someone crashes into me I am less likely to be hurt with the seatbelt than without. So if I am wearing a seatbelt why should I care if you drive safely or recklessly near me? If you drive safely, there is less chance of crashing into me. If you drive recklessly, there is more chance of crashing into me. My total risk is a combination of both of our actions.

I am vaccinated I am protected but not 100%, there is less chance but not 0% chance of me getting Covid if I am exposed to someone with the virus. If you are unvaccinated there is more chance you will contract the virus and expose me. My total risk is a combination of both of our actions.

I wish to be clear: I am offering what I see as the causal chain of thought. I could totally be wrong, and I am most certainly over and done arguing with anyone about this. If we were in real life, outside, drinking a beer and shooting the shit, this is what I would offer you in good faith, because I think I understand what you are thinking, and wish for you to understand what I am thinking:

1. You are more likely to put me in this position (sitting next to a sick person) by not being vaccinated.
    2. You likely shed more virii into the environment than a sick, but less sick vaccinated person. So, you are more likely to make me sick.
    3. Going along with 2, you are more likely to transmit the virus to more people in greater society. This increases the chances of me being sick in aggregate, even if my chances are less than yours.
    4. Going along with 3, this provides more opportunities/generations/life cycles for the virus to evolve and become more virulent, even against vaxxed folks.
    5. Also going along with 3, more people spreading more virii means more people in the hospitals. This makes it less likely I will get the same rapidity or quality of care if I am shot, get sick, break a leg, tear a tendon, etc.
    6. More people in hospitals means more strain on the already strained healthcare personnel. Meaning, you are making life harder for 4 of my close friends, and 3 of my family members. You are stressing them out more and giving them less time to be in my life.
    7. By allowing more opportunities for the virus to spread, you are increasing the chance that periodic waves of mutated COVID will hold our healthcare systems hostage for the foreseeable future. I wonder what that will do to present medical pros, their mental health, their career paths. I wonder what that will do to bright people considering careers in emergency medicine.
    8. Maybe not lastly, but I'll end here: you are feeding yet another phenomenon that parties both within and without the USA have used to accelerate the chaos and divide within our country that will quite likely lead to the end of it, or at least the decline of it.

If I am driving with my seatbelt, I am protected but not 100%. If someone crashes into me I am less likely to be hurt with the seatbelt than without. So if I am wearing a seatbelt why should I care if you drive safely or recklessly near me? If you drive safely, there is less chance of crashing into me. If you drive recklessly, there is more chance of crashing into me. My total risk is a combination of both of our actions.

I am vaccinated I am protected but not 100%, there is less chance but not 0% chance of me getting Covid if I am exposed to someone with the virus. If you are unvaccinated there is more chance you will contract the virus and expose me. My total risk is a combination of both of our actions.
    There is also a higher likelihood of the unvaccinated person landing in the ICU and preventing others from getting treatment for non-COVID causes.

You would increase the odds of me getting a breakthrough infection which would increase the odds of me dying. By my rough calculations, you would shorten my life expectancy by about 2 days (it would be safer for you to shoot a handgun bullet into the air above us...)

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    I know a lot of people who have gotten sick in the last year. Between co workers, friends and their families and my parents friends I know probably close to 50 people if not more. Ages between little kids to grandparents. Most in the mid 40-65 range. Several were on chemo while sick. All in all 5 hospitalized, one for panic, 2 only overnight and 2 for a week. All those were over 70 one was on chemo. Everyone else just road it out at home
    This is the good ol' "but I know a guy..." argument. The fact is that 1 in 500 Americans has died from COVID in the past year and a half. I'm glad those in your circle didn't share that fate. Be thankful for that.

I get it dude, you're having headaches, and you believe they're related to your getting the vaccine. Maybe that is actually the case. But that does not suddenly invalidate the endeavor of vaccination. Sorry.

Legit question.
    Is it, though?

@Joe S graciously explained it, and outlined it once again.

But, at a certain point, I start to get the hunch that you haven't actually made the minimal effort of reading through same thread that you're posting in, despite it having a ton of useful answers to practically all the questions that you're asking. Answers that have often come from medical professionals, some of whom actually work in vaccine research.

Maybe it's not trolling and it's just laziness, but I suspect you'll only be satisfied from hearing some affirmations and other answers that you want to hear.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce; 09-16-2021 at 10:24 PM.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Friday news dump:

An FDA advisory panel voted 18-0 to recommend Pfizer boosters for those 65+ and those with high risk or occupational exposure. If the FDA follows the panel's recommendation, qualifying patients could get a booster 6 months after their 2nd shot.

The same panel voted 2-16 - i.e. against - recommending boosters for the general population citing concerns a third dose might cause additional instances of myocarditis in those under 18. They wanted more data than was available at this time from the 300-person Pfizer booster trial or 3-million person Israel booster report.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 09-17-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    This is the good ol' "but I know a guy..." argument. The fact is that 1 in 500 Americans has died from COVID in the past year and a half. I'm glad those in your circle didn't share that fate. Be thankful for that.

I get it dude, you're having headaches, and you believe they're related to your getting the vaccine. Maybe that is actually the case. But that does not suddenly invalidate the endeavor of vaccination. Sorry.

Is it, though?

@Joe S graciously explained it, and outlined it once again.

But, at a certain point, I start to get the hunch that you haven't actually made the minimal effort of reading through same thread that you're posting in, despite it having a ton of useful answers to practically all the questions that you're asking. Answers that have often come from medical professionals, some of whom actually work in vaccine research.

Maybe it's not trolling and it's just laziness, but I suspect you'll only be satisfied from hearing some affirmations and other answers that you want to hear.

On all counts. Couldn't be said better by anyone.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List