Page 87 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    SIDE NOTE:
    all the politics surrounding covid numbers and info make me want to puke. Watching TV and the reporters talk about how Covid numbers in Texas are spiking because republicans wont take the vaccine...

Well, after a 45 day trip to the border, I saw NONE of the aliens in custody being tested unless they complained of symptoms. The BP station I was at was relatively at low capacity, as we were only about 300% capacity. Some stations were operating at 700% capacity. We are talking aliens stacked in every corner, every cell, every sally port. And most every one was released to the street, un tested, un vaxed. If we pulled 10 that had symptoms out of the cells, and 8 of them were positive, the other 47 people in the 20 person cell were all exposed, but we just released them all to the street without testing. So our numbers spiked in Texas... that is true. But I don't think it was the republicans refusing the shot causing the major spike. It was the 67,000 that were released the street in one month, that had to have major infection rates once they were released.

Then I got sent to the Del Rio Bridge-O-Haitians for a week. Its crazy how the media is manipulating the stories.

(If this was off topic for the thread, I apologize. feel free to move it, or remove it. I did not read all the prior posts. Just venting this afternoon. Glad to pop back on)
    Yeah, my wife worked in public health for a long time. Lots of the urban poor were her patients (not exactly a Republican hotbed), and itcwas a small occasion when one of them had the "vaccinated" box checked on the survey. I think there's a socioeconomic divide on who decides to get a vaccine, but its not a straight line, it might be multiple lines, and it isn't always a straight red/blue divide.

Quote Originally Posted by Risto View Post
    I just popped positive on the binaxnow home test.

Have been feeling fatigue since Thursday night. Today woke up with headache, congestion, very noticeable joint and body ache, mild diarrhea, and sore throat. No temperature.

I was vaccinated with Pfizer in March (both doses). I Honestly did not expect to feel this sick when I eventually got exposed.

Anyhow I’m upping my vitamins and etc:
    -36mg of prescription ivermectin (5days)
    -5000 IU vitD
    -325mg aspirin
    -1000mg vitC
    -Melatonin
    -500 mg quercetin
    -1000 mg zinc

Hoping for the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mostly have what feels like a bad sinus infection now. Major pressure and pain in sinuses as well as eyes and left ear. Minor blood in nasal mucus (I have been saline flushing). Body feels much better but I’ve lost 6-7 lbs.

Smell and taste are completely gone (which is a super strange experience actually). Diminished appetite obviously.

So thankful this didn’t get into my lungs.

Really hoping I don’t get the 2nd round effect Gadfly mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    If that's an average day for you...
    It wasn't. I misread a trail map...
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    FDA panel endorses Moderna’s COVID-19 booster vaccine for certain high risk groups

The recommendation is not final and will go before the FDA to issue a decision

Immune response vs antibody levels... ?
    I understand how antibody levels are measured. Google says IR is measured via culture (ex vivo) via something called an immune functional assay...

Interpreting the below excerpt, I'm led to believe that the Moderna booster increases antibody levels substantially, but because the initial regimen of 2 doses is so effective by itself, the immune response as measured by assay is increased far less than the antibody levels. Hence, the first 2 shots of Moderna are pretty darn good? But, a half-dose booster will help fight Delta breakthrough by pumping up antibodies.

What did I miss?

Dr. Jacqueline Miller, infectious diseases therapeutic area head at Moderna, presented company findings among some 344 participants indicating the booster shot failed to meet FDA criteria by a narrow margin; the shot didn’t result in a four-fold increased immune response, likely due to high protection afforded from the primary series, though recipients still benefited from the shot. More specifically, Moderna officials explained that participants’ immune systems were likely impacted by the presence of pre-existing antibodies.

The booster did result in a 42-fold increase in antibody levels against the highly transmissible delta variant, with mostly mild-to-moderate side effects. The most common side effects included injection site pain, headache, fatigue and myalgia. Miller concluded the 50 microgram booster dose could address waning antibody levels and reduce breakthrough infections tied to the delta variant.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

https://web.archive.org/web/20211008...-demographers/

Snippet:

You can see for yourself the excess mortality for much of the EU here. Few people realize that in 2021 we have had as much excess mortality, as we did in 2020. The difference is that the age profile has shifted: Whereas most of the excess mortality was in elderly people in 2020, in 2021 it’s increasingly showing up among younger people. The excess mortality has a peculiar characteristic, in that it starts showing up later in younger age groups, with the exception of children, in whom no excess mortality is observed.

For the 29 participating countries as a whole, we have 4000 excess deaths among people aged 15-44. These deaths are hard to explain, because young people normally don’t die from COVID-19. Just 0.9% of COVID-19 deaths in the Netherlands are people under the age of fifty. The curve of excess mortality in this age category also doesn’t fit COVID-19. This is a seasonal virus that disappear in the summer, but the excess deaths among young people mainly show up during the summer.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

FDA Delays Moderna Covid-19 Vaccine for Adolescents to Review Rare Myocarditis Side Effect

Agency holds off decision on expanding use of shot to 12-to-17-year-olds while it looks into risk of rare heart condition

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-del...ct-11634315159

Site Supporter
    Would be interested in more information on this... Is it better to get a different booster from your original?

-- For J&J, the answer seems to be a clear yes, but, obviously if your original reason was an objection to mRNA, you still have that issue with the other options.
    -- For the 2 mRNA's, does exposure to the alternate mRNA vaccine give you a wider range of antibodies?
    -- Or, is it better to get the Moderna shot regardless, due to it's greater efficacy against Delta?

Mixing covid vaccines? What you need to know about mix-and-match booster shots.

Under the decision from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director Rochelle Walensky, eligible people can get any of the three available booster doses, regardless of which shot they received first. The Food and Drug Administration authorized the additional shots Wednesday.

<snip>

Any booster shot, even if it is the same as your first vaccine, will increase the number of antibodies that can fight the coronavirus. But, in some cases, mixing vaccines may offer better protection, experts say. Early data has shown that following up a first dose of Johnson & Johnson with an mRNA vaccine — Moderna or Pfizer — provided significantly higher levels of neutralizing antibodies.

<snip>

For people who received either Moderna or Pfizer, experts say it is both safe and effective to stick to the same vaccine.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

-- For J&J, the answer seems to be a clear yes, but, obviously if your original reason was an objection to mRNA, you still have that issue with the other options.
    I'm not your to date on the vaccine debate right now. What's the objection to mRNA?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I'm not your to date on the vaccine debate right now. What's the objection to mRNA?
    New technology. Concerns range from myocarditis, blood clots, to genetic to fertility to unknown long term effects, etc. Lots of stuff discussed in the original thread.

I'm not worried about any of that but we have a number of members who have expressed concerns. I didn't intend to spark up that discussion again here. Just wanted to acknowledge that it exists.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    New technology. Concerns range from myocarditis, blood clots, to genetic to fertility to unknown long term effects, etc. Lots of stuff discussed in the original thread.

I'm not worried about any of that but we have a number of members who have expressed concerns. I didn't intend to spark up that discussion again here. Just wanted to acknowledge that it exists.
    Sorry, wasn't trying to start anything either. Thanks for the info.

User Tag List