Page 72 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    If the vaccine were 100% effective that would be correct. But it's not perfect - the vaccine greatly reduces but does not eliminate the chance you will contract Covid if exposed to someone with the virus. If you are vaccinated there is less chance you will be sick so less chance to expose others.
    But if they’re vaccinated or a child they are extraordinarily unlikely to suffer greatly from it. Being vaccinated makes covid other people’s problem.

I think there’s a fantasy that we can eliminate covid if enough people get vaccinated, or if we shut down the vectors. I think that comes from overestimating the control we have over nature.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Basically, what they said was "we don't have any idea what boosters will do besides Ig levels increase, but booster risks appear low enough, Ig levels seem to be a good surrogate for protection, so we might as well do it for higher risk groups".

To me setting up the age cutoff at 65 is rather inconsistent. We all know about magnitude of covid impact on middle-aged group where myocarditis incidence is very low. So them unwilling to extend boosters down to 40-45 (or even 60 based on that Qatari data) raises a question if they are really concerned about side effects or skeptical of clinical or epidemiologic benefits. My guess would be the latter.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I guess the missus and I will have to give this third shot some thought. I'm not against it if it's demonstrably good medical science...but I'm not sure we are there yet.

Or are we?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I guess the missus and I will have to give this third shot some thought. I'm not against it if it's demonstrably good medical science...but I'm not sure we are there yet.

Or are we?
    Do you & missus have Pfizer or Moderna?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    But if they’re vaccinated or a child they are extraordinarily unlikely to suffer greatly from it. Being vaccinated makes covid other people’s problem.

I think there’s a fantasy that we can eliminate covid if enough people get vaccinated, or if we shut down the vectors. I think that comes from overestimating the control we have over nature.
    I don't have any fantasy of eliminating the virus and I don't think I or anyone in this thread claimed that. The goal is to reduce the impact as much as possible. The more people who get vaccinated, the fewer cases, and the less transmission. Not eliminated, but less.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Do you & missus have Pfizer or Moderna?
    Moderna...both of us x 2
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Moderna...both of us x 2
    Moderna and Pfizer are different recommendations. Evidently, part of what made Moderna's side effects more prominent/common was the higher dosage of the formulation. All to say, I wouldn't worry about it. If something changes with regard to the idea of a Moderna booster, I'm sure you'll hear about it here.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Covid vaccines appear likely to temporarily alter menstrual cycles in some women. So far it seems most likely that the immune reaction causes a delayed and/or heavy period, but the NIH is investing ~$2 million study the issue further. It has not caused any changes in fertility rates and has been observed in all the vaccine brands.

Similar temporary changes have been noted after the HPV vaccine.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 09-20-2021 at 12:54 AM.

First results in from trials using lower dose for children under 12:
    —————
    The first results from the highly anticipated trial studying the effectiveness and safety of the Pfizer and BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children under 12 showed promising results.

The pharmaceutical companies said early results of their trial indicate the vaccine is safe for children and establishes a strong antibody response against the virus.

Giving a two-dose regimen of 10 μg (micrograms) administered 21 days apart for children between the ages of 5 and 11 years old was well tolerated, according to Pfizer and BioNTech. Side effects were also generally comparable to those of people between the ages of 16 and 25 years old who received the vaccine.

This trial used a smaller vaccine dosage, 10 micrograms, rather than the 30 microgram dose used for people 12 and older. The dosage was selected as the preferred dose for safety and effectiveness in young children.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...e-and-effectiv

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I think it is reasonable to be skeptical of the latest and greatest medical advances. 32% of new drugs wind up with additional warnings or are outright pulled from the market within 10 years of FDA approval (median time: 4 years).
    Speaking of, Pfizer just expanded its recall to all lots of its smoking cessation drug Chantrix due to the presence of trace amounts of nitrosamines (exposure to which can cause cancer).

So that leaves immune reactions, most of which happen on the short-term as pangloss covered. I mean if I use my wildest imagination I can suppose a scenario in which some otherwise benign substance/organism has a structure with some feature similar to the covid19 spike protein. Supposing you were exposed to a lot of this substance, you might have a severe allergic reaction.

But then again, the vaccine's potency declines relatively rapidly so you'd probably need to be exposed to this as-yet-unknown stuff within 6 months of your last vaccination. This makes it much less likely to be something naturally occurring and more likely something like a biological weapon. But why bother developing this particular bio weapon when there are plenty of existing ones that could accomplish the same results?
    I was mulling this over on my weekly long run and now I don't think I would discount it quite as much... The vast majority of Israelis have had at least 2 doses of Pfizer, but its enemies/neighbors - like Iran - don't really use PFizer to any significant extent... That would certainly create a motivation to create such a biological weapon, though successful development is probably still extraordinarily unlikely.

User Tag List