Page 105 of 185 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1845

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Moderna booster increases antibodies against Omicron into the "probably effective" range, but still considerably lower than against other variants. Note: logarithmic scales minimize the scope of the actual differences in antibody levels...

Can you add the citation to these data?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Can you add the citation to these data?
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....15.21267805v1

Upon rereading it, I find it interesting that the timing of the booster appears to have made a substantial difference in antibody levels. Is this consistent with what you've been seeing @pangloss ?

The VRC lab tested serum samples from participantswho received a third dose at 9 months after the second dose, all under EUA(VRC200 protocol). The Duke lab tested serum samples from a clinical study (NIAID heterologous boost study DMID 21-0012) designed to assess a vaccine boost at least 4 months after primary EUA-dosed vaccine recipients.
    From eyeballing that chart it looks like a booster administered after 4 months (Duke) gives ~5x as many antibodies as a booster given at ~9 months (VRC)...
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 12-16-2021 at 01:09 AM.

....From eyeballing that chart it looks like a booster administered after 4 months (Duke) gives ~5x as many antibodies as a booster given at ~9 months (VRC)...
    Where's a time machine when you really need that tech? I'll be getting a booster anyway after what would be about 9 months.

Site Supporter
    Moderna booster increases antibodies against Omicron into the "probably effective" range, but still considerably lower than against other variants. Note: logarithmic scales minimize the scope of the actual differences in antibody levels...
    At this point, it appears that we should all resign ourselves to getting Omicron.
    Hopefully it is (and remains) as mild as the folks in SA have been describing it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    At this point, it appears that we should all resign ourselves to getting Omicron.
    Hopefully it is (and remains) as mild as the folks in SA have been describing it.
    A bunch of my UK coworkers have been coming down with Covid, though no idea if it's Omicron or not. None have been hospitalized and most have reported relatively mild symptoms. Few are out of work for more than a couple days (we mostly work from home, so it's safe). One person on a call today referenced her lack of taste (loss of taste/smell is NOT an Omicron symptom) due to her covid infection. Had she not said anything, I wouldn't have known she was sick.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I hope so.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

New cautions for the J&J vaccine:
    ——————-
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention accepted advice from a panel of experts to recommend the use of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines over the Johnson & Johnson jab, following growing concerns about rare blood clots.

The advisers said Thursday that vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna should be preferred by all adults, who may be at greater risk for developing severe blood clots from the J&J vaccine than those under age 18. Some committee members said the J&J vaccine should remain available for people who prefer it.

The recommendation was prompted by the occurrence of a rare and sometimes fatal blood-clotting problem called thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS). Earlier reports of the issue addressed cases of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST), a type of TTS.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-covid-vaccine

Site Supporter
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....15.21267805v1

Upon rereading it, I find it interesting that the timing of the booster appears to have made a substantial difference in antibody levels. Is this consistent with what you've been seeing @pangloss ?

From eyeballing that chart it looks like a booster administered after 4 months (Duke) gives ~5x as many antibodies as a booster given at ~9 months (VRC)...
    I don't have any data on timing of the boost or any Omicron responses. The differences in titers against the variants is in the range of what I would expect, or actually a bit worse. If you'd asked me to make a prediction, I would have said greater than 90% drop, which looks to have been a bit optimistic.

I'm not sure what to make of the timing issue. I would not have expected that short a time span to have that much of an effect. The standard in a lot of immunology is to immunize animals and then measure antibodies and/or challenge the animals after two weeks. Those sorts of experiments, by design or neglect, are designed to make the vaccine appear as successful as possible. From a basic science perspective (or maybe just my perspective), what happens to the B cell populations after ~2 weeks is not terribly well known. My depth in B cell biology is not nearly as deep as I'd like it to be, so maybe this is just a personal black box for me. However, the fact that titers were so much lower with a 9 month boost compared to a 4 month boost, means that a lot of the vaccine-specific B cells that were stimulated by the first & second doses of vaccine died between 4 and 9 months. I don't know what a "normal" decay curve for those cells is supposed to look like, but the slope that I infer from the serology is much steeper than I would have predicted. Also, I'm not sure anyone knows what that slope is supposed to look like because this is the first time we've been to this time point with this class of vaccine. Regardless, I'm a little out of my depth here, so I may be making a big deal out of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    A bunch of my UK coworkers have been coming down with Covid, though no idea if it's Omicron or not. None have been hospitalized and most have reported relatively mild symptoms. Few are out of work for more than a couple days (we mostly work from home, so it's safe). One person on a call today referenced her lack of taste (loss of taste/smell is NOT an Omicron symptom) due to her covid infection. Had she not said anything, I wouldn't have known she was sick.

Chris
    So you’re saying your UK co-workers claim that they usually have a sense of taste? Interesting.

Name:  4655A622-45D8-4D68-8FB3-9AC00989854C.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  488B5C58-8BF8-4143-BFE2-E74A6DD92869.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  50.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    So you’re saying your UK co-workers claim that they usually have a sense of taste? Interesting.

Name:  4655A622-45D8-4D68-8FB3-9AC00989854C.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  488B5C58-8BF8-4143-BFE2-E74A6DD92869.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  50.7 KB
    Name:  http _cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_190321132148-piemash-10199.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  36.0 KB

User Tag List