Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Nailed it, but my heels are higher.
    Behind your ears?

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I just wish the Powers that Be would just tell everyone what the vaccine is - a prophylactic against severe disease, not a preventative. That might actually make more sense to folks.
    I thought that message was pretty clear from the beginning. It's so politicized now, people aren't getting vaccinated because the wrong person said you should (or vice versa).

At this point, no one I know who doesn't HAVE TO get vax'd/boosted without being fired is even considering it. And this is in a county where one hospital ICU is at capacity, and the other is down to five beds. But you can't get past the "I'm going to get it anyway, why should I get the vaccine?" thought process.
    I got mine as soon as I was eligible, as did my wife and kids.

Chris

Back on topic, this whole "I'm vaccinated but still got Covid" theme is DIRECTLY related to bad messaging from the government. We were first told the vaccine would make us 98% (ish) immune from getting Covid. Then we were 70%ish immune from getting Delta. Now it doesn't prevent Delta or OMGicron, but it MIGHT keep us from getting very sick. Or it might be that OMGicron just isn't that bad. Or...

This isn't directed at you psalms, but I've heard several people make this claim about messaging and how the vax would make people almost immune from getting COVID. I don't know where they got that messaging, but I had always heard 90-95% protection from severe cases based on the data I looked at and the associated messaging around that. It's possible politicians or new were saying other stuff, but it was always clear from the data at the beginning it would never make people immune (maybe that's the messaging before vaccines were developed and trials had started?). I do think it was poor messaging around the vaccine that scientists categorized mild cases in such a way that as a layperson I would not necessarily consider mild. That said, the length of protection from COVID generally was never brought up in a significant way until summer 2021, and omnicron clearly doesn't align with the initial variants anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    This isn't directed at you psalms, but I've heard several people make this claim about messaging and how the vax would make people almost immune from getting COVID. I don't know where they got that messaging, but I had always heard 90-95% protection from severe cases based on the data I looked at and the associated messaging around that. It's possible politicians or new were saying other stuff, but it was always clear from the data at the beginning it would never make people immune (maybe that's the messaging before vaccines were developed and trials had started?).
    March 2021 "Pfizer's Vaccine 97% Effective at Preventing COVID-19 in Real-World Study"

A very recent pfizer vaccination was indeed 97% effective at preventing *symptomatic* infection against the wild type coronavirus circulating in March 2021. But you lose half of your antibodies every 75 days so it was never going to keep up that level of protection. And we had new variants come along for which the vaccine wasn't quite as effective (marginally so with delta, significantly so with omicron).

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    This isn't directed at you psalms, but I've heard several people make this claim about messaging and how the vax would make people almost immune from getting COVID. I don't know where they got that messaging, but I had always heard 90-95% protection from severe cases based on the data I looked at and the associated messaging around that. It's possible politicians or new were saying other stuff, but it was always clear from the data at the beginning it would never make people immune (maybe that's the messaging before vaccines were developed and trials had started?). I do think it was poor messaging around the vaccine that scientists categorized mild cases in such a way that as a layperson I would not necessarily consider mild. That said, the length of protection from COVID generally was never brought up in a significant way until summer 2021, and omnicron clearly doesn't align with the initial variants anyways.
    In the beginning they made it seem like it. At first I think it was 98% but even 90-95 sounds more like "hey nothing is 100% guaranteed"! Most people feel that 90-95 pretty much means they're good to go. It's the same thing from the other side. Less than 1% that get sick die but it's treated like it's at least 50%. There was a poll done in the summer about how deadly people thought covid was. I forget what the Republican percentage was because it wasn't relevant but majority of Democrats polled thought covid was 50/50 deadly. If you got it you had a 50% chance of survival.

Media, gov and social media pushing a narrative instead of honesty

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife and I have it now, so I will let you know how that works out. My wife has had symptoms (tested positive Tuesday) since New Years eve. Hasn't stopped her from hiking, shooting and flying every day, but she feels crappy. I came down with it Tuesday night, lost 5.5 pounds in those 36 hours since, but besides being tired, weak and a sore throat feel like I am now on the mend.

PS, the home test says you wait 15 minutes for a result, but her test went positive in 15 seconds or so.
    Quick update. My wife is about the same — still feels off, but it has never taken her down. I was basically in bed all Wednesday and Thursday, although I feel better today. Her symptoms are fatigue, some aches, sore neck and sore throat. She breathes just fine, no congestion in the nose. I was super tired, sweats, low fever, sore throat. No loss of smell, if anything it is like I have hyper smell. Lost just over six pounds, despite drinking throughout.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm at day 5. No fever after day 2. Slight fatigue, minor sinus congestion. Still caughing/expelling chest congestion. Feels like a good run would help me hack the remainder of it out.

Wife is at day 9. Still some sinus congestion but overall better.

7MO daughter had a fever for ~ 24 hrs, now has a runny nose on and off but is otherwise OK.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    You’ve had Covid multiple times?

Yep. Sometime early in ‘20 and this past September.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Felt like feces Dec 26 leaving work. I was off the next 3 1/2 days. Can't get rid of a cough so went to my GP. Was diagnosed 1-4. Doc suggested monoclonal antibody infusion and gave me a pamphlet with phone number. robot tells me that they are booked up for next 72 hours and so busy they are not accepting phone calls. Was told to send email. I did about 6 hours ago. Haven't heard back from them yet.
    Wife hasn't been to Dr, but has same symptoms. Lordy I miss coffee. I still make it, but it tastes like I just poured creamer into a cup of hot water. Basically we can detect sweet, salt, and grease. SIL gave us some homemade bread that we'd been toasting for breakfast. Butter and jelly and it was heaven. Last time we tired, it was like stuffing straw into our mouths.
    Interesting day at work. I've been going even through I don't feel that great. Coughing a lot, tired, and early winded. Several of the staff have asked me how I was doing and I'd say something like, "I'm going to make it."
    We got a couple of packages today that didn't weigh 10 lbs. together. I wasn't going to pile them on a cart, I mean the 90 lb. girl delivering them was carrying them in one hand. So I take off for the room on the other side of the building, boxes in hand.
    By the time I get there, I'm huffing like an old steam engine and leaning against the wall. There is rarely anybody in this part of the building, but the CNO happened to come through about that time. She asked if I was alright and I told her I was just a little winded. She wouldn't leave it at that and a "conversation" ensued. She eventually all but ordered me to sign in as a patient. I'm on Medicare and they don't accept Medicare, but she told to not worry about that, that they were going to take care of me.
    They X-rayed my chest to be sure I didn't have pneumonia, then gave me a steroid shot and an anti-biotic. Then dripped about a half gallon of some fluid that was full of vitamins. While I'm still in the room, I get a call from Sarge who tells me to go home.
    I've got sever med at the pharmacy.
    They also called and tried to light a fire under the infusion center, trying to be sure I got in.

@Bigguy,

You're a security officer at a hospital, right? Or did that change?

Don't try to tough it out with this stuff, even just for professional reasons alone. Think about the danger you're putting your colleagues in if you're responding to an assault on staff or combative patient and you can't carry your weight. It behooves us in these sorts of professions to take that stuff into consideration, regardless of whether we want to tough something out.

Not only could someone else get hurt, but you could hurt yourself as well.....up to and including placing your body under such distress that you die.

Hope you feel better, man, and it's good to hear the workplace is affirmative about taking care of you. The hospital system I used to work at automatically wrote off the remainder of anything that wasn't reimbursed by our insurance, and it was one of the reasons many of us stayed there regardless of the pay being slightly lower than the competing hospitals that wouldn't take care of employees.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List