Page 59 of 185 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    This data is all over the map.. Anchorage, AK hospitals, as of last week were 76% unvax'd, 24% vax'd for COVID hospitalizations. 18% of ICU beds were vax'd.
    For this data to be more meaningful, we should know the % of the total population that are vaccinated, and which vaccine was used. Here's how to do the math:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/l...-efficacy.html
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 09-08-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Third Pfizer is burning a hole in my left shoulder as we speak. People who smoked for forty years probably shouldn’t quibble about possible side effects from pharmaceuticals.

No smokes since June 4, which is probably more meaningful to my overall survivability.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Third Pfizer is burning a hole in my left shoulder as we speak. People who smoked for forty years probably shouldn’t quibble about possible side effects from pharmaceuticals.

No smokes since June 4, which is probably more meaningful to my overall survivability.
    Yep. 35 years with a few short breaks scattered in. Been tobacco free going on 2 years.

Overall health is fairly decent, could stand to lose some weight. 3rd Moderna going in my arm in about another long month to maybe three. Still analyzing.

I got the first Moderna on 08/24.

All three kids tested positive today.

Fit 13 y.o. daughter feeling pretty rough. 6 y.o. son congested and runny nose, 1 1/2 y.o. seems fine.

Wife has one Pfizer a couple weeks ago and feels like Hell.

I’m feeling like a have a strange headache and my neck feels swollen, but looks ok.

What are we likely in for with one shot?

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    For this data to be more meaningful, we should know the % of the total population that are vaccinated, and which vaccine was used. Here's how to do the math:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/13/l...-efficacy.html
    48% fully, 55% one shot. It is just interesting that a state with a low vaccination rate has such high break through infections compared to states with a higher vaccination rate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    48% fully, 55% one shot. It is just interesting that a state with a low vaccination rate has such high break through infections compared to states with a higher vaccination rate.
    Just a guess, but it seems like a low vaccination rate means the vaccinated people are getting getting exposed to more virus, leading to more breakthrough infections. That's a pretty broad view, though, and ignores specifics of a given state.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

Fit 13 y.o. daughter feeling pretty rough. 6 y.o. son congested and runny nose, 1 1/2 y.o. seems fine.

I’m feeling like a have a strange headache and my neck feels swollen, but looks ok.

I can't imagine the stress, but, as you know, your kids are, mathematically, fine. You and your wife are only a hair breadth away from them, statistically.

I don't know how you feel about "thoughts and prayers" but we'll be thinking about you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Just a guess, but it seems like a low vaccination rate means the vaccinated people are getting getting exposed to more virus, leading to more breakthrough infections. That's a pretty broad view, though, and ignores specifics of a given state.
    I don't think that's the case where I live in the Matsu Valley. There's a lot of skepticism towards most of the authority's conventional wisdom; plenty of unvaccinated people, most people walk around without masks, and a general sense of "the hell with it all, I'm living my life" attitude.

Then again, there's more space out here, so maybe there's more organic social distancing going on.

In the age of COVID, it's much more pleasant to live here in Palmer than further south in Anchorage, where the local policies and norms are much more soul crushing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

One shot two weeks ago is definitely better than no shot. My sister got sick about a week after her first dose and didn't have much problem with it.

Seems like the data are that you need the shot at least 6-7 days before symptoms to see any benefit, but I can't remember the source. I may have made it up because it takes about a week for the IgM response to get started. Regardless, even if that time period is correct, there's a great deal of variation from person to person, so you can't predict what'll happen beyond that you'll be better off than if you hadn't gotten that first dose.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

@M2CattleCo I am no doc or scientist. That said, I do have a pretty great memory for abstracts and figures, by profession. My memory is that shot one of either mRNA, plus 2 weeks is damn near 84 percent effective at preventing anything serious.

All that to say, hang in there. My sense is that you all will be fine. Damn glad for one dose, for sure.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List