Page 15 of 185 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

What’s the current thought on vaccine for young women who might want to have children in the future? I thought earlier on there were questions about the risks associated with pregnancy or conception.

COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    What’s the current thought on vaccine for young women who might want to have children in the future? I thought earlier on there were questions about the risks associated with pregnancy or conception.
    My read is: safer than Tdap and Flu vax. Pregnant: get vaccinated ASAP with an mRNA vaccine so baby receives antibodies.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Looking for medical advice on a gun forum is not the best of ideas.

Just sayin’.

I’d personally consult a (real) ObGyn (not online accredited) or a trusted Pediatrician.

Would you ask your wife’s box doctor what the best 9mm factory SD round is?

People need to stop viewing the world thru a damn soda straw.

......I’m out.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

After a bit of a wait, got AZ #2 this morning.
    There was also a bit of a line, which is a good thing.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    There's a user here @pangloss that works in a lab of some sort and measured his antibody levels regularly after his vaccination and reported them here, if you're curious about how that works and how long it takes and such.
    The vaccine encodes the mRNA for spike protein. The body makes the spike protein and then immune cells mount a response to the spike, i.e make antibodies that recognize spike.

I've looked at antibodies in maybe three dozen seriously sick people (about a third of whom died), quite a few people who were infected and had relatively mild illness, and about 200 vaccinated people. The ballpark number is that vaccinated people make about 8-10x as much antibody as people who are infected but not hospitalized. People that end up in the ICU make a lot more antibody than people who aren't hospitalized. We're bleeding people this week and last week who were vaccinated in December/January and bled in March. There's a really significant decline in antibody levels since March. At the same time, about 20% of COVID cases in the state are among vaccinated individuals. Very few of these people are critically ill. I really hope I'm wrong, but I'll be surprised if immunity from the vaccine lasts for much over a year. I can't imagine it lasting several years. We don't have an effective vaccine for any respiratory virus that has an infection limited to the mucosa, and we've known for decades that humans are subject to reinfection with respiratory viruses. (The flu vaccine is arguably and exception, but that's not a particularly good vaccine.)

Several things are happening at once that will keep the pandemic running for a while. The first is vaccine hesitancy among a significant portion of the population. These people will be fuel for the fire for months to come. The second are the changes in the virus. In and of itself, I don't think these changes are that immunologically significant, but my understanding is that the changes have increased the spike proteins affinity for the receptor, so it takes fewer viral particles to successfully infect an individual. Now overlay the decline in immunity among vaccinated people, and you can start to see how it ends. It ends with essentially everyone being infected at some point. Kids will be naturally infected and have mild illness. Adults who have been vaccinated will have mild illness. Unvaccinated people who survived one infection already will have mild illness. Unvaccinated people with first infections will show the same spectrum of disease that we've seen up to this point.

What I'm struggling with now is the concept of "correlate of protection." This term refers to which component of the immune response confers protection against challenge. For the vast majority of pathogens, antibodies are the correlate of protection. However, I think the term is couched too much in the mouse literature and the experiments that led us to use this term are so artificial that they have little relevance to human health. The concept is overly reductionist. This last point is just me complaining, but it's something that I'm thinking about a lot after seeing the antibody data from last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My read is: safer than Tdap and Flu vax. Pregnant: get vaccinated ASAP with an mRNA vaccine so baby receives antibodies.
    There's significantly more data on TDAP during pregnancy so I'm curious what you're basing that statement on.

COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    There's significantly more data on TDAP during pregnancy so I'm curious what you're basing that statement on.
    Agreed about data. However there is a significant body of empirical research and theoretical understanding that helps us make predictions.

I’m passing on info I received from a Covid researcher I know and respect.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I listened to Sam Harris's podcast about it. Long, but some really good info in it: https://samharris.org/podcasts/256-contagion-bad-ideas/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I listened to Sam Harris's podcast about it. Long, but some really good info in it: https://samharris.org/podcasts/256-contagion-bad-ideas/
    Same one from posts 104/105 in this thread but very good info.

User Tag List