Page 168 of 185 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1845

Thread: COVID-19 vaccines: medical concerns and recommendations

Site Supporter
    Mom (early 80's) tested positive 10 days ago after having symptoms for 4 days....
    Thankfully nothing more serious for her than a regular flu, with most symptoms now resolved other than some lingering tiredness and stomach issues that seem to be improving slowly.

Got tested yesterday (rapid PCR) and was still positive.

Given the age group of her retirement community, I've urged her to stay isolated for a few more days and test again, maybe Sunday or Monday.
    The Dr that administered the second test told mom it was ok for her to be out and about, but to wear a mask and keep her hands clean.

What's the consensus on waiting for a negative test before ending isolation? The internet is mixed. I'm in favor of erring on the side of caution, given the age of her community.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Mom (early 80's) tested positive 10 days ago after having symptoms for 4 days....
    Thankfully nothing more serious for her than a regular flu, with most symptoms now resolved other than some lingering tiredness and stomach issues that seem to be improving slowly.

Given the age group of her retirement community, I've urged her to stay isolated for a few more days and test again, maybe Sunday or Monday.
    The Dr that administered the second test told mom it was ok for her to be out and about, but to wear a mask and keep her hands clean.

What's the consensus on waiting for a negative test before ending isolation? The internet is mixed. I'm in favor of erring on the side of caution, given the age of her community.

My wife continued to test positive with no symptoms. So I don’t know.

Even after my Covid experience, I have changed my views little if any. Even with that, I would, and always would have, err on the side of caution, just like I would do with the flu or stomach bug. That would do much more than a mask and washed hands with covid. Unless there was some unique circumstance that would dictate other actions, I would wait.

That I believe is just common courtesy.

My two cents. Hope she continues to do well!

Site Supporter

I haven't followed this point closely in over a year, but early reports were that it was just about impossible to recover live virus from people ten days following onset of symptoms. If she's on Day 14 now, I think it'd be very unlikely that she could transmit the virus. Her doctor's recommendation sound appropriate to me. I expect that most of the people she will have contact with have been vaccinated, which is also something to keep in mind.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I haven't followed this point closely in over a year, but early reports were that it was just about impossible to recover live virus from people ten days following onset of symptoms. If she's on Day 14 now, I think it'd be very unlikely that she could transmit the virus. Her doctor's recommendation sound appropriate to me. I expect that most of the people she will have contact with have been vaccinated, which is also something to keep in mind.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    Same situation with a buddy of mine who came down with it over Christmas. He was still testing positive 2 weeks after no symptoms (except for loss of smell that took a couple months to fully recover).

Chris

Site Supporter
    Good news: Mom is on the mend. Sounds about 90% recovered with just some remaining stomach unease.

Bad news: Daughter tested positive yesterday after symptoms that started Monday. Wife and I spent the afternoon with her on Sunday.

We got our boosts in October. Looks like we'll be testing efficacy after 6 months.
    Interesting timing that CDC sent me a text message yesterday about 2nd boost eligibility.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Good news: Mom is on the mend. Sounds about 90% recovered with just some remaining stomach unease.

Bad news: Daughter tested positive yesterday after symptoms that started Monday. Wife and I spent the afternoon with her on Sunday.

We got our boosts in October. Looks like we'll be testing efficacy after 6 months.
    Interesting timing that CDC sent me a text message yesterday about 2nd boost eligibility.
    I hope your daughter was vaccinated. It's still around and lots of people testing positive. Very few being hospitalized though due to being vaccinated.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I hope your daughter was vaccinated. It's still around and lots of people testing positive. Very few being hospitalized though due to being vaccinated.
    Yes. Vaccinated. Her BF (live together) had COVID back in January and daughter didn't catch it (did not isolate).
    We'll see if he gets it again from her..... Hopefully not.

I could take a pass on these "Interesting times".

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Also because it's evolved to being more transmissible but less deadly/serious/strong

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I thought this was an interesting read. Still needs peer review....

Foreign research finds Pfizer, Moderna COVID vaccines don't reduce all-cause mortality

"Based on the RCTs with the longest possible follow-up," mRNA vaccines only protected against "fatal" COVID, while adenovirus-vector vaccines made with older technology, including Johnson & Johnson's, "were associated with lower overall mortality and lower non-accident, non-COVID-19 mortality," they wrote.
    Correlation </=> Causation .... ??

I thought this was an interesting read. Still needs peer review....

Foreign research finds Pfizer, Moderna COVID vaccines don't reduce all-cause mortality

Correlation </=> Causation .... ??
    Name:  six-crickets-featured-image-final-1280x720.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  32.1 KB

I guess we're doing war now.

User Tag List