Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I want to take QUALITY indoor pictures for Gunbroker items

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Obscure the last couple digits of any visible serial number.
    This is something I hear often, but never the reason for it. My most valuable piece will definitely have to show the entire number; that's where the value is. I often use S/N databases (Beretta's, for example) to verify that a gun is set up the way it originally came from the factory and to verify period authenticity...I'm much less likely to be interested in a pistol with a hidden S/N if there are others with visible ones in the same condition. And I'm not going to the trouble to ask for the number if there are others around in the same shape and same price range.

What's the reason for hiding it?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There are various shenanigans that a nefarious person could use a serial number for. It was discussed somewhere around here a few years ago. Also, Google uses text recognition on photos, so a photo of the gun can be found through a search for the serial number even if there is no text associated with it. In the general case, it's better to not have it be publicly displayed. In the special case that the serial number is special and part of the selling value, it would make sense to show it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Cardboard background + overcast day + iPhone = profit

lots of great suggestions, but I'll add that a $10 super-thin yoga mat (black or dark grey) will make exposure settings easier to nail down, even if it's done automatically in the camera/phone. Black gun on white backgrounds usually need post-processing, and I'm assuming you're not ready for that. It also blends out the shadows.

You can get away with draping the mat from the wall to the floor, automatically creating a "stand" to prop the gun on, a bed sheet for a diffuser and some extra hands to shine lamps and such for illumination, and to negate shadows. Don't use the flash setting in the cam/phone. bring enough light to the party so shoot without it

p.s. if the pieces arent rifle size. there are some portable lightboxes that work wonders
    Last edited by theJanitor; 07-19-2021 at 09:20 PM.

User Tag List