Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I was there '03-'04. One of the things I read was to the effect of "America's military is at war, and the rest of America is at the mall."

One thing stood out when I returned - when we got off the plane, there was a line of Vietnam veterans waiting to welcome us home. They had been ignored when they got back and were determined that it wasn't going to happen to us.
    Those vets were there for us, too. Even as early as fall 2001, I was never on a plane back stateside that wasn’t greeted by a bunch of vets, and they always handed me a long distance phone card or two and made sure I called my wife and my mom.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    They're not going to hold.
    If I had to lay a bet I’d bet you’re right. And we’ll be back in force to re-take ground.

And I’ve a fuckton of skin in the game.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Afghanistan will fall within two months is my guess. I have been out for 8 years, still feels like a knife in the stomach right now.

Despite a lot of good reasons for trying, a lot of good work by a lot of good people, the losses and injuries, and some good results, I seriously doubt there will be what most of us would consider to be a good outcome in Afghanistan.

I did not serve but admire and now sympathize with those who did.

I would like to believe we will consider future such interventions more carefully, unfortunately I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    If I had to lay a bet I’d bet you’re right. And we’ll be back in force to re-take ground.

And I’ve a fuckton of skin in the game.
    It’s already falling. I’d post links but they’re mainly my pay stuff (WSJ and ForeignPolicy). The ANA is giving up in droves, Afghan Commandos not so much, and they’re being executed when possible by the Taliban for that. It’s sad to watch.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    What happens to heavy artillery pieces, tanks, and other heavy equipment? Do we take it out or leave it?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It’s already falling. I’d post links but they’re mainly my pay stuff (WSJ and ForeignPolicy). The ANA is giving up in droves, Afghan Commandos not so much, and they’re being executed when possible by the Taliban for that. It’s sad to watch.
    Gotta respect some tough bastards that fight when they know the end result and that its inevitable. If you can copy and paste Id like to read it.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    What happens to heavy artillery pieces, tanks, and other heavy equipment? Do we take it out or leave it?
    Depends, in this case I think a lot of equipment in general is being left.

It’s already falling, the only person that I’ve heard say they think it’ll hold is Biden, and it’s been a part of many conversations at work lately.

This is hard for a lot of guys. My organization had several KIAs in 2019, to say this is a significant emotional event for many is an understatement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know shit about shit. But I thank you guys from the bottom of my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I was there '03-'04. One of the things I read was to the effect of "America's military is at war, and the rest of America is at the mall."

One thing stood out when I returned - when we got off the plane, there was a line of Vietnam veterans waiting to welcome us home. They had been ignored when they got back and were determined that it wasn't going to happen to us.
    I had a similar experience in 1991 when we got off the plane for a refuel in Bangor, Maine on our way back to Pendleton. Something I'll never forget and will always appreciate.

User Tag List