Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quite an air compressor

My compressor is relatively small, reasonably quiet and used for increasingly short periods as I evolve to rechargeable nailers, pinners, wrenches, impacts, etc.

But air is still the best for many things, and I use muffs or plugs when the compressor needs to run.

+1 for copper air lines, I use copper tubing for the trunk along the ceiling and black pipe for the risers.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Cheapest option (well, until recently) is to get some 3/8" plywood and glue insulation, carpet pad, or any sound-deadening material to it and create a box around the compressor. Kinda rednecky but it works.

Add up all of the material and time you will spend trying to quiet your current compressor, and than see if it would just be easier to go with a screw type.
    My experience is they are much quieter.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Cheapest option (well, until recently) is to get some 3/8" plywood and glue insulation, carpet pad, or any sound-deadening material to it and create a box around the compressor. Kinda rednecky but it works.
    Well some guys go to the limit. They install computer fans for intake and exhaust along with a dc converter. Double walled box with two layers of sound deadening, intake and exhaust boxes with baffling and sound deadening inside, a panel to hold your gauges and on off switch and external drain and removable lid and the box looks furniture grade. You know kinda redneck rivera type box.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

As others mentioned, a friend simply moved it on the other side of the wall of the shop and built a little enclosure. Obviously not as good, but for the effort it would take to put a sound enclosure around it you could just build a little outdoor enclosure on the other side of the wall. Might depend on what faces that side of he shop and all.

I have a similar unit, and it lives in a closet in my basement under the stairs. It is plenty noisy, but if I am cycling it much I am probably out in the garage so it is nice. My wife might not agree if she is siting in the family room, but she is a pretty good sport about it (but I doesn't run often).

A guy that used to live up the street had a shed at the back of his yard and he had his plumbed into the shed, that was a very nice setup. Probably need a good dryer back at the compressor to keep things from freezing, unless he got below the frost line (I think ~36" here).

I know PVC is a bad idea, for the same reason it is a bad idea for building potato guns, but I wonder about PEX? Not rated as high, but if you had a regulator at the compressor (this all ASSumes single stage) it might be an option? Anybody know?

Right now I just have a bunch of 3/8" hose running from the compressor to the workbench and garage, but part of that reason is my uncle was a manufactures' rep for a hose company and one day he gave me a 100ft roll. I am careful to not leave the compressor energized when I am not using it, mainly because I do not want it to cycle while we are sleeping (did I mention it is under the stairs?...) but also I do not want the thing to run constantly and get hot if we are not home. If I remember the shutoff valve at the dryer at the workbench, and remember to pop the air chuck out in the garage, it will hold pressure for a long time.

Ten days later... has anyone noticed the title? I _think_ it is supposed to be "Quiet" an air compressor... and that is what I read, multiple times.

But it is actually "Quite" an air compressor. Almost the same, but not. A joke? A typo? A play on words? Dyslexia? Who knows.

Not a problem, especially for me because apparently I read what I expect to read instead of what is actually there.

And yes, I have a screen shot. For training purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Ten days later... has anyone noticed the title? I _think_ it is supposed to be "Quiet" an air compressor... and that is what I read, multiple times.

But it is actually "Quite" an air compressor. Almost the same, but not. A joke? A typo? A play on words? Dyslexia? Who knows.

Not a problem, especially for me because apparently I read what I expect to read instead of what is actually there.

And yes, I have a screen shot. For training purposes only.
    Thank you for punting that out.
    As an aside the solution for now is do nothing. If Im going to go to the expense of building an enclosure I might as well put it outside. Thanks for all the information. It was most helpful in reaching the final conclusion. Also the shop is undergoing a complete facelift and reorganization in preparation for a (hopefully) full scale production effort.

If you have the money, going with a screw drive compressor is the way to go. They are quieter, have 100% duty cycle and usually end up cheaper to run and maintain over their lifetime vs. cheaper piston units. I have an Atlas-Copco unit and it is only 61db.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If you have the money, going with a screw drive compressor is the way to go. They are quieter, have 100% duty cycle and usually end up cheaper to run and maintain over their lifetime vs. cheaper piston units. I have an Atlas-Copco unit and it is only 61db.
    Sweet setup!

User Tag List