Thread: Intriguing Vega T.A.C.S. Universal Holster

Intriguing Vega T.A.C.S. Universal Holster

Ok, I realize that the concept of a "universal" holster for most of us probably immediately conjurs up images of poorly conceived, floppy, excessively large and poorly thought-out and executed ghosts of holsters from Christmas past. This isn't one of those.

While I'd seen their holsters previously, the ones that I'd seen were leather, and while seemingly nicely executed, didn't really fill any of my holster niche needs, so they didn't receive much more than a passing glance. That changed when I recently received and reviewed Vega's law enforcement oriented duty belt holster, which nudges into the Safariland LEO holster lane quite nicely. I was interested (and impressed) enough to do a deep dive into their website and catalog, where I noticed their T.A.C.S. (Tactical Adaptable Carrier System) 8BL00 Universal Holster.

What piqued my interest was that it appeared to be made of quality components (basically, molded rubber-coated polymer), with universality achieved through expandable side plates held together by elastic bungee cord; there's also an additional bungee cord attached which can be affixed to the pistol grip for additional retention if desired.

While it's available in three colors (black, FDE/tan, and foliage green), mine (thankfully) is in basic black. It comes in Vega's standard poly bag, with Allen wrenches provided for adjustments (a nice touch).

Here's the basic holster, with my Gen3 Glock G21:

First, the expandable bungee cord does indeed very effectively provide for pretty much any and every compact, medium and large-size semi-auto I tried. It provided decent retention, drawability and comfort. As it's designed for belt/duty belt or MOLLE carry, it is a bit bulky, but not so much as to look like a colostomy bag. If you want to use it for effective concealed carry, you'll likely need a appropriately sized vest or jacket that doesn't mold itself to you body contours-in other words, a somewhat loosely draping concealment garment.

It has some extremely well designed features incorporated. First, the belt loops/MOLLE prongs are formed as a hinged fork set-up, which is dual locked by both squeezing the forks into their retaining tab, and then there's a rotating locking tab in the middle to prevent any inadvertent openings.

And then there's a moveable strake which controls the size of the belt channel, where you can select between a variety of belt sizes. I've experienced such strakes before, on an older Blade-Tech holster and magazine pouch, and the strakes simply didn't stay in place very well, at least until I just super-glued them in place (problem solved, albeit at the cost of any future adjustability) Vega deals with this very nicely and effectively by utilizing removable screws to fix the strake in place. It works, and provides a solid and stable mount.

The holster is basically comprised of a front plate, a back plate, a front spine piece which has a molded sight track (nicely sized and expanding in width towards the top) and a back spine piece which has a shelf incorporated for the triggerguard, which effectively positions the triggerguard as well as preventing over-insertion. There are 2 adjustable bungee cords-the main one, which laces the four holster component together, and an additional secondary retention bungee cord which can either be slipped around the hilt of the holstered pistol as a retention device, or secured in place (or taken off totally) if not desired.

I've tried the holster with multiple guns-the G21, G17, G19, G22, HK VP40, P30L, various 5" 1911s, FN High Power and Beretta 92-and it really works, expanding as necessary, and can be further expanded as necessary by adjusting the bungee securing tab.

So-what don't I like? Well, first, if you're using a pistol with an extended magazine release, while the holster plates are somewhat isolated from your body by the belt loop standoff distance, the plates can compress enough in normal use to inadvertently actuate the magazine release, which I experienced with my Glocks that I'm running with the Glock Extended Magazine releases. The first image below shows the magazine release as its being holstered, the second once holstered. It works fine with a standard magazine release, but for anything else, I'd be pretty wary, especially if you intend to use the holster for duty or defensive purposes.

Second, it is a bit bulky, as I've already discussed. The holster is designed to provide you with an effective, workable draw grip, but not a perfect one, as many receivers will be positioned a bit low in the holster-that's where a pistol-specific holster will likely provide a superior draw grip.

I really like the holster's concept and utility. I plan on using it with the G21 in an upcoming IDPA match, and have used it several times for duty already.

Here's the final kicker: Cost is only about $50 'Murrican. The molding and rubber coating appear to be excellent, and it doesn't mar the finish of any of the semi-autos that I've used in it. As a general holster, or when you're likely to be switching between several guns in a session/duty, I'd recommend it for consideration. The set-up is reversible if you're a lefty, and the grip/presentment angle is also adjustable as well. It really is a well-thought out modular approach, and is designed to work with both standard iron-sighted and RDS sighted pistols.

Here's a link to the website: https://vegaholsterusa.com/collectio...products/8bl00

And a YouTube video of it Vega put together: https://youtu.be/aYQc14I3E1I

In addition to the holster, the T.A.C.S. system also similar pistol and rifle magazine pouches/carriers in several carry configurations.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-14-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Those cord locks and that excess cord makes me nervous when similar materials on the hems of jackets have gotten caught in/on the gun impeding function and/or triggering a shot unintentionally.

I know that a "gadget" and other systems can mitigate that.

I want to like it but I do not know...
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Those cord locks and that excess cord makes me nervous when similar materials on the hems of jackets have gotten caught in/on the gun impeding function and/or triggering a shot unintentionally.

I know that a "gadget" and other systems can mitigate that.

I want to like it but I do not know...
    The primary cord (the one trailing at the bottom) hasn't provided any issues in use. As an experiment, after your comment, I pushed it into the bottom to see if it could somehow catch the trigger, and there isn't enough length. Alternatively, you can certainly cut the excess, or continue to knot to the excess to diminish its length. You could also secure the loose tail underneith one of the bungee loops on the back of the holster, interlacing them.

The secondary retention bungee is simply tucked underneith the belt loop/MOLLE plate, where it's secure and out of sight, but available if desired. Its tail is much shorter, so I don't see any isue with it at all.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Good Information. Thank you for taking the time to check it out.

DB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Is that a Warren grip assist sleeve I see?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Is that a Warren grip assist sleeve I see?
    Yup, I was wondering if anyone would notice and comment. I decided to experiment with two of them a year or so back. On is on my G21, the other on my G22 (which I use with both its OEM .40 barrel and a Gock .357 SIG barrel).

Scott Warren's grip sleeve, with it prominent fin used to instinctively position the support hand has not fared particularly well with users on this forum with several users who experimented with it when it first came out, but I decided to give it a try first with the G21 and then with the G22. My thoughts are that it would be potentially most beneficial with heavier recoiling/quicker pressure spiking chamberered pistols. After I got mine, I discovered that two shooting acquaintences, both professional senior LEOs and far better shooters than I have been simultaneously using them with generally quite good results. They recommended cutting down the fin by about 50% for best results based on their experiences, which I've also done.

I'm especially pleased with the results with the G21, which for me is my most difficult Glock to shoot quickly and accurately (the gun itself is intrinsically quite accurate), due to the combination of the cartridge characteristics and the physica dimensions of the G21 (mine is a Gen 3 "big butt," i.e., non-SF variant; I've experimented with a Gen4 G21, and found that I actually preferred the Gen 3; the Gen4 changes didn't seem to have any real beneficial effects on me, at least regarding th G21).

I'll be shooting the G21 as configured in an IDPA match this weekend-and with the Vega holster, and subsequently later in the month at the Port Townsend GSSF match in two divisions (Guardian and Heavy Metal).

Best, Jon

I'm curious...

Have you experienced any slipping (or rotation) of the grip assist sleeve, or has it always stayed in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    I'm curious...

Have you experienced any slipping (or rotation) of the grip assist sleeve, or has it always stayed in place?
    No slippage or rotation whatsoever on both my Gen 3 G21 and Gen4 G22; once installed, you can move to adjust with some effort, but bascally once installed thay stay put. And the rubber has a nice sticky formulation too, which assists in gripbiity (but doesn't seem to grab on or bunch up clothing). I've been using them on both guns for about a year, and in both IWB and OWB holsters.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-18-2021 at 05:32 PM.

How do you think the holster would work with semi .22s, G44, Buckmark or Ruger Mark III/IV, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    How do you think the holster would work with semi .22s, G44, Buckmark or Ruger Mark III/IV, etc.?
    I think that they'd work just fine.

Best, Jon

User Tag List